cereal set up

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
we are a continental breakfast only place. we don't have a license to cook food other than baked goods.
So we put out an assortment of store bought yummies, but my question is about cereal.
For those of you who put out cereal, how do you do it? I think a pleasing presentation would be loose cereal or granola in a glass jar, but then, do I have to discard all that wasn't eaten?
It is winter and construction season, so we bought a couple packages of 'snack pack' cereals in single serving boxes.
Tacky? Or good variety?

I have two of the Rosseto EZ-SERV100 set up next to each other. The other company that makes them is Zevro.

We have the individual serving boxes. Guests love the choice. No one touches the 'open' granola. (I guess if I labeled it 'homemade' that would change.)
Right now you don't know what your market likes for cereal. (I'm guessing.) You can buy the larger snack pack choices at BJ's or Sam's. You get 36 boxes of cereal. Brings the price down instead of the 6 packs that are at the grocery store.
Once you know your market you can buy cases of ONE type of single serve cereal (Amazon is a good source, check around, prices vary wildly/widely!)
We get raisin bran, corn flakes and mini wheats. We go thru a case (72 boxes) in a season.
What's always leftover? Apple Jacks. Raisin Bran and Mini Wheats go the fastest. YMMV.
I like the small boxes because they're sealed and they don't get stale or buggy and I don't have to mess around with dispensers. (Sugar Bear mentions these.) But it is more expensive and there's a lot more to throw out everyday with all the boxes.

Interesting that your granola doesn't go. hmmmm. Sugar, I looked at those dispensers. they looked like a good idea.
Does anyone do crock pot oatmeal? Looks like a great winter breakfast.

I too use the single serving boxes, I have SpecialK, corn flakes, rice crispies and crunchy nut. The only problem I have with these is the local Cash&Carry only stocks them in boxes of 40. It's not unknown for them to go out of date before they're all used, I have to watch the dates on any I buy at this time of year, particularly.
We also offer porridge and DIY muesli. This is a muesli base in a jar accompanied by a set of jars containing pumpkin seeds, dried banana pieces, vine fruits, diced pineapple, sunflower seeds and dried berries. Basically people mix the muesli to their own taste. That's very popular too.

Interesting that your granola doesn't go. hmmmm. Sugar, I looked at those dispensers. they looked like a good idea.
Does anyone do crock pot oatmeal? Looks like a great winter breakfast..
Would you be allowed to do a baked oatmeal? Maybe keep it warm in a crock pot? (Sorry, I tried to do a search on the recipe but Google is not allowing me to go to ANY recipe sites right now. Wonder what I did wrong!)

Does anyone do crock pot oatmeal? Looks like a great winter breakfast..
Would you be allowed to do a baked oatmeal? Maybe keep it warm in a crock pot? (Sorry, I tried to do a search on the recipe but Google is not allowing me to go to ANY recipe sites right now. Wonder what I did wrong!)
Madeleine said:
I looked up baked oatmeal and it looks like a great idea! Thanks!

i like the little boxes of cereal. keeps fresher that way. and no worries about people putting their fingers into cereal dispensers to taste or trying to put cereal back into one, both of which i witnessed at a hotel.
omg_smile.gif
one woman licked her finger and rammed it into the little spout to do a taste test. couldn't believe it.
when i ran a b&b, i piled the little boxes in a rustic basket or wooden box (it was not an elegant place) a few of each kind. i liked how it looked. guests could pick and choose.

we have the small boxes and a locally produced muslie which is very popular which is displayed in a large wooden bowl with a serving spoon - because we are a bit larger the cereal doesn't have a chance to go off before its eaten

We put out small 'snack pack' cereal boxes. They are gone. I guess we go with the individual servings. We also put out serving jars of Kashi cereal, Cheerios and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. The Cheerios were the most popular.
We're going to join Costco and do the individual boxes. Easy, clean, popular. What more could I ask?

This past weekend we put out bins of Cheerios, Corn Flakes and Raisin Bran. The Raisin Bran was cleaned out! The others were untouched.

Back