Child Free Inns

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all- last time I posted, you gave me wonderful advice and I always get good ideas from reading your posts. (Running a new B&B, still working out details.) Can anyone speak to the logic of taking 10 and over versus 12 and over kids? Our policy is currently 12 and over because of a bed-wetting problem we encountered with a particular younger kid (and the parents totally knew about the problem and did not warn us- our first lesson in dealing with rude guests!), but our location (and staff) is very kid-friendly, so I'm wondering if we might be safe to bring the age down from 12 to 10...thoughts?.
Lady225 said:
Hi all- last time I posted, you gave me wonderful advice and I always get good ideas from reading your posts. (Running a new B&B, still working out details.) Can anyone speak to the logic of taking 10 and over versus 12 and over kids? Our policy is currently 12 and over because of a bed-wetting problem we encountered with a particular younger kid (and the parents totally knew about the problem and did not warn us- our first lesson in dealing with rude guests!), but our location (and staff) is very kid-friendly, so I'm wondering if we might be safe to bring the age down from 12 to 10...thoughts?
Hi!
I look at it this way, if you accept kids, think about the age kids begin to babysit, 12 or 13. Elementary vs middle school/jr high. Are they more or less trouble or any trouble at all? Depends on the kid, right. :)

Hi all- last time I posted, you gave me wonderful advice and I always get good ideas from reading your posts. (Running a new B&B, still working out details.) Can anyone speak to the logic of taking 10 and over versus 12 and over kids? Our policy is currently 12 and over because of a bed-wetting problem we encountered with a particular younger kid (and the parents totally knew about the problem and did not warn us- our first lesson in dealing with rude guests!), but our location (and staff) is very kid-friendly, so I'm wondering if we might be safe to bring the age down from 12 to 10...thoughts?.
Guests will always try to push you a bit lower than your age limit. So we say 13 but will really take 10 and above...when we had it set at 10 we'd get questions all the time for 6, 7, 8 and that is just too young for us.

Why not any age? If you start off with newborn and go up from there, check to see what age your panic level drops and that's the age you'll be comfortable with having around.

LOL. We accept both dogs and children. Our website states, "Dogs with well-behaved owners".... and we figure that filters out a lot of folks--including many who don't have pets.
Dogs are better-behaved than children, and families seem to have figured out more appropriate ways to discipline their canines than their offspring.
That being said, just as we lay down rules for dogs, we do the same for children. "No, you can't let your toddler into the hot kitchen and play in the boiling grease." "No, it doesn't work for us to leave your child in your room all day while you go ski. Yes, I understand that he's very self-directed, but we're just not comfortable with him doing electricity experiments with the plugs."
Honest to Pete, the issue isn't the children, it's the parents.
Tom.
Talked to a lady this weekend who said she knew people who's attitude was, "I did my duty and had kids. I'm done." And the kids were basically left to their own devices....
gillumhouse said:
Talked to a lady this weekend who said she knew people who's attitude was, "I did my duty and had kids. I'm done." And the kids were basically left to their own devices....
I was a teacher (adults) at one time and we are taught about three types of parents, those who are overly attentive, those who are just right in their attentiveness and those who are absent. The children that are the most screwed up are those who have absent parents. You can see it even later in life as adults. I had one young man that didn't know the difference between positive attention and negative attention, he just craved attention, because he got none at home. Negative attention is just so much easier to obtain and it was a serious problem.

Lady225 said:
Hi all- last time I posted, you gave me wonderful advice and I always get good ideas from reading your posts. (Running a new B&B, still working out details.) Can anyone speak to the logic of taking 10 and over versus 12 and over kids? Our policy is currently 12 and over because of a bed-wetting problem we encountered with a particular younger kid (and the parents totally knew about the problem and did not warn us- our first lesson in dealing with rude guests!), but our location (and staff) is very kid-friendly, so I'm wondering if we might be safe to bring the age down from 12 to 10...thoughts?
We take all ages of kids. So far the only thing a kid has broken was the knobby top off a stone bishop from a chess set - and in the next day's mail we received a package from our middle son. He had broken a queen when he was here and took her home to mend. I have a doll with bisque head sitting on a bookshelf in the dining room - at 2-year old level. Not one child has ever touched it. I have never "child-proofed" my house. Adults are the ones who have boken things here. Dolls all over the house (I DO take them out of the rooms when kids are present due to "attractive nuisance" factor.) amd the only one that has ever been boken was broken by - ME!

I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon glass dining table

I cant be the only B&B thats a Cottage Bed and Breakfast. Children and pets are welcome here as my rooms are seperate from one another. 100% of damage( so far) is done by adults. Each of the 3 units are different and have different dog/child requirements. I have more dogs than children come here. Sign of the times ?

Back