Check in Routine

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Here is your challenge should you choose to accept it.
Just before check in time, drink a cup or two of coffee or tea (or two tall glasses of water)...now wait.
Check in your guests with a full bladder and see what you cover and find imperative for them to know and what you don't.
It is one of those "walk in their shoes" or "Goldie Locks - or test your own guest rooms" moments. Brought to you by this innkeeper with guests from far far away this weekend.
shades_smile.gif

It is certainly an interesting exercise in finding ways to be friendly and yet extremely concise!

I maintain a requirement to be an innkeeper is a bladder the size of a basketball. And it is usually about the time I need to go "visit Mother" that the guests decide to arrive......

You're too funny! Of course guests always arrive right before you have to take care of something! haha! If the innkeeper has a full bladder, you might know how a lot of your guests feel upon arrival. ;-)

You're too funny! Of course guests always arrive right before you have to take care of something! haha! If the innkeeper has a full bladder, you might know how a lot of your guests feel upon arrival. ;-).
When traveling, anyone who gets between me and the bathroom is a damned fool because they are about to be run over!

I didn't get that post to mean the 'murphy's law' situationfor the inkeepers but that we should do it to remind ourselves that perhaps our incoming guests need to use the bathroom BEFORE we start registering, talking, etc. and I entirely agree!!!!

I didn't get that post to mean the 'murphy's law' situationfor the inkeepers but that we should do it to remind ourselves that perhaps our incoming guests need to use the bathroom BEFORE we start registering, talking, etc. and I entirely agree!!!!.
I agree also, but what is the solution - ask them if they'd like to use the restroom and then you'll meet them again to give them the grand tour? I've had people forget to come back down....and I hate going back up to their room to knock - seems rude, and they might still be in the middle of something!
Whenever I travel I make sure to stop somewhere b4 getting to my destination - life lesson.

I didn't get that post to mean the 'murphy's law' situationfor the inkeepers but that we should do it to remind ourselves that perhaps our incoming guests need to use the bathroom BEFORE we start registering, talking, etc. and I entirely agree!!!!.
I agree also, but what is the solution - ask them if they'd like to use the restroom and then you'll meet them again to give them the grand tour? I've had people forget to come back down....and I hate going back up to their room to knock - seems rude, and they might still be in the middle of something!
Whenever I travel I make sure to stop somewhere b4 getting to my destination - life lesson.
I've been at this since 1991. I show them directly to their room and then tell them to come to the guest lounge as soon as they have their luggage in so that I can get them registered and tell them whatever it is they want to know. Generally people take 10 to 15 minutes to come. If they don't and I'm in a rush I have no problems knocking at their door and asking them to get registered. It's much easier to get people to listen to you, to pay, to do whatever if they've had a chance to take a deep breath for a few minutes first.

suellen222 said:
If you have 6 rooms checking in say on a Friday, and one takes off to use the facility to come back for the tour and check in, I: #1) might not recognize them again. #2) another room shows up and wanders around looking lost and THEY now get my time.
If they all show up at once I mention "The buffy bus has landed" and can do a small group intro and individ walk to the rooms.
SueEllen, usually the last leg of the trip is trying to fine tune the directions turn by turn and that is when my bladder nearly gives out. I WISH I had a separate loo that guests could just step into and be right back out to continue the check in process. THAT would be the solution. But we don't have that here, all restrooms are associated with guest rooms.

Back