Changing webpage filenames

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Would this be considered 'different' by Google etal: 'rooms.php' and 'rooms' with no file extension (as in doing the site in WP or other blog template)?

A .php file extension is processed by your file server and is usually associated with a database. HTML files are generated by this on the fly. So, it's not so much of a browser issue, but rather a server issue. SWIRT, am I wrong?
I'm not sure, but I would think (depending on your server) it might create problems in processing the page without the extension.

In terms of location, yes the following are considered distinct / different pages
mysite,com/rooms
mysite,com/rooms.php
mysite,com/rooms.htm
mysite,com/rooms.html

To expand on where I think you are going with this. If on your old site you had
mysite,com/rooms.htm
and on your new site you had
mysite,com/rooms
Then you must (from the very beginining of the switch), set up a proper 301 redirect so that any requests for the original page, re-writes to the new page location. This will transfer the page history. It is a pain but it is absolutely worth doing.

To expand on where I think you are going with this. If on your old site you had
mysite,com/rooms.htm
and on your new site you had
mysite,com/rooms
Then you must (from the very beginining of the switch), set up a proper 301 redirect so that any requests for the original page, re-writes to the new page location. This will transfer the page history. It is a pain but it is absolutely worth doing..
I second this and yet I have never done it. I have just gone for it and lost tons of Google traffic, which would be the less recommended way. :)

Back