Check-out Room Check

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Do you have a standard drill for check out room checks?
What have you found or prevented by doing this? Why do you do this, what is the main reason for it?
Is there a standard amount of time you give? ie immediately if possible so you can run a camera or phone charger out to the departing guests vehicle?
Or do you wait as they always run back in for something or to use the loo?

We have a very small B&B (3 rooms) and the Boss will say something to the effect " Let me just run over to the room to see if you have forgotten anything before you depart." About 25% of the guests for get something, i-pod, charger, socks etc., but it gives her a chance to give the room a quick once over.
BBBBob

Really? How do you do something like that without making the guest uncomfortable and making you look like a total a-hole? That kind of goes against the grain of hospitality.
We've had several discussions in this forum about how to handle situations after guests leave such as stains, missing items, left items etc. The consensus is that these are relatively rare occurrences and that there ARE after-action procedures that will take care of most things.

Okay here is my thing...you asked, oh wait, I asked!
Okay the one reason more than any other I do a quick room check after check out is...drum roll please - to flush the toilets. There, I said it. There is nothing worse to me than going to a room a couple hours later to find the toilet not flushed, it makes me sick. For some reason this is something people do. I know not why, in a hurry perhaps, not sure.

I do not have a standard time frame to check a room, but I do attempt to go as soon as possible after all the checkouts. My main reason is due to lights and AC - it really ticks me off that people are not courteous enough not to turn out the lights when departing. Yes, we use the energy saving bulbs but unnecessary usage is unnecessary usage!!!!
JB - Really? It happens that often? Ewwww. - But it is a good reason to do a run through asap.

Okay here is my thing...you asked, oh wait, I asked!
Okay the one reason more than any other I do a quick room check after check out is...drum roll please - to flush the toilets. There, I said it. There is nothing worse to me than going to a room a couple hours later to find the toilet not flushed, it makes me sick. For some reason this is something people do. I know not why, in a hurry perhaps, not sure..
you are so completely right. One time I told the chamber maid she could leave some rooms till the next day as she has a hospital appointment and it was a sunny day and it was one of the rooms we had left off and it was hot sunny weather EWWWW.

As innkeepers we had no standard drill per se, but if all the guests in one house seemed to leave at the same time & I was not needed by remaining guests, I would run and quickly check out the rooms for lights, fans, flushing, wet towels on furniture, and the most obvious power strips/plug locations for mobile phones/chargers. I've averted a few things by doing this and been able to catch a couple of guests so they could come back and get an item left behind. I found that the people that left a small clothing item were not that interested in either coming back to get it or having it returned to them.
We took payment at check-in, so I didn't get hung up with that when folks were leaving and could buzz into the rooms if that worked out.
As guests, my dh and I both do a final room check before we leave for the same kind of things. :)

No. We've rarely gotten to a room in less time than an hour. Some guests are still parked outside so I'll leave stuff in a plastic bag on the car.

I do not have a standard time frame to check a room, but I do attempt to go as soon as possible after all the checkouts. My main reason is due to lights and AC - it really ticks me off that people are not courteous enough not to turn out the lights when departing. Yes, we use the energy saving bulbs but unnecessary usage is unnecessary usage!!!!
JB - Really? It happens that often? Ewwww. - But it is a good reason to do a run through asap..
It happens often enough, ewww. And it's not like they tried and the toilet didn't work properly, either. We always immediately flush when going into a room.

Back