Chargeback Disputes - Fighting back

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
In a previous thread (https://www.innspiring.com/node/7803 my post #91213) I mentioned that I had just received a Chargeback on a stay that the guest stated in the dispute that the room was unclean, 'item not as described', other descriptive words used, and that they had tried to resolve this in person before they left - ALL UNTRUTHS!!! In the same tread, Breakfast Diva had mentioned a chargeback due to an 'odor' problem.
How does one answer these type of disputes? YOUR REVIEWS!!!! And I thought (originally) reviews were going to be my enemy!!
In answer to that Chargeback, I sent a brief detail of what took place that day as I had already documented it. (brief - took them to their room and never saw or heard them again) I then provided the following support with descriptions for each:
  1. Cardholder Reservation (Webervations) - checked read policies
  2. Cardholder Confirmation Email reply - again accepting terms of reservation (I charge in full for early departures)
  3. Provided pictures of the room from our website, provided the website links etc. And the link to Google Earth for our property as an independent view.
  4. I then printed copies of our reviews from TA and B&B.com. (and provided the links for their research) I highlighted when guests had ether commented on the cleanliness or any other aspect which could rebulk this cardholders remarks. It was nice to have B&B.coms rating on cleanliness boldly stated with each review.
  5. Since this person also stated that we were lying as to our location in relation to neighboring big city, I provided a Google Map with included the directions and distance from our B&B to that big city.
Today, I received notice that they are reversing the chargeback in my favor. They do note however that "the cardholder or issuing bank could continue to dispute the validity of the charge".

What I am unaware of is how much of this information is provided to the cardholder. My only other consern is ramifications by means of a bad review online, which I no doubt will need to provide a rebuttle.

What I am unaware of is how much of this information is provided to the cardholder. My only other consern is ramifications by means of a bad review online, which I no doubt will need to provide a rebuttle..
You got your money back. Good. They write a review saying things that are completely different from what everyone else says? No one will believe it.

I did all the documentation that CH did, including sending TA reviews before and after their stay AND a copy of the diary book pages for the same time period. They reversed the chargback in my favor, but then the guest appealed the decision and then won.
Hopefully your guests won't dispute this decision!
You may remember that the first chargeback I got from a different guest was decided in my favor and then the guest filed a BBB complaint. Having a BBB complaint for a b&b is certainly no big deal, but I did go through the process the case was closed and in my favor.
What I'm very thankful for is that neither one of these chargeback guests ever wrote an online review! I know it could still show up any time, but it's been 6 months, so I'm still hopeful nothing will be posted.

I did all the documentation that CH did, including sending TA reviews before and after their stay AND a copy of the diary book pages for the same time period. They reversed the chargback in my favor, but then the guest appealed the decision and then won.
Hopefully your guests won't dispute this decision!
You may remember that the first chargeback I got from a different guest was decided in my favor and then the guest filed a BBB complaint. Having a BBB complaint for a b&b is certainly no big deal, but I did go through the process the case was closed and in my favor.
What I'm very thankful for is that neither one of these chargeback guests ever wrote an online review! I know it could still show up any time, but it's been 6 months, so I'm still hopeful nothing will be posted..
Maybe I should not have used all my ammo with the first shot, leaving some in reserve if they come back for a second go round. But guess I will have to wait and see how this plays out. Obviously they like to play dirty and fabricate things so there is no telling what might be next.
Filing a BBB complaint here is next to impossible, we tried to file one on a contractor once and the BBB made it next to impossible. And I agree, for a b&b, it really does nothing.

Woohoo good news - as I mentioned prev the bank may just decide to "eat" the charge and refund the guest as well. In general information is NOT shared with the cardholder, and now the onus will be on the cardholder to prove otherwise

So, now all that work to document what you actually provide and do! Deducting your time on this, even with the reversal you are probably out dinero. At least, victory is yours! YAY!

Do you think that people actually make a habit of chargebacks?.
birdwatcher said:
Do you think that people actually make a habit of chargebacks?
No the banks and cc processors monitor how many time people chargeback so they really "can't" make it a habit. Many stores do the same now on returns, however if the customer is using 20 different credit cards the different cc processors would not pick that up .. however I think those kind of people would not pick a B&B

So, now all that work to document what you actually provide and do! Deducting your time on this, even with the reversal you are probably out dinero. At least, victory is yours! YAY!.
Samster said:
So, now all that work to document what you actually provide and do! Deducting your time on this, even with the reversal you are probably out dinero. At least, victory is yours! YAY!
Did not take that long, really. I had documented what happened as soon as I realized they were gone, and stored the reservation emails at that time. I had no idea they were going to use false statements, but pulling the reviews and google map took just a few minutes and off it went by fax. So after I gained my composure (steam stopped spewing from my head) it was done in no time.
Victory is mine - at least for now.....

Back