CHECK THE DATE

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Hello everyone, just a reminder if you find a thread with 100 comments pop up again, it means a spammer has gone through and posted on a bunch of old threads, and has been flagged so they crop up again.
So just check the date of the orig post and you might see it is from 2009 or something and not intended to be reignited.
Spammers come on here often, many times posing as innkeepers. It is what it is.
So if you are here and new and your first post is a LINK you will be locked out of the forum.
Read the forum rules and guidelines under "Terms of Use" at the bottom.

If not, I suppost it must be slightly onerous for you to check people's bonafides.
I do not usually check people's credentials. Only if someone posts a link or product recommendation as their first post, or digs up older threads or a hand full of other behaviours that make me suspicious.
Are these fora no longer intended to be places where we can learn from our colleagues?
This one is going a bit over the top. If you have lurked here often you will see that information among innkeepers or aspirings flows freely. You will also notice that the forum is very rarely cluttered with spam or deceptive advertising. That is due to all the members who flag suspicous posts when they see it. I thank them for that. It does make my management of the forum go much more smoothly. '
..., I will not point any more members of the B&B hosts associations that I belong to in this direction...
You are protective of the people you might want to send here. I am protective of the people that are here. We both want to protect people we care about.

Joey Bloggs said:
Spammers come on here often, many times posing as innkeepers...
So if you are here and new and your first post is a LINK you will be locked out of the forum. Read the forum rules and guidelines under "Terms of Use" at the bottom.
From lurking here for the last three months, I relise that you are probably our most prolific poster, Joey Bloggs.
On Yuku based boards I can see who has posted what and when and how frequently they have just read but not posted ("lurked").
Is there such a tool available here (or for the moderators) ?
If not, I suppost it must be slightly onerous for you to check people's bona fides.
Can you suggest a way that I can prove mine?
Would you perhaps email me at the address given on our family's website? We did come to Nelson on 17 December 1842 and my grand daughter did unveil the early settlers monument on Monday, 4 February 2008 - here's a picture of her:http://www.amberhouse.co.nz/nelson-new-zealand-history.html#Unveil
Did you yourself have any input into our"
Terms and Conditions for using INNspiring.com[/h1]INNspiring.com is a place where innkeepers and people with an interest in the innkeeping business (including vendors) are encouraged to come and share their thoughts and learn from each other. Given that many of our locations, clientele, experiences and attitudes may differ from time to time, we expect that discussions will sometimes result in disagreement but will remain civil and abide by the following terms."
?
Do you think they are outdated or obsolete? I rather like them.
Are these fora no longer intended to be places where we can learn from our colleagues?
Please be honest and if you really feel that you need to behave like a member of the exclusionist tendency of Wikipedia, I will not point any more members of the B&B hosts associations that I belong to in this direction...

If not, I suppost it must be slightly onerous for you to check people's bonafides.
I do not usually check people's credentials. Only if someone posts a link or product recommendation as their first post, or digs up older threads or a hand full of other behaviours that make me suspicious.
This one is going a bit over the top. If you have lurked here often you will see that information among innkeepers or aspirings flows freely. You will also notice that the forum is very rarely cluttered with spam or deceptive advertising. That is due to all the members who flag suspicous posts when they see it. I thank them for that. It does make my management of the forum go much more smoothly. '
..., I will not point any more members of the B&B hosts associations that I belong to in this direction...
You are protective of the people you might want to send here. I am protective of the people that are here. We both want to protect people we care about..
swirt said:
If you have lurked here often you will see that information among innkeepers or aspirings flows freely. You will also notice that the forum is very rarely cluttered with spam or deceptive advertising.
Well, I don't see any posts that go into the holding pen unless they emerge the other side so it is difficult for me to judge what is getting zapped. But I do take your word for it that genuinely helpful posts that conform to the FAQ guidelines will eventually re-appear.
I can only re-iterate that it might be a neat thing if posters were to be emailed when their posts are found supsicious so they can mount a defence.
Now I know what is happening I shall be patient and return to lurk mode, only posting when I think I can help a colleague save some time, money or hassle...
Thanks for being patient with me!

You are protective of the people you might want to send here. I am protective of the people that are here. We both want to protect people we care about..
swirt said:
If you have lurked here often you will see that information among innkeepers or aspirings flows freely. You will also notice that the forum is very rarely cluttered with spam or deceptive advertising.
Well, I don't see any posts that go into the holding pen unless they emerge the other side so it is difficult for me to judge what is getting zapped. But I do take your word for it that genuinely helpful posts that conform to the FAQ guidelines will eventually re-appear.
I can only re-iterate that it might be a neat thing if posters were to be emailed when their posts are found supsicious so they can mount a defence.
Now I know what is happening I shall be patient and return to lurk mode, only posting when I think I can help a colleague save some time, money or hassle...
You can usually spot them a mile off ie What kind of toiletries do you use? we use ***** and here is a link and they are really good etc but sometimes they are for all sorts - shoes is one I rememeber off the top of my head.

We were hit again with a spammer posting a bunch of rubbish, so if you see old threads pop up that is why.

swirt said:
- at the centre said:
It can look like a 'shoot first and ask questions later' kind of way of doing things, but it IS designed to keep spam OUT, not to a minimum. It is also designed to keep out shills. We all have favorite companies that we promote on here, but it's tough for it not to be seen as shilling when the first post you make is about a company.
There are a couple of other innkeeping forums that are open to the public that do not have the kind of group moderation that this one does. Tons of spam is to be found there.
We like to keep the sandbox clean. If that means a valid post or two get flagged, it happens. For the most part, it doesn't. Asking spammers to 'mount a defence' is like replying to the emails everyone gets about the 10 Greek priests who want to rent the inn for 2 weeks for their honeymoon. Waste of effort and a validation of a good email address to continue spamming.
We're just keeping our 'playground' free of annoyance. And, I will say, that the occasional post does go missing for no good reason. And then it shows up hours later, posted 3-4 times. The wonders of the internet.

We were hit again with a spammer posting a bunch of rubbish, so if you see old threads pop up that is why..
Maybe we need a "Spam Alert" at the top of the current thead list on the sidebar that would pop up if someone flagged a post? Just an idea..... Drat, now I have the Monty Python Spam song going in my head.... Too much coffee!

We were hit again with a spammer posting a bunch of rubbish, so if you see old threads pop up that is why..
Maybe we need a "Spam Alert" at the top of the current thead list on the sidebar that would pop up if someone flagged a post? Just an idea..... Drat, now I have the Monty Python Spam song going in my head.... Too much coffee!
LOL - I don't like you very much right now. Spam Spam Spam Spam
tounge_smile.gif

swirt said:
Thank you for the suggestion. No defence mounting is needed. I make my decision based on info that others don't have access to. The number of legitimate posts, like yours, that end up being withheld temporarilly, as opposed to actual spam is in the neighborhood of 1 in 500. I will not be emailing 499 spammers to reduce the angst of one person who posts product endorsements on their first post. I do not have that kind of time in my day.

white pine said:
Oooh! Thinking about coding methods required to make that happen just made my head hurt....and I think a scrunching noise was just created in my head... I need to go lay down now.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

white pine said:
Oooh! Thinking about coding methods required to make that happen just made my head hurt....and I think a scrunching noise was just created in my head... I need to go lay down now.

Maybe just the spam song? OK, I'm moving away from the netbook now......

white pine said:

Maybe just the spam song? OK, I'm moving away from the netbook now......
LOL. Been humming it for the past 20 minutes now. :)

Back