Charging for online booking!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
OK, some may recall when I tried to book a room for myself 'back home'. I found an inn that charged to book online. They call it a 'convenience fee'. I call it a rip-off.
I'm looking for lodging for some guests who are here from Germany and absolutely HAVE to see Ben & Jerry's factory. They mentioned a town they want to stay in and I said I'd look up some phone numbers for them.
This place is STILL charging $8.50 to book online. The room rates are over $200/night. I am appalled. Needless to say, even tho these guests would be walk-ins, I will not send them there.

Yes don't we all. We all pay fees for everything. It is NOT ON, I tell ya. That place is bad in my book. It is likened to charging a credit card fee.

OK, gave this some thought and figured that they must pay a fee to whoever runs the online booking engine they use. That's the only reason I could see for them charging you to do all the work yourself. I know there's a program here called 'InnLink' that charges something like a 30% commission. $8.50 wouldn't amke a dent in that, but maybe this one isn't that high.
The details:
There is a one-time setup fee of $299 and several flexible ongoing commission plans to choose from: Pay only 3% per reservation made from your website! This plan has no monthly minimum fees. Or, pay only a $15 flat fee per reservation from your website. This plan is perfect for properties with higher average daily rates or vacation rentals. Monthly flat fee options may also be available. *All GDS reservations are charged at a flat fee per booking of $15.50.

OK, gave this some thought and figured that they must pay a fee to whoever runs the online booking engine they use. That's the only reason I could see for them charging you to do all the work yourself. I know there's a program here called 'InnLink' that charges something like a 30% commission. $8.50 wouldn't amke a dent in that, but maybe this one isn't that high.
The details:
There is a one-time setup fee of $299 and several flexible ongoing commission plans to choose from: Pay only 3% per reservation made from your website! This plan has no monthly minimum fees. Or, pay only a $15 flat fee per reservation from your website. This plan is perfect for properties with higher average daily rates or vacation rentals. Monthly flat fee options may also be available. *All GDS reservations are charged at a flat fee per booking of $15.50..
I pay a fee each month, if I have reservations. It is my choice to have online reservations. People have made reservations here, because I have online reservations. Charge for it no I do not think so. Charging would reverse the positive good of have online bookings. Crazy thing to do.

That's ridiculous..
MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY!!
What a rip off!!!
This is what causes people to question stuff like this with other B & B owners. Gheez you think they would be GLAD and GRATEFUL for on line reservations..not charge extra for them!!!

That's ridiculous..
MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY!!
What a rip off!!!
This is what causes people to question stuff like this with other B & B owners. Gheez you think they would be GLAD and GRATEFUL for on line reservations..not charge extra for them!!!
I LOVE the online reservations! The guest does all the work of entering all their info
teeth_smile.gif

That's ridiculous..
MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY!!
What a rip off!!!
I LOVE the online reservations! The guest does all the work of entering all their info
teeth_smile.gif

It seems to me that the instance we are talking about...just CHOSE the WRONG on line reservation system. They are charging because they are paying so much. But hey...that's what happens when you don't do your research. And, on line reservations are just an accepted part of doing business today. So do it and be done with it.

That's ridiculous..
MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY!!
What a rip off!!!
teeth_smile.gif

It seems to me that the instance we are talking about...just CHOSE the WRONG on line reservation system. They are charging because they are paying so much. But hey...that's what happens when you don't do your research. And, on line reservations are just an accepted part of doing business today. So do it and be done with it.
I agree...it's a shame that they're paying so much. There are a lot of options out there now. This is not a plug, but apparently RezNexxus will collect your payments for you when the guest books, too...for an additional fee. Not something that I really care about as I collect payment at check-in, but just another option out there for your business.

