Check in Goodies

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Just to report something that is apparently unappealing for a check in refreshment...
Three new rooms checked in yesterday (Sat), it was very warm outside, so they enjoyed the cold drinks upon arrival. Set up really nicely on the dining table was their key lime pie (looking like a large meringue). Help yourself note, and I also pointed it out to please enjoy during the check in tours.
Nothing. No one touched it. It looked really good, was it the meringue top people aren't into?
I mean, no worries we will eat it today ourselves, just strange no one touched tried it.

Mmmmm. Key lime is one of our favorites!
However, we find the same thing - some items are things no one will take. It seems they either don't want to be the first to take it (we doubt that, these days), or (more likely) it isn't finger food - so it is cumbersome to handle.

I find that cake & pie don't go as quickly as cookies or brownies. Like Scott said, I think it's the portability. Guys will grab 2-3 cookies while listening to the 'spiel' but no one would take a piece of pie.
I do think taking one slice out might work to encourage someone. A small slice if you don't think there will be enough left otherwise.

I tend to agree with Mort. Finger foods easily picked up and taken away seem to go better than having to get a slice of pie and sitting down with it. Though it sure would appeal to me...keylime...yummmmm

I tend to agree with Mort. Finger foods easily picked up and taken away seem to go better than having to get a slice of pie and sitting down with it. Though it sure would appeal to me...keylime...yummmmm.
I love keylime pie, its such a cooling summer treat but no meringue. It can get stuck to your lips, face, fingers and with kids in their hair. How about keylime tarts ?..Mary in Bwater

I make key lime other things, but thought a meringue would be nice and like mentioned lighter and refreshing in the heat. I have served plenty of other items that require the dessert plate and fork, so this was a definite stand-out that it just did not appeal to people.
In fact when I don't ave not quite enough (or not a whole) of a pie or cake I will plate it and they can just take. I didn't want to plate all these pieces of pie as I figured there were 6 people here, so not to bother with that.
Anyway, the gist is I won't be serving it, wasting it, again. I will go back to boring brownies and such. It is true what you say about finger foods, grabbing a couple and walking away. No more cherry pastries either then! I have one guest from the UK who says he won't stay with us again unless I make that cherry pie as he calls it, really it is a cherry coffee cake.
Ingrates. LOL
smileystooges.gif

I would love the pie, meringue and all. I LIKE meringue!
I think the piece missing is the starter. I would hesitate to take the "first" piece because I know I am a piggie but try to hide it (not well considering my girth). I have always had the fruit basket in the rooms but did not do check-in treats until i started with the pretzels. I looked at it as I am a bed & breakfast not a snack stop. Because the pretzels are fun and I can make as little as a 1/4 recipe at a time and takes so little time, I do them. Partly because it is differernt also.

I do check in refreshments as it is part of the stay here. Hospitality is what we want to portray and this is part of the whole picture for us. As for other inns, it doesn't worry me what anyone else in the world does it, it is what we do. We do a lot of things other B&B's don't do. This is why B&B's are unique. They get good bang for their buck here, we want the guests to leave fat and happy.
Speaking of this subject, Dh is blown away as you know we had those absolutely miserable guests here gee, was it just a week ago? Anyway here for a graduation who we asked to leave. Same room has been occupied 4 times since and each and every occupant has absolutely loved it. Today the guests here on an anniv cruise and schmooze package who adored that room, and went into technical details with DH on how he added the bathroom etc etc.
So all that to say, do what you do and how you like to do it. Guests who don't want to be here will sure let you know and those are the guests WE DO NOT WANT!
Unfortunately graduations fill rooms in April May and June. So we do our best to make them happy. A room gave us a book on the Appalachian Trail today. Nice guests, we love those nice guests!

