Change in frequency and authorship of reviews

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't noticed any uptick in reviews at all..
We just had a great review in TripAdvisor disappear. What a bummer.
RIki
The same thing just happened to me too! It was there, then poof! It was gone!
I wonder if, when someone removes their membership, all their reviews go away with them? Very unsettling to lose a 5 star review! Of course, it never happens with a bad one!
We have one infamous competitor in our town who does make his many bad ones disappear. The other B & B owners suspect he offers a full refund to the reviewers to have them take their own review down. It's very consistent that his horrific reviews are not up for long. A shame too, since folks need to be warned! The rest of us get same day customers who left his place shortly after arrival. He's a hoarder who runs a B&B - imagine! The rooms are fine but one glimpse of the kitchen (which he tries to not allow) and they're gone!
I didn't know a guest could remove a review once it's written.

RIki
The same thing just happened to me too! It was there, then poof! It was gone!
I wonder if, when someone removes their membership, all their reviews go away with them? Very unsettling to lose a 5 star review! Of course, it never happens with a bad one!
We have one infamous competitor in our town who does make his many bad ones disappear. The other B & B owners suspect he offers a full refund to the reviewers to have them take their own review down. It's very consistent that his horrific reviews are not up for long. A shame too, since folks need to be warned! The rest of us get same day customers who left his place shortly after arrival. He's a hoarder who runs a B&B - imagine! The rooms are fine but one glimpse of the kitchen (which he tries to not allow) and they're gone!
I didn't know a guest could remove a review once it's written.
You can email TA and ask for it to be deleted.
Also I believe TA sends new reviewers an email with a confirmation link in it, it guests don't click to provethey own the email address any reviews will disappear, which is what Morticia is referring to. Has happened to us as well.
We've just regained out no.2 slot on TA, no hope of attaining No.1 as they have a 100% record and nothing but 5/5s. Although there is a rumour that they are moving towards the end of this year....so maybe......

RIki
Do you have any idea why?
Pollyanna said:
Do you have any idea why?
I had the same thing happen. Someone said that the guest did not respond to a request to verify authorship. I don't know if that's the case or not but the review never came back after it disappeared. I was peeved because I finally got 5 whole stars with that review. Now I'm back to 4.5.
You really shouldn't obsess about the number of stars (or bubbles, or whatever) for the aggregate rating. I had all 5 star reviews and had a 4.5 in the #1 spot....it's all part of their formula. As a guest, I'm more interested in the comments and content of the reviews, not the overall average. It really will be what it is since we can only do our best and not control what the guests say. :)

Back