The details:
There is a one-time setup fee of $299 and several flexible ongoing commission plans to choose from: Pay only 3% per reservation made from your website! This plan has no monthly minimum fees. Or, pay only a $15 flat fee per reservation from your website. This plan is perfect for properties with higher average daily rates or vacation rentals. Monthly flat fee options may also be available. *All GDS reservations are charged at a flat fee per booking of $15.50..
Why would anyone go with these high priced on-line booking companies. Webervations charges a flat yearly fee, I think around $90 and there are no commissions and guests link to it right from your website as if it is another page on your own website.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

That's ridiculous..
MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY!!
What a rip off!!!
teeth_smile.gif

catlady said:
This is one of those GDS things where they are listed with all the hotel websites. They get hit with the $15.50 fee when someone books from Expedia, as an example.

The details:
Why would anyone go with these high priced on-line booking companies. Webervations charges a flat yearly fee, I think around $90 and there are no commissions and guests link to it right from your website as if it is another page on your own website.

I did not go with Webervations & a separate reservation system. I wanted a totally web based system, including reservation software, reports, etc. The price that I pay is worth it to me. That's why there are different options out there for lodging properties
teeth_smile.gif

But, I really don't get why a B&B/inn would pay for these other global booking type things. There have been too many glitches with them, as we've discussed in the past.

The details:

I did not go with Webervations & a separate reservation system. I wanted a totally web based system, including reservation software, reports, etc. The price that I pay is worth it to me. That's why there are different options out there for lodging properties
teeth_smile.gif

But, I really don't get why a B&B/inn would pay for these other global booking type things. There have been too many glitches with them, as we've discussed in the past.
Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif

Well - it's different strokes for different folks, just as you prefer a different system to Webervations. We use a GDS system for slow periods and week days, I add days as I wish. It does help my business as it brings in more business travelers during week days.
For me it works as I have tweeked it to work for me but do understand it is NOT for everyone. And would NOT use it as my sole system for online booking it is a supplement as this usually costs me ~12.5% (based on a 2 night stay)- but that is better than an empty room and I usually give a 10% discount for 2+ nights anyway!

That's ridiculous..
MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY!!
What a rip off!!!
teeth_smile.gif

catlady said:
This is one of those GDS things where they are listed with all the hotel websites. They get hit with the $15.50 fee when someone books from Expedia, as an example.
Bree said:
catlady said:
But even expedial, hotels.com has an INTERNET RATE which is lower than a rack rate. Even holiday inns etc have them.

The details:

teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif

Well - it's different strokes for different folks, just as you prefer a different system to Webervations. We use a GDS system for slow periods and week days, I add days as I wish. It does help my business as it brings in more business travelers during week days.
For me it works as I have tweeked it to work for me but do understand it is NOT for everyone. And would NOT use it as my sole system for online booking it is a supplement as this usually costs me ~12.5% (based on a 2 night stay)- but that is better than an empty room and I usually give a 10% discount for 2+ nights anyway!
Copperhead said:
I am interested in how you have tweaked the system? What I see with my friends is that they are listed and cannot unlist themselves during peak periods. Which leads to them having rooms open but GDS inquiries return a 'no rooms available' because the inns do not want to put rooms on there in peak season.
I'd consider listing with Expedia, et al IF I could find the rules (all I can find is the application form) and if I could 'get off the list' at this time of year. I can't chance someone booking online thru my system at the same time someone is booking thru the Expedia system and have to turn away what might be a long-time repeat because there is no way to contact the 'other' guest.

The details:

teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif

I understand if it works for you, that is great. We've had numerous discussions on the other forum about the problems with those systems. Even had someone have a guest show up with a confirmation from one and the B&B had never been notified!! Luckily, they had a room. I've also had an innkeeper friend try to list only certain rooms for certain days & it showed up that she had NO availability. Thus, why I referred to the glitches.

