Chargeback Unexpectedness ...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukmaineiac

Reaction score
So ..... had my first chargeback. It was unreasonable and I constructed a rebuttal that was pretty much water tight and the $$ were refunded very quickly. The day before we left on vacation I got the card holders rebuttal of my rebuttal. It was horrible. Words like deplorable, filthy and even worse accusations that involved me man-handling someone out of a car. I decided that this particular person was never ever going to let it go and because any further costs could be passed onto me and for the sake of my sanity I let it drop.
Well ...... the $$ were deducted, but a few days later, without any additional input from me, they were re-credited to my account. I have no idea how common this is. I'm expecting further fall-out and if anyone is interested I'll let you know what happens.

Of course we want to know what happens. Your reviews file on T A would show the truth of the matter on an accusation of deplorable, filthy, etc. Obviously you know WHO, can you figure out WHY?? Were you one of those horrible innkeepers who actually stood by the policies in place? Who refused to cave?

This makes me mad, then glad. I hope it sticks this time!
We know you and you are above par in all areas.

The operative word here is...
[h2]
LIBEL[/h2]
Even if they win their case at the CC company, not only can you proceed in small claims, but falsifying information on a sworn statement opens them up to libel charges in a civil case.
Why are people so stupid?

I am sorry you had to (are) go through this. Glad that at this point you have won out. I do worry that this type of thing will get out of hand the more it is spread on the internet.
CC Co.s should be better at handling these things. If the merchant has presented adequate proof of reservation (purchase) and has had a good track history - reviews, no or few chargebacks etc. the CC Co should lean to side with the merchant. There also should be tracking of the card holder to see if this is a trend.

I am sorry you had to (are) go through this. Glad that at this point you have won out. I do worry that this type of thing will get out of hand the more it is spread on the internet.
CC Co.s should be better at handling these things. If the merchant has presented adequate proof of reservation (purchase) and has had a good track history - reviews, no or few chargebacks etc. the CC Co should lean to side with the merchant. There also should be tracking of the card holder to see if this is a trend..
copperhead said:
CC Co.s should be better at handling these things. If the merchant has presented adequate proof of reservation (purchase) and has had a good track history - reviews, no or few chargebacks etc. the CC Co should lean to side with the merchant. There also should be tracking of the card holder to see if this is a trend.
The CC co makes 3% off the sale from us. They make upwards of 18% when the guest doesn't pay their bill in full every month. The CC co knows which side its bread is buttered on and it's not our side.

CC Co.s should be better at handling these things. If the merchant has presented adequate proof of reservation (purchase) and has had a good track history - reviews, no or few chargebacks etc. the CC Co should lean to side with the merchant. There also should be tracking of the card holder to see if this is a trend..
copperhead said:
The CC co makes 3% off the sale from us. They make upwards of 18% when the guest doesn't pay their bill in full every month. The CC co knows which side its bread is buttered on and it's not our side.
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
I got our credit card bill the other day and I had to laugh, not really funny but in awe, it said the min payment is $40, if you make this payment every month you will pay this off in 23 years.
omg_smile.gif
I appreciated the stern warning, this is a diff cc as my other one was hacked, so I give them 'credit' for spelling it out like it is.
We put everything on the card and pay it off each month, and get the year-end print out of all expenses for my tax time.

copperhead said:
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
I got our credit card bill the other day and I had to laugh, not really funny but in awe, it said the min payment is $40, if you make this payment every month you will pay this off in 23 years.
omg_smile.gif
I appreciated the stern warning, this is a diff cc as my other one was hacked, so I give them 'credit' for spelling it out like it is.
We put everything on the card and pay it off each month, and get the year-end print out of all expenses for my tax time.
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
omg_smile.gif
You and I are 'deadbeats' in CC co parlance. We pay our bills. Essentially, we are giving ourselves a free loan of someone else's money for 21 days. We do it for the ease of not having to write checks or carry the right amount of cash. And we get the 'points' back in cash. My other cc doesn't have points or anything. It's the kind of card we love to see when we're on the paying end of the charge fees...plain vanilla...