I do check in refreshments as it is part of the stay here. Hospitality is what we want to portray and this is part of the whole picture for us. As for other inns, it doesn't worry me what anyone else in the world does it, it is what we do. We do a lot of things other B&B's don't do. This is why B&B's are unique. They get good bang for their buck here, we want the guests to leave fat and happy.
Speaking of this subject, Dh is blown away as you know we had those absolutely miserable guests here gee, was it just a week ago? Anyway here for a graduation who we asked to leave. Same room has been occupied 4 times since and each and every occupant has absolutely loved it. Today the guests here on an anniv cruise and schmooze package who adored that room, and went into technical details with DH on how he added the bathroom etc etc.
So all that to say, do what you do and how you like to do it. Guests who don't want to be here will sure let you know and those are the guests WE DO NOT WANT!
Unfortunately graduations fill rooms in April May and June. So we do our best to make them happy. A room gave us a book on the Appalachian Trail today. Nice guests, we love those nice guests!.
I have one due in tonight with her Mom and 2 horses. This is her 5th time here in 18 months. Since she is alwys kind enough to come on a non-weekend night I do make an exception for her "friend " Katie. I always have a flannel sheet arranged on te floor for Katie and she has never abused our hospitality. The very few times I have has someone else call to book when Katie will be here, they are ALWAYS told so I can give other suggestions. In December, it was just the horse owner and her Mom - no Katie - so as a Christmas present I upgraded to the big room. Katie will be here tonight so it is back to the room with the more hardwood floors.
This will be the first visit that they will have the pretzels.

Cakes and pies didn't seem to go over well here for whatever reason. Unless......I put a piece on a plate and covered it and left it in a guest fridge in their room. Even then, the sliced desserts would get left. Brownies, other bar cookies, and cookies got eaten up!
I think it might go along with this whole cupcake craze. Portability and some kind of mind set that there aren't as many calories! lol!
I am not a fan of meringue, so that wouldn't be my dessert but my dh would go for that in a New York minute!!

Cakes and pies didn't seem to go over well here for whatever reason. Unless......I put a piece on a plate and covered it and left it in a guest fridge in their room. Even then, the sliced desserts would get left. Brownies, other bar cookies, and cookies got eaten up!
I think it might go along with this whole cupcake craze. Portability and some kind of mind set that there aren't as many calories! lol!
I am not a fan of meringue, so that wouldn't be my dessert but my dh would go for that in a New York minute!!.
Talking about the cupcake craze...we'll be offering these now in our birthday package...
cupcakes.jpg

I am not a fan of meringue, so that wouldn't be my dessert but my dh would go for that in a New York minute!!.
Talking about the cupcake craze...we'll be offering these now in our birthday package...
cupcakes.jpg

Yum! Should be a hit. I sometimes made Red Velvet cupcakes for check-in because they're kind of a Southern thang. We were at our Market Days yesterday and the gal selling cupcakes was having a really bad day. People were buying other baked goods but she thought that the HEAT was affecting sales. Of course, she had no beverages for sale.....

cupcakes.jpg

Sweet..really :) Have you watched the new show Cupcake Wars? Lots of great ideas there. YUMMM

cupcakes.jpg

What a wonderful assortment.

Evening dessert is a huge hit here, and is mentioned all the time in our reviews. That being said, I don't put it out until 7pm and everyone eats it after dinner, sometimes even in the middle of the night!

Our cheesecake didn't go until we sliced them up in bite-sized nuggets in cupcake liners and they went like the dickens.
Peaple like finger food and portability, any effort is a brain-barrier, just like taking the first peice.
I prefer not to cut them up since the desert doesn't stay as fresh, But if it goes quickly, it doesn't really have to now !
Also, great with pies that are no longer whole.

We just do brownies in their room. They're always eaten. If it's especially hot (this IS Texas) then I might offer them something cold to drink. There are already softdrinks in their mini-fridge, but they usually go for a cold beer.

Samster said:
I make a key lime cupcake with a meringue topping instead of frosting. I
heart.gif
making cupcakes.

Back