Charge extra for one night stay?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
If you do 2 night minimums and someone really only wants one night, how much extra would you charge to 'break up the set'?

In October which is busy for us we usually hold out for Fri/Sat combinations unless a guest was beginning or ending a longer period on one of those days, but we prefer both days together as it makes life easier, not really a question of the money.
Other times it is usually just Saturday that is the strongest day that we either require two nights unless someone has booked Friday.

I usually charge 10% extra, but not on weekends..
Generic said:
I usually charge 10% extra, but not on weekends.
It's only weekends. This summer has been so awful I'm having to take one night stays. Whole house change over today and tomorrow. Same next weekend.

This is a route I'd like to go down, it's just that my booking system doesn't support it (at the moment).
How badly do you want to put these people off and how much of a pain is it if they book?

Short answer...what ever you think you can get without losing the reservation or your sanity. We have a 3-night minimum but occasionally will give a 2-night reservation if we don't think we can get the full 3 nights or if we need a break. $25/night rate increase for a shorter stay. We never do 1 night anymore but have gotten $50 more in the past.

Do you know or have an estimate of how much it costs to change over a room (labor, laundry, administrative overhead including managing the reservation, etc...)? Bump that estimate up by 10 to 20% because invariably there are costs that you've overlooked or underestimated. That's the surcharge I would charge for a one night stay if my minimum were longer...

Generic said:
It's only weekends. This summer has been so awful I'm having to take one night stays. Whole house change over today and tomorrow. Same next weekend.
Put your rate up, add a discount for 2 nights rather than a surcharge for single nights.
Say your rate is $100, set it at $125 and then offer 20% off. You get $125 for a single night but $125*2*.08=$200 for two nights.

Generic said:
Put your rate up, add a discount for 2 nights rather than a surcharge for single nights.
Say your rate is $100, set it at $125 and then offer 20% off. You get $125 for a single night but $125*2*.08=$200 for two nights.
I think we've hit our maximum room charge in this climate. We're getting a lot of pushback on prices this year, in spite of being $150 less than the local mid level hotels.
But I get what you're saying. Easier to get people to pay more when they already know they are making the choice to do so. And maybe more will stay additional nights if it appears to be a discount.

Do you know or have an estimate of how much it costs to change over a room (labor, laundry, administrative overhead including managing the reservation, etc...)? Bump that estimate up by 10 to 20% because invariably there are costs that you've overlooked or underestimated. That's the surcharge I would charge for a one night stay if my minimum were longer....
We've never figured out how much anything costs. I know how irresponsible that sounds. For me it's more of the annoyance factor than cost.

Generic said:
I think we've hit our maximum room charge in this climate. We're getting a lot of pushback on prices this year, in spite of being $150 less than the local mid level hotels.
But I get what you're saying. Easier to get people to pay more when they already know they are making the choice to do so. And maybe more will stay additional nights if it appears to be a discount.
And you can listing on BK and elsewhere at $125 per night, because that is your standard rate.... They get $100 for 2 nights if they book with you. Nice thing on Reskey is that it will show like this:
Price Per Night $125.00
Online Booking Discount $100.00
Looks like they are getting a deal. I know you aren't in Reskey, but your software SHOULD do this, but if it doesn't... one more reason to convert.

Do you know or have an estimate of how much it costs to change over a room (labor, laundry, administrative overhead including managing the reservation, etc...)? Bump that estimate up by 10 to 20% because invariably there are costs that you've overlooked or underestimated. That's the surcharge I would charge for a one night stay if my minimum were longer....
ours costs about £3.00 more in labour, sheets and towels as a full change is about £5.20 for a king room with a full set of towels - plus my personal time of taking the booking, checking in etc - Costs at least £10 for for a change than a service plus more bother.

This is a route I'd like to go down, it's just that my booking system doesn't support it (at the moment).
How badly do you want to put these people off and how much of a pain is it if they book?.
I thought you had your own, custom booking system ...

How badly do you want to put these people off and how much of a pain is it if they book?.
I do, and I've wrestled with various solutions to the 1 nighters problem but they've never been enough of an issue to make me got to the effort of coding a solution, possibly until now. This year has seen a big jump in one nighters so I think this winter I'm really going to have to sit down a code something,
Do I do as Monica is doing and try and price them out or do I set a minimum stay and be strict about it?
If I do a minimum stay I don't want to be left with empty rooms, so a hard/soft option seems the best solution. I set Minimum stay to hard early in the year which means the system will simply not allow 1 night bookings in particular months, when I change a month to "soft" the system allows people to book but doesn't confirm instead referring the booking to me to either manually confirm or refuse.
The other thing I want the system to do is to allow orphan room/nights to be booked no matter what the minimum stay setting.

I do, and I've wrestled with various solutions to the 1 nighters problem but they've never been enough of an issue to make me got to the effort of coding a solution, possibly until now. This year has seen a big jump in one nighters so I think this winter I'm really going to have to sit down a code something,
Do I do as Monica is doing and try and price them out or do I set a minimum stay and be strict about it?
If I do a minimum stay I don't want to be left with empty rooms, so a hard/soft option seems the best solution. I set Minimum stay to hard early in the year which means the system will simply not allow 1 night bookings in particular months, when I change a month to "soft" the system allows people to book but doesn't confirm instead referring the booking to me to either manually confirm or refuse.
The other thing I want the system to do is to allow orphan room/nights to be booked no matter what the minimum stay setting.
The one thing that I have never been able to find in a software solution is an option for single attached nights. For example, if someone booked Thursday and Friday, then Saturday should allow a single night because it's adjacent and doesn't create a hole. Versus someone taking a Saturday when Friday isn't booked and creating a hole.

The one thing that I have never been able to find in a software solution is an option for single attached nights. For example, if someone booked Thursday and Friday, then Saturday should allow a single night because it's adjacent and doesn't create a hole. Versus someone taking a Saturday when Friday isn't booked and creating a hole.
Is it reskey people recommend? what I really want as a feature if we do change is where I can set up a code so regulars (we have a lot of business travelers) can have a set rate they can make a booking, any room using code and get that rate every time - can't seem to find anyone who does this. my uk can set up so they automatically get a discount but that isn't what I want

Is it reskey people recommend? what I really want as a feature if we do change is where I can set up a code so regulars (we have a lot of business travelers) can have a set rate they can make a booking, any room using code and get that rate every time - can't seem to find anyone who does this. my uk can set up so they automatically get a discount but that isn't what I want
Is that a standard discount amount or percentage? In that case, you can create a code for that. Or even a personal code to do that. Set it up under Discount Code. For the 20% off for 2 nights, that's easier. In the rate plan, it's in adjustments.

Of all the things my system doesn't do, it does let me set up discount codes. Guest enters code and the room is discounted by a % or $ amount. Which does not give the person the same price regardless of room, so maybe that's not what you need.

At the NE Inn we had a two night stay online, but our reviews says that you can get an one night stay by calling. When they call we state our one night room rate and "sell" them the room that already has an one nighter in it for the other nights so one room might have one nighters in it for Thurs, Fri, and Sat, etc. and its our quickest room to change over.

We've never figured out how much anything costs. I know how irresponsible that sounds. For me it's more of the annoyance factor than cost.
I dont charge any extra! We are in an area where there are a lot of one nighters so it is more profitable to rent room to them than have it empty.

Back