Chickens?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom2Eight

Reaction score
Do any of you have chickens? We have a small backyard flock for eggs. If we do decide to go for it and buy a B&B, I was wondering if this is something that is even considered ok? Just curious.

Absolutely! We don't have chickens but we have friends who sell us eggs and it's great! If you can grow your own veggies and herbs, that's a bonus, too.

We've had chickens for most of the time we've had the B&B, but our current hens were getting on a bit and not laying. As we're going away for 2 weeks from mid October we decided to give them away, we'll get a fresh flock in the Spring.
It's definately something people like, we get a lot of comments about how nice the eggs are at breakfast. People like to go out in the garden to see and feed them too.

We've had chickens for most of the time we've had the B&B, but our current hens were getting on a bit and not laying. As we're going away for 2 weeks from mid October we decided to give them away, we'll get a fresh flock in the Spring.
It's definately something people like, we get a lot of comments about how nice the eggs are at breakfast. People like to go out in the garden to see and feed them too..
That is good to know. We are pretty fond of our girls. With the exception of times like this afternoon when I caught them snacking on my kale seedlings that are ready to plant in my hoop house.

If you can buy food at a farmer's market, then you should be able to use your own produce and eggs. My 2 cents. Of course, it all depends where you are, so toss my 2 cents out the window.

Absolutely! We don't have chickens but we have friends who sell us eggs and it's great! If you can grow your own veggies and herbs, that's a bonus, too..
Gardening is my therapy. Every spring I tell my husband that the $$ I spend on the gardens is way cheaper than a psychiatrist!

It will depend on the location of your B & B and the zoning laws. I am in a small city (pop 2300) less than 50 feet from a rail-trail and our zoning laws allow nothing other than dogs or cats. I would have to check to see about rabbits. that will be your determining factor. Also, if among your "ladies" if there is a "boyfriend", his announcing that the sun has arrived may not be conducive to happy guests.

Check if your local regulations for your prospective B&B location allow chickens and if they allow the eggs to be served to your guests. Some places allow the chickens but you can't serve those eggs to your guests (or whatever). Still remember a farmstay B&B in the UK snatching up some milk from the table that they were not supposed to serve to guests. We told them that it was OK, we wouldn't report them!

My friend Andy Schneider is known as "the Chicken Whisperer" check out his website and facebook page. Andy in fact stayed at my B&B, and fell in love with the area, quit his job as an EMT and he and his wife moved to the area. If you need anyone to fight for chicken rights, talk chickens in your area... He's your man!

i love fresh eggs ...
we had an egg man who delivered them to the b&b
BUT ... i stayed at an inn with chickens and maybe a rooster and we heard crowing and whatever at random times throughout the night!!! they live in little houses right next door to the guest rooms and it was noisy. not pleasant at all.
boom went my illusion (probably from cartoons) that chickens were quiet all night and then the rooster crows at dawn. wrong!!! not those chickens. i don't know if the noise depends on the type of chicken or what but i won't stay there again. the innkeeper was totally unsympathetic ... told me i needed to get the city out of me. thanks. should've blasted her with a review maybe.

i love fresh eggs ...
we had an egg man who delivered them to the b&b
BUT ... i stayed at an inn with chickens and maybe a rooster and we heard crowing and whatever at random times throughout the night!!! they live in little houses right next door to the guest rooms and it was noisy. not pleasant at all.
boom went my illusion (probably from cartoons) that chickens were quiet all night and then the rooster crows at dawn. wrong!!! not those chickens. i don't know if the noise depends on the type of chicken or what but i won't stay there again. the innkeeper was totally unsympathetic ... told me i needed to get the city out of me. thanks. should've blasted her with a review maybe..
Our friends have guard chickens. You pull into the yard and the roosters start squawking and the geese get going too.

We have chickens and the fresh eggs are great. The do cluck, sometimes loudly especially in the morning as they lay, usually quiet at night.
Do check on the regs when you purchase the property and also the regs regarding the B&B side.

Back