The details:

teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif

Copperhead said:
I am interested in how you have tweaked the system? What I see with my friends is that they are listed and cannot unlist themselves during peak periods. Which leads to them having rooms open but GDS inquiries return a 'no rooms available' because the inns do not want to put rooms on there in peak season.
I'd consider listing with Expedia, et al IF I could find the rules (all I can find is the application form) and if I could 'get off the list' at this time of year. I can't chance someone booking online thru my system at the same time someone is booking thru the Expedia system and have to turn away what might be a long-time repeat because there is no way to contact the 'other' guest.
Bree wrote: I'd consider listing with Expedia, et al IF I could find the rules...
Well unfortunately unless you are with BandB dot com, you can not be listed with Hotels.com or Expedia as Eric has an exclusive contract with them.
Now my tweeking does not mean that it will not show my place on Orbitz, Travelocity etc. I will show as 'no rooms available', but I am just not needing the business from those markets when I do not show availability, I am getting most of my reservations through my site or other directories.
I also can just place one room out there to keep that 'no availibility' from showing. I have also gotten calls saying - I saw online you have no availability but thought I would call anyway just to double check! This happens from both these systems and my online booking - Webervations. And if they are big Travelocity (or such) users if I wasn't on GDS, they wouldn't have known about me at all!
Getting back to the GDS systems - the main reason I want to use one is for business travelers (BT) . A lot of our BT either us a travel agent (TA) or have a TA system such as Sabre that they use to book. This gives me lots of exposure and most (for some reason) call to book rather than through the system, so they pay no attention to the availability online.
Now I am not out here to sell you on this only to tell you why I use it. Have I gotten a few Bozos from online bookings through GDS. But as many others of this group have experienced, they're going to get in even if you took the reservation over the phone.

The details:

teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif

Copperhead said:
Bree wrote: I'd consider listing with Expedia, et al IF I could find the rules...
Well unfortunately unless you are with BandB dot com, you can not be listed with Hotels.com or Expedia as Eric has an exclusive contract with them.
Now my tweeking does not mean that it will not show my place on Orbitz, Travelocity etc. I will show as 'no rooms available', but I am just not needing the business from those markets when I do not show availability, I am getting most of my reservations through my site or other directories.
I also can just place one room out there to keep that 'no availibility' from showing. I have also gotten calls saying - I saw online you have no availability but thought I would call anyway just to double check! This happens from both these systems and my online booking - Webervations. And if they are big Travelocity (or such) users if I wasn't on GDS, they wouldn't have known about me at all!
Getting back to the GDS systems - the main reason I want to use one is for business travelers (BT) . A lot of our BT either us a travel agent (TA) or have a TA system such as Sabre that they use to book. This gives me lots of exposure and most (for some reason) call to book rather than through the system, so they pay no attention to the availability online.
Now I am not out here to sell you on this only to tell you why I use it. Have I gotten a few Bozos from online bookings through GDS. But as many others of this group have experienced, they're going to get in even if you took the reservation over the phone.
Copperhead said:
Before I read any further, you cannot possibly mean that Eric can control my business by saying no B&B can list with Expedia unless they go thru him. There are laws preventing the obstruction of free trade.
Now I'll calm down and read the rest of your post...

The details:

teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif

Copperhead said:
Copperhead said:
Before I read any further, you cannot possibly mean that Eric can control my business by saying no B&B can list with Expedia unless they go thru him. There are laws preventing the obstruction of free trade.
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
The following is taken straight from http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/innkeepers/whyjoinbnb.aspx
  • Exclusive provider of B&B inventory to Expedia.com® and hotels.com®, plus agreements with Sidestep, Kayak, and others, reaching about 100 million travelers monthly.
Yep! He does! P. Lanier once had the agreement and we were included at that time. When the contract changed over, we received a call from B&B trying to get us to join them to be able to remain on Expedia & Hotels. Seems unfair, but that is the way it goes. It just is another 'benefit' to being listed on his site and pay the pricey membership fees he has. P. Lanier did not raise her rates when she added this service, it was just an added benefit. I am not sure if B&B.com went up when they added this or if it was this year.

Back