Check out this news in VA

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]New wine corkage law takes effect next week--restaurants in VA may now allow customers to bring in their own wine [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]http://t.co/q4vdETn[/COLOR]
BYOB
Inns will you provide a list of BYOB in your area for your guests? Esp thinking of those in Wine Country VA!

Imagine if B&B charged a corkage fee...maybe we should! Theyuse our glasses, sit on our porch...that'll be $10 thank you.
tounge_smile.gif

Imagine if B&B charged a corkage fee...maybe we should! Theyuse our glasses, sit on our porch...that'll be $10 thank you.
tounge_smile.gif
NOW you're talking! I'd also like to charge a hand-holding fee. I swear, everyone recently needs to be led everywhere.

tounge_smile.gif
NOW you're talking! I'd also like to charge a hand-holding fee. I swear, everyone recently needs to be led everywhere.
Don Draper said:
totally off topic
but a guest today (who was very sweet, I am not griping), but she said "I guess we forgot to mention my husband is diabetic" this was at check out, they never said anything at the table (but it was a full table so may have been shy about it). I felt like replying "yes I guess you forgot when you were both eating the double dark chocolate brownies at check in!"
What is the definition of a B&B Diabetic? "One who raids your fridge for soft drinks and eats all your double dark chocolate brownies"
It is almost like every 3 year old we have all met "I can't eat vegetables, I can only eat ice cream"...

tounge_smile.gif
Don Draper said:
totally off topic
but a guest today (who was very sweet, I am not griping), but she said "I guess we forgot to mention my husband is diabetic" this was at check out, they never said anything at the table (but it was a full table so may have been shy about it). I felt like replying "yes I guess you forgot when you were both eating the double dark chocolate brownies at check in!"
What is the definition of a B&B Diabetic? "One who raids your fridge for soft drinks and eats all your double dark chocolate brownies"
It is almost like every 3 year old we have all met "I can't eat vegetables, I can only eat ice cream"...
I emailed back to a guest who said he is type 1 diabetic. (Please, no explanations of what that is.) I replied back, 'What does that mean? What can you eat for breakfast?'
NO MORE. I am NOT a dietician, I am NOT your mother. I am NOT your dr. TELL me in plain English what you can/cannot eat. Do NOT make me go look it up.
Will I hear from them? No.

tounge_smile.gif
Don Draper said:
totally off topic
I emailed back to a guest who said he is type 1 diabetic. (Please, no explanations of what that is.) I replied back, 'What does that mean? What can you eat for breakfast?'
NO MORE. I am NOT a dietician, I am NOT your mother. I am NOT your dr. TELL me in plain English what you can/cannot eat. Do NOT make me go look it up.
type 1 controls it with diet type 2 with insulin.
Type 1 - no cake
Type 2 - cake to balance insulin

tounge_smile.gif
Don Draper said:
totally off topic
Hear, hear! In fact, on the "Special Needs" section of our rez form, it says "If you have special dietary needs it is helpful if you tell us what you CAN eat in addition to what you CANNOT!". Sometimes it works.

tounge_smile.gif
Don Draper said:
totally off topic
Hear, hear! In fact, on the "Special Needs" section of our rez form, it says "If you have special dietary needs it is helpful if you tell us what you CAN eat in addition to what you CANNOT!". Sometimes it works.
I cannot be expected to know this because one person will say, 'Make what you want, I'll adjust my meds,' and another will say, 'No, I can't eat that, no I can't eat that either, don't you have...?' Why would I have that? How was I supposed to know THAT'S the only thing you'd eat?
No. Guest problem, not mine. Not this year.

tounge_smile.gif
Don Draper said:
totally off topic
Alibi Ike said:
I recently got a reservation where they wrote that the wife is a pescatarian (but no shrimp). Speak english man!!!! I had to look that one up. Once I looked it up, I just changed them to vegetarian. Good grief!

tounge_smile.gif
Don Draper said:
totally off topic
Type 1 - no cake
Cam, it is the reverse - in the US anyway. DH is type 2 and controls w/diet - no meds.

think people with special needs should just say what they can't have. Just cos you know all about your condition doesn't mean anyone else does! I am sure everyone agrees.

tounge_smile.gif
Don Draper said:
totally off topic
Type 1 - no cake
Type 1 - no cake
Type 1 - Sometimes called Juvenile Diabetes is an autoimmune disease.
Type 2 - Adult (Onset) Diabetes - sometimes can handle it with medications.
Basically for type 1 they need to judge how much insulin they will need by what they eat. They will need a fridge for their insulin (usually) but basically ... low in fat, low in cholesterol, low in salt and low in added sugars. It includes lots of complex carbohydrates (whole-grains), fruits and vegetables. In other words, nothing that burns in the body quickly, like white bread.
Type 2 is basically low carb, low sugar diet. Skip bread, cakes etc. And they often want eggs, veggies or even hummus for breakfast. Milk, yogurt (especially sweetened), white wheats, rice, potatoes can all be problems. Basically they need protein and low carbs... WW.

think people with special needs should just say what they can't have. Just cos you know all about your condition doesn't mean anyone else does! I am sure everyone agrees..
think people with special needs should just say what they can't have. Just cos you know all about your condition doesn't mean anyone else does! I am sure everyone agrees.
I used to try to understand the different conditions. We would go out of our way to make something the guest could have only to have them look at it, look at what their friends got served and say, 'I want that!' If I mention they said they couldn't eat that they laugh and say, 'Oh, I TRY to stick to that, but I'm on vacation!' Then why bother to tell me?
So, no more in-the-dark-planning for us. Either you tell us what you can/cannot eat or you can have a scrambled egg or a box of cereal.

There are those who want to mommy their guests and will go to all lengths to do this and think the guests really appreciate it, when they walk out and see those guests reaching for the bacon! In the end the guests could care less. Really.
I was at an event yesterday and they had a chunk of vegetarians in the group and they said as they showed us the lunch "Vegetarians you can have cheese sandwiches or egg salad sandwiches" it was so simple that it made me smile! I mean they still had potato salad, pickles, chips, cookies and sodas like everyone else! They just didn't go out of the way to make ADDITIONAL FOOD for the vegetarians, they could just NOT TAKE THE TURKEY OR HAM! I was asked if I was vegetarian and I said "only on mon thru friday, only for breakfast" as I eat cereal.
cry_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif
Don Draper said:
totally off topic
Alibi Ike said:
I recently got a reservation where they wrote that the wife is a pescatarian (but no shrimp). Speak english man!!!! I had to look that one up. Once I looked it up, I just changed them to vegetarian. Good grief!
That's funny I just wrote my blog about this very subject yesterday - found a great cartoon to go with it too:
http://allinnkeepersgotoheaven.blogspot.com/
embaressed_smile.gif

Back