Check-in time

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Something else I have stopped doing...asking guests when they expect to arrive. No one knows. They make something up just to give an answer. My 7 PM check-in? Showed up at noon.
We now state what time we do check-in. Tell the guests that if they will be later they must call as we only guarantee we will be here between 3-7 so we need them to call so we can tell them how to get in.

Ditto - except you're kinder.
OPEN check-in time is between 3 and 6 p.m. i will HAPPILY take other check in times whenever possible if given advance notice. Generally this works out really well - guests that need to arrive outside the "open" check-in time feel as if they are being given special treatment and having a specific, stated, "specially agreed on" check-in time USUALLY keeps the guest on track and gives us much more flexibility with the rest of our day .... and I can always say "NO" ... although that hasn't happened yet.

OPEN check-in time is between 3 and 6 p.m. i will HAPPILY take other check in times whenever possible if given advance notice. Generally this works out really well - guests that need to arrive outside the "open" check-in time feel as if they are being given special treatment and having a specific, stated, "specially agreed on" check-in time USUALLY keeps the guest on track and gives us much more flexibility with the rest of our day .... and I can always say "NO" ... although that hasn't happened yet..
Like the 'open'. Altho 'personalized' got batted around a bit, too. And nailing down a time OUTSIDE that range is definitely required altho we find most guests have not a single clue how far they are unless their GPS is telling them.

OPEN check-in time is between 3 and 6 p.m. i will HAPPILY take other check in times whenever possible if given advance notice. Generally this works out really well - guests that need to arrive outside the "open" check-in time feel as if they are being given special treatment and having a specific, stated, "specially agreed on" check-in time USUALLY keeps the guest on track and gives us much more flexibility with the rest of our day .... and I can always say "NO" ... although that hasn't happened yet..
Like the 'open'. Altho 'personalized' got batted around a bit, too. And nailing down a time OUTSIDE that range is definitely required altho we find most guests have not a single clue how far they are unless their GPS is telling them.
I'm going to regret saying this - BUT - so far this summer has been superb when it comes to people checking in when they said they would. Yes - today's guests just checked in too early, but the room was ready and now I have no body to hang around for, so I get to put on the grotty stuff and iron in relative comfort. Much better than trying to stay presentable while ironing in an un-air-conditioned OQ.
Also - if guests give me a time that is on the later side, I will always tell them it may just be a welcome note on the door .... keeps expectations in check.

I added the line to my policies...I hate adding stuff for ONE GUEST WHO CANNOT GET A GRIP...anyway, added the line that check in is on the day they reserved, or something like that. In other words, if you booked today, Friday Sept 3 you need to check in today, friday sept 3, not tomorrow...4am.

I'm going to regret saying this - BUT - so far this summer has been superb when it comes to people checking in when they said they would. Yes - today's guests just checked in too early, but the room was ready and now I have no body to hang around for, so I get to put on the grotty stuff and iron in relative comfort. Much better than trying to stay presentable while ironing in an un-air-conditioned OQ.
Also - if guests give me a time that is on the later side, I will always tell them it may just be a welcome note on the door .... keeps expectations in check.
Have you noticed it is cooling off outside? Open the windows wide! Iron on the porch!

I added the line to my policies...I hate adding stuff for ONE GUEST WHO CANNOT GET A GRIP...anyway, added the line that check in is on the day they reserved, or something like that. In other words, if you booked today, Friday Sept 3 you need to check in today, friday sept 3, not tomorrow...4am..
Totally HATE the 'one person' policy change.

We wont cool down til tomorrow, 93 here right now. Might be in the 70's tomorrow!

I have to say that this is one of those things on the website that I take note of. It's not the check-in policy so much as the wording of the innkeepers' policies. Seems like if the policies are worded in a negative way, the innkeepers can be cranky. This isn't scientific, just my experience.
As with the innkeeper who I called from the road several hours before when my reservation had said I'd be there when I anticipated that I would be later than my planned arrival time due to a nail in my tire, but within the check-in time frame. And I called back when I was about 10 minutes out. I had also driven through a deluge of torrential rain to get there. This guy made a point to tell me that I interrupted their dinner and was extremely curt. After a hideous driving experience, it put a damper on the whole stay. There was only one other room there that night.

Oh wait, this is funny...
The guests today who stay at a lot of B&B's told me of this other B&B. They were all dramatic with their NY and PITTS accents when they said and I emphasize (read it with one of those accents to get the full impact):
"GET THIS! They did NOT EVEN know us, and left us a note with the key to get in!"
I nearly fell over.
These guests thought it was the neatest thing ever!

Oh wait, this is funny...
The guests today who stay at a lot of B&B's told me of this other B&B. They were all dramatic with their NY and PITTS accents when they said and I emphasize (read it with one of those accents to get the full impact):
"GET THIS! They did NOT EVEN know us, and left us a note with the key to get in!"
I nearly fell over.
These guests thought it was the neatest thing ever!.
I totally LOVE that!
YES! Leave me a key with a note on how to get to my room and anything else I need to know. Don't bitch at me because I arrived 10 minutes before the end of your check-in window after calling you twice and letting you know that I was delayed AND also don't give me a lengthy, non-necessary tour including the importance of taking my recyclables and putting them in your giant recycle bins. That innkeeper could have been back eating dinner within 5 minutes of my arrival. No, I was not assisted with my bags. And, no my room was not difficult to find. And, there was a set breakfast time. So, not a lot of bases to cover.

