Charging a fee for 3rd party booking

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flower

Reaction score
On the business news this morning they were discussing KLM's recent decision to charge a fee for tickets bought on line at at third party sites such as ex pe d ia etc. They were discussing who would win out on this, KLM or the third party sites. Their consensus was that the third party sites would win out.
What are your thoughts? Will other airlines follow KLM? Is this going to start a trend where businesses will charge extra for third party bookings in an effort to recover some of their costs? Do you think the hospitality industry will follow?

It says the new fee is tacked on to the ticket price, which will just have the effect of making Lufthansa's rates higher than their competition. As long as the competition doesn't follow suit, it might hurt the airline more than it hurts the GDS.

Lufthansa has already done it. Here's an article written by a travel consumer advocate. What's up with Lufthansa's new fee?.
What I am hoping for is a way we can do the same for these third party companies that have taken over us. And we get charge for their bookings. This might be a way for us to get around their commission.
I like third party to charge the people using their services . After all they are basically a directory/comparison site that charge a huge commission. They make us work hard , while they collect their commission. And we are forced to lower our profit or / increasing our operating costs. The bottom line is it is our choice to use these unfriendly sites.
I guess it is just me that see our freedom is being lost as they run interference between us and our guest. We are not allowed to talk or email our guest directly, we must go through them. I also under stand they are trying difference procedures in other parts of the world.Or so they say.
We were in a meeting with B com.many of the things that other B&Bs complain about have been complained about 5 years ago. Nothing has changed.IE American express is very expensive to use and very few of the local B&Bs accept it. However, boo k in g /co still lets people use it to make a booking at those B&Bs.
When all they have to do is add 5 lines of code to the booking engine.

Lufthansa has already done it. Here's an article written by a travel consumer advocate. What's up with Lufthansa's new fee?.
What I am hoping for is a way we can do the same for these third party companies that have taken over us. And we get charge for their bookings. This might be a way for us to get around their commission.
I like third party to charge the people using their services . After all they are basically a directory/comparison site that charge a huge commission. They make us work hard , while they collect their commission. And we are forced to lower our profit or / increasing our operating costs. The bottom line is it is our choice to use these unfriendly sites.
I guess it is just me that see our freedom is being lost as they run interference between us and our guest. We are not allowed to talk or email our guest directly, we must go through them. I also under stand they are trying difference procedures in other parts of the world.Or so they say.
We were in a meeting with B com.many of the things that other B&Bs complain about have been complained about 5 years ago. Nothing has changed.IE American express is very expensive to use and very few of the local B&Bs accept it. However, boo k in g /co still lets people use it to make a booking at those B&Bs.
Before I start, I understand the love / hate relationship. I do list with OTAs and they do take a chunk and I cry each time I pay
BUT -
The fact is this is-
A business decision - A choice
A business marketing tool.
How many useful marketing tools actually work? And of those which ones are only paid when they bring in legitimate business?

Most advertising methods are payment up front. No refund if it doesn't pay off for you.
If you can't get past this commission you need to stop marketing through it.

I have a work-around for you with Amex cards. Get the Square gizmo and use it for Amex if nothing else. Flat rate, they can use Amex and you are not hung out to dry.

Back