Changing blog templates

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
I found a couple of neat new templates I wanted to try for my blog. I downloaded one of them and previewed how it would look. Not bad except there was no way to remove the test photos that come with the template so I was stuck with desert vistas. OK, back to the drawing board. I decided to just back out of the download and leave things as they are. No. There is no 'change you mind' feature on blogger. You download it, you bought it.
Took me over an hour to download my old template and remove all the new crap blogger added in the meantime.
All the while this is live. There ought to be a way to 'test drive' a new template without it being what everyone is seeing as you're doing it.
Now, does anyone out there have a way to do what I just said I couldn't do? Test out different templates without going immediately live?
Also, anyone know how to get social media 'share this' links in a blog post? Apparently it is as simple as checking a box but it seems the template I have doesn't care what box you check or uncheck, it publishes what it wants to publish. (I tried editing the HTML and blogger wouldn't save it.)
Not a good day here on the farm.

Hi Madeline,
I use Wordpress for my blogging needs, but I think I was able to find a solution to one of your problems.
To add sharing to Blogger, the most common add-on is "Add This." I found this tutorial which is pretty detailed and should be easy to follow: Add This tutorial
I couldn't find much information about previewing a different theme. One way that you could do is to set the blog as private so no one can access the site at all - not very convenient though. Or you could setup a dummy blog, import the information, but keep it private to play around with.
Let me know if this words or I can be of further assistance.

Hi Madeline,
I use Wordpress for my blogging needs, but I think I was able to find a solution to one of your problems.
To add sharing to Blogger, the most common add-on is "Add This." I found this tutorial which is pretty detailed and should be easy to follow: Add This tutorial
I couldn't find much information about previewing a different theme. One way that you could do is to set the blog as private so no one can access the site at all - not very convenient though. Or you could setup a dummy blog, import the information, but keep it private to play around with.
Let me know if this words or I can be of further assistance..
Thanks James. I did what is shown in the tutorial whne I first set up the blog. It seems it's the template I'm using that won't allow the use of sharing. So, I undid everything in the blog edit, saved it and viewed the blog. Half of what I said 'don't show' was still there. So, I'm pretty sure it's the template driving what gets shown. I tried editing the HTML and blogger wouldn't save it. I may just try that again today and see if it works. Could just have been bad timing and a busy server.
My next attempt at changing the template was going to be start a dummy blog and play around with the templates there first. Right now I'm just happy to be back where I started out yesterday!

Hi Madeline,
Let me know if this words or I can be of further assistance..
Thanks James. I did what is shown in the tutorial whne I first set up the blog. It seems it's the template I'm using that won't allow the use of sharing. So, I undid everything in the blog edit, saved it and viewed the blog. Half of what I said 'don't show' was still there. So, I'm pretty sure it's the template driving what gets shown. I tried editing the HTML and blogger wouldn't save it. I may just try that again today and see if it works. Could just have been bad timing and a busy server.
My next attempt at changing the template was going to be start a dummy blog and play around with the templates there first. Right now I'm just happy to be back where I started out yesterday!
YOu need to get your entire site switched to wordpress and include your blog in it. Yes, it will take you some time, but you will be much better off. Just create a new directory for wordpress, work on it as you can and when done you can transfer the files to your root directoy.

Back