And me, I have made a 180. While my website states from 3-7, I do ask guests when they call or book online when they will be checking in. Then their confirmation will state the agreed check in time if provided. Asking check in time a month before their arrival is worthless. The confirmation also states the following:
Check in is between 3:00 - 7:00PM BY APPOINTMENT – Need late check in? Arrangements for this must be in advance. To be certain we are here to greet you on arrival, it is requested that you provide us with the approx. time of arrival no later than day before arrival. If your arrival time is altered due to bad weather or flight delays, etc., please let us know as soon as possible so arrangements can be made.
Arrivals have been more prompt since adding 'by appointment' a long with the 'to be certain we are here' really gets them. I get more calls now telling me they will be 30 minutes later or what ever. This is better than them telling me 3 and not showing until 9. Again, nothing is fool proof - I still get the ones that never give it another thought and arrive when ever they so desire, but my stats on this has really improved since this wording was added.

"Asking check in time a month before their arrival is worthless"
This is so hilarious. I wonder the same thing when I travel, how will I know what will happen in 3 months time on that exact day? Just tell me the check in times and I will be there within those times.

"Asking check in time a month before their arrival is worthless"
This is so hilarious. I wonder the same thing when I travel, how will I know what will happen in 3 months time on that exact day? Just tell me the check in times and I will be there within those times..
Some people would say that their flight got in at such and such or that they would be 'in town' the night beofre so they would come 'right over' after they checked out of the other place. Huh? It must be OBVIOUS that if they had to stay somehwere else the night before that their room would NOT be ready at 11.
Which is why I state the check-in time, firmly. I don't ask anymore because I was always getting '1 PM' for an answer. Even after I said what time check-in was.

Our confirmation says that cehck-in is normally after 4.30 because we are often out during the afternoons but if they want to check in earlier they should let us know and we will make sure we are here to greet them.
THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE THAT ARRIVE 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, without notification. Had 1 or 2 really stroppy guests becuase they arrived at 1pm and there was no-one here.
Had that thing were people stay in the local town the night before too. They must have breakfast, check-out and drive straight here without stopping. When do they think we clean rooms!!!!!! 10.10am arrival is the record so far!!!
I've tried to word the confirmation so I don't come across as the cranky B&B owner, but I'm going to change it next year to be a bit more blunt.

my earliest was 8.30 and they came and had breakfast (for a fee) then went shopping. Really just wanted to park didn't come back till 4pm which was fine. They were really nice people so i didn't mind. Its the ones that act like early check in is a right not a privalidge. At the travel lodge you have to que outside till 2.30 if you arrive earlier tough!

H and I had a discussion abt 11:00 pm, while waiting for late arrivals. Wondering if we should charge them extra for check-in after 9:00 pm? Just throwing around ideas for controlling the insanity! We discussed charging $10.00 for after 9pm arrivals. Any thoughts? Would it encourage people to be on time?
(The late people are lovely, from the UK, and really did not realize the route they chose was quite mountainous, curvy, with numerous narrow bridges, and RVs. They also did not realize it is a holiday weekend here!)

H and I had a discussion abt 11:00 pm, while waiting for late arrivals. Wondering if we should charge them extra for check-in after 9:00 pm? Just throwing around ideas for controlling the insanity! We discussed charging $10.00 for after 9pm arrivals. Any thoughts? Would it encourage people to be on time?
(The late people are lovely, from the UK, and really did not realize the route they chose was quite mountainous, curvy, with numerous narrow bridges, and RVs. They also did not realize it is a holiday weekend here!).
$10 is not enough to make someone try to be on time. So, if doing a self-check-in doesn't work where you are, charge more.

Our check in last night had no idea and they said looking at a map it showed 130 miles and it took them hours and hours. I don't quiz people to find out WHY it took so long, they were already flustered from driving. If you are in a different place, it always takes longer than you figure to go point a to point b.

Our check in last night had no idea and they said looking at a map it showed 130 miles and it took them hours and hours. I don't quiz people to find out WHY it took so long, they were already flustered from driving. If you are in a different place, it always takes longer than you figure to go point a to point b..
Joey Bloggs said:
Our check in last night had no idea and they said looking at a map it showed 130 miles and it took them hours and hours. I don't quiz people to find out WHY it took so long, they were already flustered from driving. If you are in a different place, it always takes longer than you figure to go point a to point b.
I have experienced this phenomenon myself. Frustrating, but without a time machine, there's no way to correct it. Recently, it took my DH 8 hours to drive us a >5 hour drive. At the end we were tired, mystified, and annoyed (because we trusted that STUPID GPS and we know better). I really would not have wanted to re-hash our poor choices.

Back