copperhead said:
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
omg_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
omg_smile.gif
As of 2010 they changed the laws here...
1. They have to clearly indicate all rates in a box (with strict specifications)
2. You have to agree to a credit increase before they offer it. If you agree verbally, they have to get it in writing. (They now badger me with credit increase offers in the mail and on the telephone.)
3. No over-the-limit fees because of holds.
4. Minimum 21 day grace and true grace, interest on new additions can only start on the 22nd day.
5. They must list how long it will take to pay off your bill if you pay only the minimum payment. (What you see on your bill).
6. They must tell you of interest rate increases at least one period ahead of time.

copperhead said:
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
omg_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
omg_smile.gif
You and I are 'deadbeats' in CC co parlance. We pay our bills. Essentially, we are giving ourselves a free loan of someone else's money for 21 days. We do it for the ease of not having to write checks or carry the right amount of cash. And we get the 'points' back in cash. My other cc doesn't have points or anything. It's the kind of card we love to see when we're on the paying end of the charge fees...plain vanilla...
I have a credit card that does 3% on shopping and petrol cashback - so have got about £300 so far this year! and its all on their dime as we pay off every month!

copperhead said:
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
omg_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
omg_smile.gif
That is exactly how we use our card...paying it off every month and collecting the rewards at this time of year, just in time for holiday gifts! Savings accounts aren't making much interest but they sure beat paying off an 18% debt!

Oh My! Did you have any hint that they were so aggressive when they were guests at your B+B? This kind of behavior is pathological, IMHO. How do they live with themselves after telling such lies???

copperhead said:
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
omg_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
omg_smile.gif
As of 2010 they changed the laws here...
1. They have to clearly indicate all rates in a box (with strict specifications)
2. You have to agree to a credit increase before they offer it. If you agree verbally, they have to get it in writing. (They now badger me with credit increase offers in the mail and on the telephone.)
3. No over-the-limit fees because of holds.
4. Minimum 21 day grace and true grace, interest on new additions can only start on the 22nd day.
5. They must list how long it will take to pay off your bill if you pay only the minimum payment. (What you see on your bill).
6. They must tell you of interest rate increases at least one period ahead of time.
In these parts it's called the 'Schumer Box' after a senator from NY who backed the bill.

copperhead said:
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
omg_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
omg_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
omg_smile.gif
I used to do this and then I had my credit limit reduced to $1500 from $3000. and then even further. basically shutting me down to $500 ... I used to pay off the balance each month and was not earning them any money. I also had a credit line of $20000 that, as I paid it down, was reduced. bank of unamerica. I called and spoke with three people I could barely understand. outsourcing at its worst. terrible.

I throw CC companies an occasional bone by only paying the minimum a couple of months a year, rather than paying off the full amount as I do the other 10 months of the year.
Don't know if it makes any difference or not, but the bit of interest I pay them is well worth keeping the cards and all the convenience they give me, and the reward points.

copperhead said:
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
omg_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
omg_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
omg_smile.gif
I used to do this and then I had my credit limit reduced to $1500 from $3000. and then even further. basically shutting me down to $500 ... I used to pay off the balance each month and was not earning them any money. I also had a credit line of $20000 that, as I paid it down, was reduced. bank of unamerica. I called and spoke with three people I could barely understand. outsourcing at its worst. terrible.
We use ours to get the excellent cash back - but the limit wasn't very high ie ran out about half way through the month - howvever not have got it set up with my internet banking so I can pay off chunks throughout the month which keeps me under the limit and it transfers to the card in 2 hours! much better! if I am organised for a whole year I might just get a holiday out of it!

I have the opposite problem with limits. Bank of America and Discover keep increasing my credit limit, I guess to make me want to buy a car with my credit card! I'm not falling for it!

Further fall out = 1 bubble on that site we all know. Not surprised. Not happy.

Back