Changing your policies after a guest has made a rez

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Had an interesting conversation today with a couple on their honeymoon who made a one-night rez at a B&B in the city near me. They called the B&B last night to let them know they were running late and they were told their rez had been cancelled because the B&B no longer did one night stays. The guests had their confirmation for their one night and the B&B stated they had sent a follow up email saying the rez was cancelled as they had changed their policy after the guest received the confirmation.
So, we got a nice honeymoon couple here for the last night of their honeymoon.

Dont' think that is on. It always reminds me of when the Fern B&B in Harrogate closed they didn't tell anyone they were shutting just disapeared leaving the estate agent to deal with the internal furnishings which were sold off. We were there buying things and guests kept turning up! that is awful and awful for the new owners to if they keep having guests ringing on the bell to check in.

Not the way to win over guests is it. Changing policies that affects anyone that has currently booked should remain under the old policy. This is difficult when it is something that requires lots of effort but this is a no brainer... a note in the file saying date reservation was made should keep all on track. It does take a little effort due to openings over the weekend, but those can be worked out as well.
Those owners/innkeepers did not think things through and a simple email doing this is no way for a business to handle these matters. - Sure it eliminates the grief of hearing the
potty-mouth.gif
from the guest but not the correct procedure. And in this case,
potty-mouth.gif
is what is in order.
Well IKE, they found the right place, should have booked with you in the first place!

Not the way to win over guests is it. Changing policies that affects anyone that has currently booked should remain under the old policy. This is difficult when it is something that requires lots of effort but this is a no brainer... a note in the file saying date reservation was made should keep all on track. It does take a little effort due to openings over the weekend, but those can be worked out as well.
Those owners/innkeepers did not think things through and a simple email doing this is no way for a business to handle these matters. - Sure it eliminates the grief of hearing the
potty-mouth.gif
from the guest but not the correct procedure. And in this case,
potty-mouth.gif
is what is in order.
Well IKE, they found the right place, should have booked with you in the first place!.
copperhead said:
Well IKE, they found the right place, should have booked with you in the first place!
Too true!

Very bad form. I would never do that. When I make a mistake or a change I don't let it affect standing bookings. Terrible!
RIki

Dont' think that is on. It always reminds me of when the Fern B&B in Harrogate closed they didn't tell anyone they were shutting just disapeared leaving the estate agent to deal with the internal furnishings which were sold off. We were there buying things and guests kept turning up! that is awful and awful for the new owners to if they keep having guests ringing on the bell to check in..
Same thread, not B&B. A long time ago, my office rented a downtown space that had formerly - we learned later - been a massage parlor, and not the theraputic type. We got customers for over a year, mainly Japanese businessmen referred by friends. They were sure this computer, desks, etc. all was a front for the real thing and they insisted there was a "Susie" they could meet.

Dont' think that is on. It always reminds me of when the Fern B&B in Harrogate closed they didn't tell anyone they were shutting just disapeared leaving the estate agent to deal with the internal furnishings which were sold off. We were there buying things and guests kept turning up! that is awful and awful for the new owners to if they keep having guests ringing on the bell to check in..
Same thread, not B&B. A long time ago, my office rented a downtown space that had formerly - we learned later - been a massage parlor, and not the theraputic type. We got customers for over a year, mainly Japanese businessmen referred by friends. They were sure this computer, desks, etc. all was a front for the real thing and they insisted there was a "Susie" they could meet.
Tom said:
[/quote
Now thats funny!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

No way, no how - that's totally unacceptable. I am so happy they ended up with you.

Back