Charging for switching rooms

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Girl

Reaction score
When a guest wants to upgrade to another room halfway through their stay do you charge an additional fee for the work involved or do you just charge the upgrade fee?

I'd just charge the upgrade fee and be glad they wanted it! But it depends on your own situation. Are you hungry?

I never charge a fee for changing rooms. But I never encourage it. In the winter would be the only time they could. In the summer, upgrades are impossible, I'm booked over 90%.

CG are they changing for a reason, like the room doesn't meet their needs? Or because they just want to try a different room?
In the first case I would move them, no charge, in the second case I would tell them SURE! But we have to pay a housekeeping fee of $15.
I have had both here, the second scenario changed their mind. They don't really think it costs anything to change rooms like that.

Also - how busy are you? ie is it worth doing it to get them to stay longer? maybe a minimum charge for the faf

I agree with Joey. If it's because they have a problem with their room, upgrade them (no charge), if it's just because they want to try something different, then charge them a cleaning fee. I would probably charge $25 cleaning fee.
We have a policy of no room hopping when making a reservation without charging a cleaning fee if the room is available for their entire stay.

no additional fee ... just the additional room charge ... unless you gave them a deal for staying so many nights in one room.
i had so many one night stayers, it wouldn't be fair for me to tack on a cleaning fee for some who wanted to switch rooms in the middle of their stay.
yes, more work for me to get the room cleaned, but i'd be happy with a bit more money for the nicer room. i would think charging extra would cause hard feelings ... wouldn't it?

I just charge the new room fee. But, I also don't discount for multiple nights in the same room which is essentially the reverse of upcharging for moving rooms. Of course, I'm annoyed by the change because I've planned out my cleaning schedule in advance.

We have a minimum night stay in each of our accommodations. So if the guest has stayed at least the minimum # of nights in the suite they originally reserved, we will gladly move them to another suite, charging them only the upgrade rate for that suite. If they want to change suites before staying the minimum nights we decline, saying that we have someone else who is interested in reserving the suite. Of course, if there is a good reason for them to move we allow them to move. For example, if the stairs to the second floor are clearly too much for them (even though we told them about the stairs and asked them if they had any difficulty with steep stairs) we would upgrade them (charging the additional rate for the larger suite) no matter how many nights they stayed.

We have a minimum night stay in each of our accommodations. So if the guest has stayed at least the minimum # of nights in the suite they originally reserved, we will gladly move them to another suite, charging them only the upgrade rate for that suite. If they want to change suites before staying the minimum nights we decline, saying that we have someone else who is interested in reserving the suite. Of course, if there is a good reason for them to move we allow them to move. For example, if the stairs to the second floor are clearly too much for them (even though we told them about the stairs and asked them if they had any difficulty with steep stairs) we would upgrade them (charging the additional rate for the larger suite) no matter how many nights they stayed..
Silverspoon said:
Of course, if there is a good reason for them to move we allow them to move. For example, if the stairs to the second floor are clearly too much for them (even though we told them about the stairs and asked them if they had any difficulty with steep stairs) we would upgrade them (charging the additional rate for the larger suite) no matter how many nights they stayed.
What is it with that anyway? We get that quite a bit. I'll check someone in and go tell DH, 'There is no way they are getting up and down those stairs for 3 nights.' We do ask,' Does anyone have problems with stairs?' when we take their info and it is on the website in the room description. I've had ugly children yelling at me that I told them there were NO stairs!!! because now their parents have to go upstairs. Well, not here sweetheart, no one told you that here.

We have a minimum night stay in each of our accommodations. So if the guest has stayed at least the minimum # of nights in the suite they originally reserved, we will gladly move them to another suite, charging them only the upgrade rate for that suite. If they want to change suites before staying the minimum nights we decline, saying that we have someone else who is interested in reserving the suite. Of course, if there is a good reason for them to move we allow them to move. For example, if the stairs to the second floor are clearly too much for them (even though we told them about the stairs and asked them if they had any difficulty with steep stairs) we would upgrade them (charging the additional rate for the larger suite) no matter how many nights they stayed..
Silverspoon said:
Of course, if there is a good reason for them to move we allow them to move. For example, if the stairs to the second floor are clearly too much for them (even though we told them about the stairs and asked them if they had any difficulty with steep stairs) we would upgrade them (charging the additional rate for the larger suite) no matter how many nights they stayed.
What is it with that anyway? We get that quite a bit. I'll check someone in and go tell DH, 'There is no way they are getting up and down those stairs for 3 nights.' We do ask,' Does anyone have problems with stairs?' when we take their info and it is on the website in the room description. I've had ugly children yelling at me that I told them there were NO stairs!!! because now their parents have to go upstairs. Well, not here sweetheart, no one told you that here.
Since I personally speak with every guest who books I make sure to go into detail about our second floor suite. The narrow stairs as well as the private but open hallway between the bedroom and private bath room are discussed in detail. Yes, the bath is detached. Yes it is a private bath but there is a hallway with banister that goes between the bedroom and bathroom. We don't like unhappy guests. But, like you Maddie, we still get the occasional guest who will stand at the bottom of the stairs looking up to the top landing like they had to climb to Mars! Hey, we do the best we can, right?

Silverspoon said:
Since I personally speak with every guest who books I make sure to go into detail about our second floor suite. The narrow stairs as well as the private but open hallway between the bedroom and private bath room are discussed in detail. Yes, the bath is detached. Yes it is a private bath but there is a hallway with banister that goes between the bedroom and bathroom. We don't like unhappy guests. But, like you Maddie, we still get the occasional guest who will stand at the bottom of the stairs looking up to the top landing like they had to climb to Mars! Hey, we do the best we can, right?
the only ones who drive me mad are - one older couple I had them on the first floor - offered to carry bags and was refused - then in the review they complained it was difficult to carry their bags! - not if you'd let me take them off you!

no additional fee ... just the additional room charge ... unless you gave them a deal for staying so many nights in one room.
i had so many one night stayers, it wouldn't be fair for me to tack on a cleaning fee for some who wanted to switch rooms in the middle of their stay.
yes, more work for me to get the room cleaned, but i'd be happy with a bit more money for the nicer room. i would think charging extra would cause hard feelings ... wouldn't it?.
Same here. A bit more work, but it doesn't arise often. Glad to have people stay on.
And, a couple of times, guest agreed to move so we could accommodate another party. Works both ways.

Back