Check in times

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
It has now come to the point of guests, most of them NOT selecting a check in time at all. This weekend, all of the bookings did not select a check in time. I have the check in times on their confirmation and at what point it will become a self check in. I find it odd, that the more GPS-ish we become the less accurate we now are.
I don't want anyone to feel compelled to rush when they have a beautiful day to enjoy, so I am not bothered by it, if they are not here within the check in window, there will be a note waiting for them. This has really made everything that much simpler. IF they were foreign, as mentioned on another thread, I would be sure it was spelled out clearly and they had no trouble checking in, if they are American then they are capable of self check ins in the later evening.

I think most of mine leave it at the default of 3 PM. I would still rather they let me know so I'm not rushing around at 2:45 to clear out the laundry. Then again, someone picked 5 PM the other day and showed up at noon.

we had this had 2 check ins one at 2pm and one at 4 so went to the wholesaler and they both turned up at 12 which is before check in time anyway.
Why pick a time at all if you don't intend to turn up then?

we had this had 2 check ins one at 2pm and one at 4 so went to the wholesaler and they both turned up at 12 which is before check in time anyway.
Why pick a time at all if you don't intend to turn up then?.
We added a statement to our reminders that basically says:
1. There is no front desk, so we need an arrival time to ensure we are there.
2. If you are more than an hour late and don't call, we may have to hire a housesitter to greet you, at your personal cost.
Not perfect, but it's made it a lot easier. And if I go out, I post a note saying that "Check-in time is 3PM. Please come back after that time."

There is a note on the door, always, stating check in times and we do not accept marketers or tours without an appt, By Appt Only. I take the note OFF the door at check in time. I love it when they pick up their cell phone and call and say "I am here to see the inn, may I come in now" after trying to locked door three or four times (LOVE MY KEYPAD LOCK! LOVE IT!) and I state "By appt only" and they say "But I am here!" Or I see them pick up the phone and I won't answer it.

Stuff happens when you travel. When they call as they are rolling INTO TOWN, does me no flippin' good. Either call early and tell us or don't bother at all. Telling me "Okay we are in town now" is futile. And then they have traveled a gazillion miles and they can't figure out where to park and call 5 times. Yep, happened this week, again. I tell them on confirmation parking is in rear (and they think a historic home has some sort of driveway to go back there or something). Work it out.
I have been to a few of the inns on this forum and none of the parking is TRICKY, it just is where it is.

There is a note on the door, always, stating check in times and we do not accept marketers or tours without an appt, By Appt Only. I take the note OFF the door at check in time. I love it when they pick up their cell phone and call and say "I am here to see the inn, may I come in now" after trying to locked door three or four times (LOVE MY KEYPAD LOCK! LOVE IT!) and I state "By appt only" and they say "But I am here!" Or I see them pick up the phone and I won't answer it.
I want one that says "No solicitation, no tours, no walkups and no crazy immoral neighbours"

I want one that says "No solicitation, no tours, no walkups and no crazy immoral neighbours"
Well, now. Crazy, immoral neighbors. That's a story right there!

Back