Check It Out!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
OK, Guys, the new web site is now live. I still have to take more photos for it. With the bathroom, kids, guests etc I have not been able to go get teh pix I want. Had to wait for foliage at the covered bridges and the rain to stop so I can take DH's paintings outside to attempt to photograph them for the art gallery.
I hope you like it. It is my best shot at a decent web site. I had a lot of extremely good help with it - almost totally really.

I'm not a website designer so I don't have any suggestions but I do like it that it shows off your house a lot more. The website is simple and easy to navigate and the "Book Now" link is a good idea. I like your shower too. It is nice and clean and the soap dispener in the shower is a good idea.

Way to go, K! that's a great shot of your inn on the first page. (I also see you have quoted us on the specials page - thanks!)

I'm not a website designer so I don't have any suggestions but I do like it that it shows off your house a lot more. The website is simple and easy to navigate and the "Book Now" link is a good idea. I like your shower too. It is nice and clean and the soap dispener in the shower is a good idea..
oceans said:
I'm not a website designer so I don't have any suggestions but I do like it that it shows off your house a lot more.
I like it. It's very clean and easy to navigate. Information can be found in one or two mouse clicks. Did you do your own photography? Very well done! I also like the bit in your policies about the charge for a lost room key. We have custom-made pewter key rings that would be difficult (and expensive to replace)
My only minor criticism is that the picture of the house might be a little TOO big because one has to scroll down to get to the content. I'm lazy. I don't like to work when I'm browsing. I have a feeling I may not be alone.

I'm not a website designer so I don't have any suggestions but I do like it that it shows off your house a lot more. The website is simple and easy to navigate and the "Book Now" link is a good idea. I like your shower too. It is nice and clean and the soap dispener in the shower is a good idea..
oceans said:
I'm not a website designer so I don't have any suggestions but I do like it that it shows off your house a lot more.
I like it. It's very clean and easy to navigate. Information can be found in one or two mouse clicks. Did you do your own photography? Very well done! I also like the bit in your policies about the charge for a lost room key. We have custom-made pewter key rings that would be difficult (and expensive to replace)
My only minor criticism is that the picture of the house might be a little TOO big because one has to scroll down to get to the content. I'm lazy. I don't like to work when I'm browsing. I have a feeling I may not be alone.
It just depends on what size monitor you have:-(
I don't have to scroll at all :)

oceans said:
catlady said:
I have to scroll, too, so my suggestion would be a different photo for each page so you know you have changed pages. (So says me who has the same header photo on each page.) The house for the home page, keep the covered bridge, a special room shot for the rooms page, you get the idea.
I would also suggest some background color. Or a wallpaper. Or a border around the text. The whole page comes across as gray and cool, I think you want something more warm. (Not the burgundy, that would be too dark.)

i think this site represents your B&B much better. i don't have to scroll to read the text on home page. (my monitor is 19"). have you received any comments/responses from guests making inquiries? i would suggest more photos of food, if you have them.

It appears that regular monitors are ok, but as many are using laptops when traveling, it's a good thing to consider. As I will be doing!

i agree with bree about changing the picture on the different pages ... like the room page and those other pages have a different picture ... and i do like color borders with a bit smaller picture but that is me.
i miss the porch pic with the hat! is there any way to include it again? or maybe it's there and i didn't see it
websites are so fun!
well done!

Congratulations K! This one is far superior to the old one and I think you'll see more action from it. I agree with changing the header pages.
Wow, new wi-fi AND a new website...you've been busy!

oceans said:
Thank you - all of you. Yes, PT, I did the photos. I put my camera on the tri-pod and scrunched into the corners and took them over and over and over again until my web designer was satisfied with the product. I will pass all the suggestions on to my designer for consideration. My designer is an artiste! and one does not mess with artistes!
Edited to add, as soon as I can, there will be more photos of the covered bridges, breakfasts. and the paintings. The trees are now green and the rainy season is almost over. Now time is my problem.

Technically it checks out good. Checked it out in a variety of browsers. I like the non-scrolling navigation, very nice for not having to race back to top or bottom to move about. That works in all browsers except IE6 and earlier as they don't support that..but it looks like it degrades fine in those older versions too.
I agree with others that said photos should change on each page and it looks like that is already the intent as they change on many of the pages. So when you get more photos it looks like they could become part of it.
The blog looks great. and already your site balooned from what it was at a dozen or so pages out to over 100. You now have a lot more fishing hooks in the water.

Very easy to navigate! Very good pictures...as you said tho...need more of them, and as others said - different one on each page. I LOVE the large photo of the home. I only wish we had that kind of curb-side appeal to blow up onto my home page.
I think you should get a link to your blog on the navigation bar of the home page.
I am a big fan of less text with more info on home pages. Bulleted items are easy to read and attract the eye. Items can also be an internal link to more detailed info somewhere else on the site. Internal links are a good thing. I would try that also.
You are awesome to take this task on yourself, and you did a great job. I also like that it is different tham the formula sites out there, (there are so many of them), and you stand out. It will be a work in progress, I know because I do it too! I can't leave it alone.
I see there are quite a few of us on this site here. I don't know about the rest of you, but as far as my website is concerned - I am a control freak and couldn't let anyone else do it. I may not be the best, but I am at least in control of something in my life.

Very easy to navigate! Very good pictures...as you said tho...need more of them, and as others said - different one on each page. I LOVE the large photo of the home. I only wish we had that kind of curb-side appeal to blow up onto my home page.
I think you should get a link to your blog on the navigation bar of the home page.
I am a big fan of less text with more info on home pages. Bulleted items are easy to read and attract the eye. Items can also be an internal link to more detailed info somewhere else on the site. Internal links are a good thing. I would try that also.
You are awesome to take this task on yourself, and you did a great job. I also like that it is different tham the formula sites out there, (there are so many of them), and you stand out. It will be a work in progress, I know because I do it too! I can't leave it alone.
I see there are quite a few of us on this site here. I don't know about the rest of you, but as far as my website is concerned - I am a control freak and couldn't let anyone else do it. I may not be the best, but I am at least in control of something in my life..
Just looked at your website...Beautiful! Very nicely done.

Really nice improvement! The pics are great, can't wait 'til you add the ones that will go with the "Specials" of the covered bridges, etc. Makes me want to plan a trip right now!

K, nice features on your new website. I hope you are packed to the gills with all sorts of interesting guests from it!

I see there are quite a few of us on this site here. I don't know about the rest of you, but as far as my website is concerned - I am a control freak and couldn't let anyone else do it. I may not be the best, but I am at least in control of something in my life..
Thanks, wish I could take the credit. I have a designer in the family who really IS good or I would not trust him to do it - as I say in my aspiring classes - do not get Cousin Ernie unless he is a professional. "Cousin Ernie" told me he would do it for me if I was patient and would not tell anyone. He is soooo swamped with work that he is NOT trolling for more.

Thanks, wish I could take the credit. I have a designer in the family who really IS good or I would not trust him to do it - as I say in my aspiring classes - do not get Cousin Ernie unless he is a professional. "Cousin Ernie" told me he would do it for me if I was patient and would not tell anyone. He is soooo swamped with work that he is NOT trolling for more.
gillumhouse said:
Cousint Ernest T did good.
tounge_smile.gif

Back