Charge for Credit card

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ice

Reaction score
DH and I just came back from going out to eat. They charged him a $1 surcharge because he used a credit card. You can look at it this way it is only a $1 but what the heck it is my $1. They didn't even say anthing till he paid. I feel I don't want to send guest there even though it is close. Would you call and tell them you don't agree and tell him you will not send guest there. What would you do???

Call your credit card company and dispute the charge. I know MY contract says I cannot charge more to guests who use a cc. A lot of places have no idea what their contract says.
Yes, it's YOUR $1 but it's 100's of customers' dollars a week.
If you are friendly with the owners of the place, let them know you find the charge outrageous.

Was it a debit card? It is legal to charge a surcharge when using a debit card ... but I don't think it's legal when it's a charge. I think you should look into that.
Would be nice if the restaurant advised you up front. Shouldn't they have to?

Was it a debit card? It is legal to charge a surcharge when using a debit card ... but I don't think it's legal when it's a charge. I think you should look into that.
Would be nice if the restaurant advised you up front. Shouldn't they have to?.
If the customer uses a debit card with a pin pad, the processing fee is cents. They should not be charging a fee when it barely costs them a dime. Even a debit card w/o the pin pad is less than a regular charge card.

NO this was a credit card. The people sitting next to us was upset when they heard about the extra $1 charge.

if it is not legal to do a surcharge, can you raise prices and then discount for cash?

if it is not legal to do a surcharge, can you raise prices and then discount for cash?
Check you merchant agreement. I have never seen one that allows any kind of surcharge or discounts, mostly because it's Visa and MasterCard (not the merchant account servicers themselves) who dictate that.
But to know for sure what you can do, you should really know what all the fine print in your agreement allows.

You can't charge more to use a cc, but you can charge less to pay cash. It's all in the semantics of it. Think of it as your 'rack rate.' Rack rate is $xxx. You can discount if someone has AAA or belongs to some group or pays cash or pays with a preferred cc, it's your choice.
What you can't do is tell the cc holder they have to pay more than the rack rate because they're using a cc.

Report the merchant to your credit card company and they will look into it. That is a violation of their merchant agreement.

Just had sisters split the bill so ran TWO credit cards, maybe we should toughen up and add fees to every single flippin' thing we do too!

Just received my merchant card processing statement and it had the following statement inclosed from Visa:
"Visa is aware that some merchants have engaged in non-compliant practices regarding the processing of credit card transactions such as charging additional fees for using a card, settling minimum or maximum transaction amounts and requiring customers to provide additional personal identification when their credit card is signed. In order to avoid potential fines or susupention of termination of your merchant account, please review the credit card acceptance guidelines outlined in your program guide."

Just had sisters split the bill so ran TWO credit cards, maybe we should toughen up and add fees to every single flippin' thing we do too!.
The most I've done for one room is 4. Usually, tho, one guest will want to pay cash, another check and the other(s) with a cc.

Just received my merchant card processing statement and it had the following statement inclosed from Visa:
"Visa is aware that some merchants have engaged in non-compliant practices regarding the processing of credit card transactions such as charging additional fees for using a card, settling minimum or maximum transaction amounts and requiring customers to provide additional personal identification when their credit card is signed. In order to avoid potential fines or susupention of termination of your merchant account, please review the credit card acceptance guidelines outlined in your program guide.".
Copperhead said:
"Visa is aware that some merchants have engaged in non-compliant practices regarding the processing of credit card transactions such as charging additional fees for using a card, settling minimum or maximum transaction amounts and requiring customers to provide additional personal identification when their credit card is signed. In order to avoid potential fines or susupention of termination of your merchant account, please review the credit card acceptance guidelines outlined in your program guide."
My guess is most stores realize the processor isn't going to yank the terminal out. Maybe there will be a fine, but probably not. What the stores seem to be missing is that they are annoying the people who are paying their bills. And that's not something you want to be doing unless you're the only game in town.
I don't mind if a small store wants me to spend at least $10 to use a cc because it's my choice to either come up with $10 in merch, pay cash or move on. But to be handed a bill after a meal, something I am going to have to pay for and have a fee tacked on, no way jose. That would peeve me.

"Visa is aware that some merchants have engaged in non-compliant practices regarding the processing of credit card transactions such as charging additional fees for using a card, settling minimum or maximum transaction amounts and requiring customers to provide additional personal identification when their credit card is signed. In order to avoid potential fines or susupention of termination of your merchant account, please review the credit card acceptance guidelines outlined in your program guide.".
Copperhead said:
My guess is most stores realize the processor isn't going to yank the terminal out. Maybe there will be a fine, but probably not. What the stores seem to be missing is that they are annoying the people who are paying their bills. And that's not something you want to be doing unless you're the only game in town.
I don't mind if a small store wants me to spend at least $10 to use a cc because it's my choice to either come up with $10 in merch, pay cash or move on. But to be handed a bill after a meal, something I am going to have to pay for and have a fee tacked on, no way jose. That would peeve me.
But to be handed a bill after a meal, something I am going to have to pay for and have a fee tacked on, no way jose. That would peeve me.
[/quote]
Thats where I'm coming from. Amen sister!

You can't charge more to use a cc, but you can charge less to pay cash. It's all in the semantics of it. Think of it as your 'rack rate.' Rack rate is $xxx. You can discount if someone has AAA or belongs to some group or pays cash or pays with a preferred cc, it's your choice.
What you can't do is tell the cc holder they have to pay more than the rack rate because they're using a cc.
Morticia said:
Hummm....I don't know about that. Ever pay your state taxes online?
My state will take a credit card for payment but there is a 'convenience fee' for that service. It says so right on their website.

Morticia said:
My state will take a credit card for payment but there is a 'convenience fee' for that service. It says so right on their website.
Is the conveinience fee for paying online, or is there a way to pay online and not use a credit card (direct withdrawal / echeck) and thereby avoid the fee?

Morticia said:
The Farmers Daughter said:
Morticia said:
Your post reminded me of a payment I just had to make with our State vehicle tag office. If you choose to use their online payment system to pay, they charge a fee to use their internet payment service which only takes credit cards. So the cost is for the online convenience not because of the card processing...All in the wording I guess!

I can not charge a fee for use of credit cards. The Gas Company that provides gas to heat our home, the state can charge a fee when paying taxes etc.The county can charges fees. The telephone company can charge a fee. I find this very irritating and I tell those that are charging me what I think. I have also told my son The State Representative. I will just keep voicing my opinion.

You go girl!
thumbs_up.gif

Morticia said:
The Farmers Daughter said:
Morticia said:
We pay our taxes online all the time. But, we use a wire transfer. I know my local CVB charges 4% if you want to pay by cc. I thought about turning them in (they annoy me that much).

Back