Check in Refreshments

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
If you offer check in refreshments, what has been the most successful? Do days of the week make a difference in what you offer, ie Fridays being typically later check ins and skipping the goodies to go to dinner or just to bed?
Do you think guests grabbing a cookie is best? Or do you want plated refreshments like cakes or pies?

Chocolate Chip Cookies. NOTHING gets eaten like these.
We used to do pound cake, brownies, etc. but when we are in full swing we had too many people to keep up with. Now we alternate between sugar and chocolate chip cookies.

For all that our guests have said they love having refreshments available, I throw a lot of cookies out. What we have out all the time, regardless of the day of the week, are cookies or brownies. Other dessert-like options didn't work out. Cakes were left sitting. Tea breads were ignored.
So it's really been a grab-n-go kind of thing. Most of the items are taken after guests return from dinner, not before.

For all that our guests have said they love having refreshments available, I throw a lot of cookies out. What we have out all the time, regardless of the day of the week, are cookies or brownies. Other dessert-like options didn't work out. Cakes were left sitting. Tea breads were ignored.
So it's really been a grab-n-go kind of thing. Most of the items are taken after guests return from dinner, not before..
Afternoon chocolate chip cookies and brownies are always eaten by bed time. The big hit is always chocolate-dipped madelines. I buy the Entermann's madelines and dip them in dark chocolate. YUM!

Homemade Oatmeal Raisin Cookies and Butter Tart Squares are a real big hit and never go to waste. That with a cup of herbal tea or fresh brewed coffee and they are hooked.

Different home made cookie or brownie every day. Nothing goes as fast as the chocolate chips cookies, except maybe the Ghiradelli chocolate chip cookies. To die for.

On Fridays we have a wine store around the corner that has free wine tastings and most often our guests enjoy going there with us and they have cheese and crackers out.
Other days we open a bottle of Virginia wine and half a locally made highly addicting cheese ball at check in. And we have chock chip type cookie dough frozen so can bake what we need to leave out daily. Otherwise there is popcorn out in the tasting room where there is a microwave if they feel like staying in and watching a movie in the library or in their room.
Fruit is always in a bowl in the dining room area
And chocolate is always out int their room and in the tasting room - kisses or mini chocolate bars
RIki

In our beverage area we have an endless cookie jar with our signature cookie. These cookies are amazing and sometimes it's a real chore to keep up with the supply. We also have a jar of redvines and a container of individually wrapped biscotti (we buy at Costco), Every now and then I'll make some brownies, cut them up and put them on a plate with the rest of the items in the beverage area.
Guests will help themselves to the goodies all through the night. What kills me is when they eat a huge breakfast, then head to the cookie jar, or will take some "for the road". I haven't really found a trend on when they consume more or less. It just seems pretty consistent!

In our beverage area we have an endless cookie jar with our signature cookie. These cookies are amazing and sometimes it's a real chore to keep up with the supply. We also have a jar of redvines and a container of individually wrapped biscotti (we buy at Costco), Every now and then I'll make some brownies, cut them up and put them on a plate with the rest of the items in the beverage area.
Guests will help themselves to the goodies all through the night. What kills me is when they eat a huge breakfast, then head to the cookie jar, or will take some "for the road". I haven't really found a trend on when they consume more or less. It just seems pretty consistent!.
BD I have a jar of red vines in the dining room too! Funny how many people like those. :)

Red Vines..........licorice ?.
One Day said:
Red Vines..........licorice ?
yeah!
I have candy dishes and little bags of peanuts and other snacks around, but these are a favorite. :)
It's amazing how some people's faces just light up when then see the red vines! The biscotti are great for those guests that are early risers who are hungry...they can have their coffee and a biscotti and it will hold them until breakfast.

Unless I plated and individually wrapped cakes and pies, they just didn't go over as well. The exception being when there was a group here and they were all hanging out together in the common areas. Cookies and bar cookies were the most popular by far.

I do cookies sometimes mini mufins, banana and now pumkin bread (baked in mini loaf pans) I slice & freeze the quick bread and take out as much as I need. I sometimes do brownies-but cake and pie would be too messy and I would have to have plates which creates dishes or could put paper but that creates trash.
Cookies and quick breads work great here.

These were a big hit yesterday...chocolate chip brownies with a white chocolate drizzle
DSCN0336.JPG

We usually have brownies available for everyone. However, two-day + guests also get a complimentary glass of wine or a cold beer if they prefer.

I did not used to do anything. I do have a basket with apples and bananas on the dresser of mantle and a dish of Hersh kisses on the dressers. Now I usually do the homemade pretzels. They are a hit! Rarely are they not eaten.

Both rooms have kitchens ..so always in the frig are cheese ,crackers, Italian water, small 4oz ? bottle of wine. Iam 1/2 cottage and 1/2 B&B type of establishment here. :) Mary in Bwater

Back