Changes to TA?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Anyone notice any changes to TA today? Suddenly my listing is showing things like 'parking' and 'pet friendly' that weren't there before.

Looks like they did add in some new tabs with more info, photos, maps etc. And wow...I just went to check on another site I know and found this message: in a big box and in bright red!!!
Message from TripAdvisor: TripAdvisor has reasonable cause to believe that either this property or individuals associated with the property may have attempted to manipulate our popularity index by interfering with the unbiased nature of our reviews. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans.

Hmm, mine doesn't have anything new. I will have to check the owner's account to see if I can update some items. Methinks TA has decided to go after the directory business.

Hmm, mine doesn't have anything new. I will have to check the owner's account to see if I can update some items. Methinks TA has decided to go after the directory business..
You can update a ton of stuff in your owner's account, none of which will show up.
sad_smile.gif
I went thru the whole thing earlier this summer and then again when that email came out a month or so ago. Changed everything. Added amenities, etc. Until today not even the parking symbol showed.
I don't know what all I checked off for my inn, but parking and pet friendly were the only ones they took. I think I listed a range of prices as well. But the map is wrong. I'm going to have to do research into why Google has moved my inn again on every Google map except Google local.
Yes, definitely looks like they are after the extra $$$ for a directory-like listing. Heck, they have enough of the properties out there and they didn't have to send a bazillion emails out begging places to sign up.

Hmm, mine doesn't have anything new. I will have to check the owner's account to see if I can update some items. Methinks TA has decided to go after the directory business..
You can update a ton of stuff in your owner's account, none of which will show up.
sad_smile.gif
I went thru the whole thing earlier this summer and then again when that email came out a month or so ago. Changed everything. Added amenities, etc. Until today not even the parking symbol showed.
I don't know what all I checked off for my inn, but parking and pet friendly were the only ones they took. I think I listed a range of prices as well. But the map is wrong. I'm going to have to do research into why Google has moved my inn again on every Google map except Google local.
Yes, definitely looks like they are after the extra $$$ for a directory-like listing. Heck, they have enough of the properties out there and they didn't have to send a bazillion emails out begging places to sign up.
Google maps....grr...this morning I FINALLY decided it was time to get rid of the B & B listing. Took me over an half hour to delete it...GRRRR..they don't make it easy. Talk about a run around. IT said it was deleted, but I am still finding it...maybe I have to empty my cache. I assumed it took immediately.

the "details" on ours is exactly what I put in under the owners mgmt page. So I am guessing this is all in prep for them going "directory" in Jan 2010. I also changed my thumbnail - uploading new pics - which go to the end of the current guest fuzzy horrible pix - and selecting one as my new main photo/thumbnail.
So far so good, will be interested to see what happens we when PAY for TA. Will we have more control then? We shall soon see.
I am looking at yours J - get some owner posted images on there and they will show first! You can add high rez too up to 4 mb

Looks like they did add in some new tabs with more info, photos, maps etc. And wow...I just went to check on another site I know and found this message: in a big box and in bright red!!!
Message from TripAdvisor: TripAdvisor has reasonable cause to believe that either this property or individuals associated with the property may have attempted to manipulate our popularity index by interfering with the unbiased nature of our reviews. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans..
catlady said:
I just went to check on another site I know and found this message: in a big box and in bright red!!!
Message from TripAdvisor: TripAdvisor has reasonable cause to believe that either this property or individuals associated with the property may have attempted to manipulate our popularity index by interfering with the unbiased nature of our reviews. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans.
That will make Tim Toad happy.

I lost a diamond earring while stripping wallpaper when we first moved here (I did not realize I had them in at the time). My DH asked me why I was only wearing one earring. So I started going through the bag of wallpaper pieces but decided it was not worth it. The earring was a rock - not one of my children nor my husband, and it was insured! Insurance company replaced it. Ended up giving them to my daughter.

Message from TripAdvisor: TripAdvisor has reasonable cause to believe that either this property or individuals associated with the property may have attempted to manipulate our popularity index by interfering with the unbiased nature of our reviews. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans..
This is kind of interesting and disturbing at the same time. They don't actually say the property is guilty of it, they just suggest they might be. TripAdvisor should either throw out the reviews they think are questionable, or some other action, but they need to get off the fence. I think this could come back to bite them in court because they are saying they can't prove it, but they suspect it....well if you can't prove it, you can't put it in writing because that is actionable. TripAdvisor can't hide behind the usual tactics that apply to their posters saying well it is third party content so we can't be held accountable. In this case the content is TripAdvisors and they can be held accountable for it.
They've also created a disturbing loophole...they've made it possible for someone else to directly impact someone else's listing. TripAdvisor has always had to look out for someone submitting BAD reviews for another place, and GOOD reviews about their own place, but now they have to be on the lookout for someone submitting GLOWING reviews about someone else's place. (example... submit enough fictitious glowing reviews about someone elses place and get that place labeled with the mark of shame "this property MAY be attempting to influence our system")

This is kind of interesting and disturbing at the same time. They don't actually say the property is guilty of it, they just suggest they might be. TripAdvisor should either throw out the reviews they think are questionable, or some other action, but they need to get off the fence. I think this could come back to bite them in court because they are saying they can't prove it, but they suspect it....well if you can't prove it, you can't put it in writing because that is actionable. TripAdvisor can't hide behind the usual tactics that apply to their posters saying well it is third party content so we can't be held accountable. In this case the content is TripAdvisors and they can be held accountable for it.
They've also created a disturbing loophole...they've made it possible for someone else to directly impact someone else's listing. TripAdvisor has always had to look out for someone submitting BAD reviews for another place, and GOOD reviews about their own place, but now they have to be on the lookout for someone submitting GLOWING reviews about someone else's place. (example... submit enough fictitious glowing reviews about someone elses place and get that place labeled with the mark of shame "this property MAY be attempting to influence our system")
Yes, this concerned me as well because..you know they aren't spending anytime checking their thousands of reviews. Why would they do this unless someone filed a complaint?

Yes, this concerned me as well because..you know they aren't spending anytime checking their thousands of reviews. Why would they do this unless someone filed a complaint?
Well it now appears the RED FLAG language has been removed. The owners put in a MGT Response...so don't know if that appeased TA or what. But what triggered the red flag?? Some keywords??? who knows...but not a good thing.

Back