CHERRY CREAM-CHEESE BAKED FRENCH TOAST RECIPE

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
CHERRY CREAM-CHEESE BAKED FRENCH TOAST
12 slices fresh French bread (cut into ½” cubes)
8 ounces cream cheese, cut into 32 or more cubes
12 eggs
1 cup of Tart Cherries (fresh or frozen)
½ cup milk
1 cup maple syrup

• Preheat oven to 350*. Grease or spray 9 x 13 baking pan.
  • Place ½ of cubed bread into prepared pan.
  • Layer cherries over bread, then sprinkle with cream cheese cubes.
  • Top with remaining bread slices or cubes.
  • Mix eggs, milk and syrup. Pour mixture evenly over top layer of bread.
  • Press down with a spatula, making sure all liquid is soaked up.
  • Cover pan with foil. This can be prepared up to 24 hours ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to bake.
  • Bake covered for 30 minutes; uncover and bake an additional 30 to 40 minutes until top is browned and center is set.
Let cool 5 minutes.
Cut into 8 or more squares. Serve warm with cherry topping and maybe vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

CHERRY TOPPING
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup cold water
1cup tart cherries (fresh or frozen) 
  • On medium heat, bring water, sugar and cornstarch to a boil; stir until thickened.
  • Add 1 cup cherries. Heat until sauce thickens.
If you are anything like me, you tend to experiment with different fruits…strawberry and peach are also yummy!

Sounds yummy! Do you think it would work with dried cherries?

Thanks for sharing! This sounds yummy. My mother-in-law has a huge cherry tree that gives off a bounty in the next coming weeks, I will give this a try!

I recently made something just like this but my top layer of bread was hard and crunchy. I didn't press it down like with a spatula like your recipe calls for so I'm now assuming that was my problem.

Our cherry source just opened today! Woo-hoo! Gonna make jam and sauce....YAY!

Does this come out looking more like a bread pudding?.
Proud Texan said:
Does this come out looking more like a bread pudding?
The one I made similiar to this did look a lot like bread pudding.
GeorgiaGirl said:
Proud Texan said:
Does this come out looking more like a bread pudding?
The one I made similiar to this did look a lot like bread pudding.
Thought it might, what with everything simmering in liquid.

Reminds me of the yummy afternoon treat I served guests and now have them requesting it. For some reason, people love canned cherries. I have not made this for about 2 years, I guess I better get it back on the rotation. Here it is - I think I had posted it in the recipes section before:
Cherry Coffee Cake
1 - 18oz. box Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
2/3 cup water + 1 TBSP water
2 eggs
1 - 21oz. can cherry pie filling
1/3 cup butter
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
In a mixer add 1 1/2 cups of the yellow cake mix, 2/3 cup water and the eggs--beat until smooth. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 cake pan. Spoon pie filling on top of batter evenly. In a separate bowl add remaining yellow cake mix and the butter--mix with your fingers until it makes crumbs. Sprinkle the crumbs evenly on top of the cherry pie filling. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Cool completely. In a small bowl add powdered sugar and 1 TBSP water--stir to make glaze. Drizzle glaze on top of the cake.

Do you serve this as a main dish or fruit dish?.
It's a main dish, served with West Virginia Baked Bacon, cheesy potatoes, and fresh fruit on the side. I have to laugh....it's one of those things I don't eat very often, but guests LOVE it. They always say "How do you stay so thin eating like this"? LOL, like I eat breakfasts like that every day....or even consider myself thin!
wow.gif

It is our most requested breakfast, and the recipe that I get asked for the most.

Do you serve this as a main dish or fruit dish?.
It's a main dish, served with West Virginia Baked Bacon, cheesy potatoes, and fresh fruit on the side. I have to laugh....it's one of those things I don't eat very often, but guests LOVE it. They always say "How do you stay so thin eating like this"? LOL, like I eat breakfasts like that every day....or even consider myself thin!
wow.gif

It is our most requested breakfast, and the recipe that I get asked for the most.
I cannot wait to try this! Thanks again.

HEY! PEOPLE IN MICHIGAN! I have your countrymen here tonight. :) I think they said central or lower Michigan - Pinckney?

HEY! PEOPLE IN MICHIGAN! I have your countrymen here tonight. :) I think they said central or lower Michigan - Pinckney?.
Both..."Central Lower Michigan". Lower being the lower peninsula. (Trolls under the bridge, as the the yoopers call us).
There are three parts of Michigan. Downstate, Up North and "da U.P., eh!" (spoken with a thick Minnesota scandahoovian accent).

HEY! PEOPLE IN MICHIGAN! I have your countrymen here tonight. :) I think they said central or lower Michigan - Pinckney?.
Both..."Central Lower Michigan". Lower being the lower peninsula. (Trolls under the bridge, as the the yoopers call us).
There are three parts of Michigan. Downstate, Up North and "da U.P., eh!" (spoken with a thick Minnesota scandahoovian accent).
I love Michigan "mitten" geography!
Edited to add I would die for some Oberon right about now...

I'm going to try this on Sunday morning. The recipe calls for tart cherries. We currently have fresh, large, plump sweet red cherries at the Fresh Market. Can I use those instead of tart cherries? I've not cooked much with cherries.

I'm going to try this on Sunday morning. The recipe calls for tart cherries. We currently have fresh, large, plump sweet red cherries at the Fresh Market. Can I use those instead of tart cherries? I've not cooked much with cherries..
Sorry Miami
I didn't see this post until just now. Truly, you can use any fruit you like...blueberry and peach are also guest favorites, and he also used to make it with raspberries and apples together. We use cherries the most because they are a huge local thing here (National Cherry Festival and all of that, dontcha know)...I would think that any fruit that your region is known for would be a big draw for your guests, and would make it easy for you to get fresh and yummy!

This was a HUGE hit this morning, even by those who are not fans of bread pudding or french toast kind of dishes. Thanks for posting it. We love it, and we like how we can change out the fruit to make it different.

Back