Change in frequency and authorship of reviews

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Tipsy Butler

Reaction score
There's been a definite shift in my usual pattern of reviews. The first change is that they are appearing much more frequently. I'm wondering whether it has something to do with the current economic climate and people being more aware and more appreciative. Or, is it simply because we are quieter than usual, which means I'm less stressed and can offer a better "product".
The other change is that my last two reviews have been from men ... and ..... well ... that's just really unusual. It's generally the female half of the couple that takes the time to write something.
Anyone else noticed similar changes or is it just me being "odd" AGAIN.

No uptake on mine, same slow molasses running up hill in winter.
I do have men write reviews for us however, it is just the wives who send out all the birthday cards.
wink_smile.gif

I haven't noticed any uptick in reviews at all..
Interesting. The reviews are tending to be longer too. I'm thinking people are noticing more than they used (ie taking less for granted). It's great, but I'm nervous about the heightened expectations of "new" guests. This is particularly true when it comes to breakfasts - I've done too good a job of fooling people into thinking I know what I'm doing. I think my days of getting away with an abundance of enthusiasm may be drawing to a close.

Stop! Don't worry about the great reviews. Love what you do and they will love you! That is what it is all about. :)

Interesting. The reviews are tending to be longer too. I'm thinking people are noticing more than they used (ie taking less for granted). It's great, but I'm nervous about the heightened expectations of "new" guests. This is particularly true when it comes to breakfasts - I've done too good a job of fooling people into thinking I know what I'm doing. I think my days of getting away with an abundance of enthusiasm may be drawing to a close.
Keep in mind that the new guests don't really know what they're getting into until they get there, so the enthusiasm will still get you thru with them. The repeats know what they're getting and they come back, so all is good!
I can almost guarantee that none, zip, nada, nil of the people this week who got specially prepared meals just for their particular dietary issue will ever so much as thank us on the way out the door, much less write a review. Mostly because they think it's our job to do this.

I have a lot more people tell me they chose this B&B because of the reviews. People are paying more attention to what others say, and expecting more for their money. I worry a little about peoples' expectations after reading the reviews also, but I can only do the best I can do. If I don't impress someone, or heaven forbid, disappoint someone...well...you can't please all the people all the time.

I have a lot more people tell me they chose this B&B because of the reviews. People are paying more attention to what others say, and expecting more for their money. I worry a little about peoples' expectations after reading the reviews also, but I can only do the best I can do. If I don't impress someone, or heaven forbid, disappoint someone...well...you can't please all the people all the time..
This is why I am perfectly happy to hold down 3rd place on TA. The excessive pressure to perform is off.

the reviews are lovely ... wonderful ... and glowing. try to enjoy it! you're doing everything right. i just worry that you'll stress out if a grump shows up who can't be pleased.

Thanks for giving me a little chuckle before heading to bed for the night!
regular_smile.gif

the reviews are lovely ... wonderful ... and glowing. try to enjoy it! you're doing everything right. i just worry that you'll stress out if a grump shows up who can't be pleased..
Ah Hah ..... That's when I tend to have my fun. As long as DH doesn't get stressed and grumpy FOR me, I love turning the frown upside down (do you remember my "maintenance man" guests?).
The guests that drive me nuts are the "we're easy" guests that almost always turn out to be the neediest and really don't appreciate the effort because they STILL think they are "easy".
p.s. - I'm REALLY enjoying it. My guests this year have generally been awesome (with one marked exception) .... I just worry that I'm not going to live up to expectations.

I think people have finally reallised that not all places are the same! (Gosh what a shocker!) and that price is not the only thing that is important!!!! So are looking a little deeper at what they are buying which to my mind is a good thing and people who are only looking for the cheepest price make me loose patience. For example the Holiday Inn opposite us does a double room for $110 dollars but what they don't tell you is that it is $35 for breakfast, $20 for parking, $30 for Wi-Fi and twice the price of drinks in the bar. So what seems to be a cheep deal is actually more expensive than I am and I do all those things for Free! I think people are finally wising up to this pricing strategy and looking to see what is included. However this is not always the case as my mate Alex sells his rooms as room only and you pay extra for breakfast if you want it and so many people don't have a clue what they have booked.

Interesting post. I just got this in email this morning from TA, perhaps you have too.....
"Travelers look at a lot of different information when evaluating properties online: overall rating, price, and location certainly, but also guest reviews. For many travelers, the details provided in reviews are in many ways a better reflection of service quality and customer satisfaction than overall ratings. Not surprisingly, researchers are beginning to analyze review-writing behavior, to see what patterns emerge from thousands of guest reviews. The attached research summary * describes an analysis of guest reviews that seeks to understand the ratio of positive to negative reviews, find common characteristics among negative and positive reviews, and determine what customer behaviors and expectations lead to reviews that hoteliers and innkeepers need to be aware of."

We just had a great review in TripAdvisor disappear. What a bummer.
RIki
Do you have any idea why?
Pollyanna said:
Do you have any idea why?
I had the same thing happen. Someone said that the guest did not respond to a request to verify authorship. I don't know if that's the case or not but the review never came back after it disappeared. I was peeved because I finally got 5 whole stars with that review. Now I'm back to 4.5.

We just had a great review in TripAdvisor disappear. What a bummer.
RIki
The same thing just happened to me too! It was there, then poof! It was gone!
I wonder if, when someone removes their membership, all their reviews go away with them? Very unsettling to lose a 5 star review! Of course, it never happens with a bad one!
We have one infamous competitor in our town who does make his many bad ones disappear. The other B & B owners suspect he offers a full refund to the reviewers to have them take their own review down. It's very consistent that his horrific reviews are not up for long. A shame too, since folks need to be warned! The rest of us get same day customers who left his place shortly after arrival. He's a hoarder who runs a B&B - imagine! The rooms are fine but one glimpse of the kitchen (which he tries to not allow) and they're gone!

Back