Child Free Inns

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChildFreeLife

Reaction score
Greetings!
My husband and I are child free. When we travel in North America, we usually drive, and stay in B&B because of the comfort and charm. We usually travel in the Northeast, and Quebec province. Is there a list of child free B&B online someplace? While we do have a small list of our favorite B&B in the New England area, it's always nice to see what other establishments there are, especially if they don't accept children :)
Thank you! :)

In many states having 'child free' policies is illegal. We cannot discriminate against families who choose a B&B as an option.
Not sure exactly how you would go about it other than searching for "B&B" + "no children" and see what turns up.

I think one could get into a real trouble anywhere this days if you market yourself as "child free" B&B. Read the policies carefully for clues such as " children 10+ years old are welcome", "not suitable for young children", etc.
We do not have many children as we do not discount and charge full price even for a very young one. From our experience, most people do not want to pay a full fee for a child.
Just call and ask - choose your words carefully, re. Children policy.

I have been reading this forum today for the first time, and I'm amazed at how crappy some of your guests can be! We always stay in B&B when we travel, and the behaviors that I'm reading here are things that I'd be MORTIFIED to do, whether in a hotel, motel or B&B. More power to all of you!
So, thank you for the advice on child free B&B. I will try googling child free B&B and I'll scrutinize B&B policies. :)

Honey this weekend just past my friend who is also B&B had a woman who projectile vomited up the wall across the curtains and on the carpet in a stripe. and told Marie "sorry I was ill in the night made a little bit of mess" if she had vomited straight on the duvet at least you could have just chuched the whole lot out! in the end she had to scrubb the carpet with beach chuck out the curtains and paint the wall. My friend bev this week has had cutlery stolen off her breakfast tables and the list goes on. There is a blog "some guests suck" and people comment "oh if you hate guests so much why don't you get out" we don't hate guests most we like but its people like this that spoil it for everyone.

In many states having 'child free' policies is illegal. We cannot discriminate against families who choose a B&B as an option.
Not sure exactly how you would go about it other than searching for "B&B" + "no children" and see what turns up..
Our b and b is not appropriate for children, and our policy states that, along with a statement that if your party includes children please let us know and we will assist you in finding appropriate lodging. That said, I think we cannot refuse them...however our license allows 2 persons per room...most adults do not want to book an entire 2nd room to have the child. Plus, we let them know that an adult must accompany a child in a guest room. You might find it hard to find a bed and breakfast that bills themselves as child free...you may have to ask when you call. But let me add, in a situation where the adults DID decide to book another room, even brought along another adult to share the second room with the child, that we then notified each guest who booked that there would be a child in the inn. Since the family 4-some booked first well ahead of time and were the first to book, it worked. The subsequent guests all said they did not have a problem with it, one even shared she was a pediatric nurse and loved children. And the child turned out to be a perfectly delightful guest!

A friend sent me an email he got the other day from an inquiry...too funny!
"Your policy states you don't take children under 16. We have a one year old, can we bring him with us? If not, can you recommend a B & B that takes children?"
DUH! What part of the policy can't you read!!!

Honey this weekend just past my friend who is also B&B had a woman who projectile vomited up the wall across the curtains and on the carpet in a stripe. and told Marie "sorry I was ill in the night made a little bit of mess" if she had vomited straight on the duvet at least you could have just chuched the whole lot out! in the end she had to scrubb the carpet with beach chuck out the curtains and paint the wall. My friend bev this week has had cutlery stolen off her breakfast tables and the list goes on. There is a blog "some guests suck" and people comment "oh if you hate guests so much why don't you get out" we don't hate guests most we like but its people like this that spoil it for everyone..
I can't even legally force anyone to clean that. If they refuse, I have to call in a hazmat team. I'm sure that guest wouldn't like to see the bill for that!

My only advice is to look for a B&B that has ONE BED PER ROOM, ie max occupancy 2 and then bobsyeruncle.
If you are asking if there is a directory or such that lists "child free zones" I would say NO. They would not do that, but perhaps you here asking because of the child free flights that have recently hit the news? and other such news items. We are B&B operators, we do not discriminate, so if you are in diapers at 80 or 1 years old, and you have well behaved parents you most likely can rent a room! :)

Honey this weekend just past my friend who is also B&B had a woman who projectile vomited up the wall across the curtains and on the carpet in a stripe. and told Marie "sorry I was ill in the night made a little bit of mess" if she had vomited straight on the duvet at least you could have just chuched the whole lot out! in the end she had to scrubb the carpet with beach chuck out the curtains and paint the wall. My friend bev this week has had cutlery stolen off her breakfast tables and the list goes on. There is a blog "some guests suck" and people comment "oh if you hate guests so much why don't you get out" we don't hate guests most we like but its people like this that spoil it for everyone..
I can't even legally force anyone to clean that. If they refuse, I have to call in a hazmat team. I'm sure that guest wouldn't like to see the bill for that!
she billed them for everything including her time I said you did exactly right can't an adult person make it to a bin even? I had a horrible thing about 2 years ago where I threw up every 10 mins on the dot for 3 days and I never didn't make it!

ChildFreeLife said:
Greetings!
My husband and I are child free. When we travel in North America, we usually drive, and stay in B&B because of the comfort and charm. We usually travel in the Northeast, and Quebec province. Is there a list of child free B&B online someplace? While we do have a small list of our favorite B&B in the New England area, it's always nice to see what other establishments there are, especially if they don't accept children :)
You might check the state associations. Here in Virginina, our website allows you to search for specific things. If you go to www.innvirginia.com you will be able to search for inns that accept children - I'm not sure if you can search the other way. But most of us post if we accept children in our "policies".
RIki

ChildFreeLife said:
Greetings!
B & Bs are lodging facilities, open to the public, therefore we do not - as a practice - refuse to accept children. Some, because of location or the facility itself, do state "not suitable for children" or not for children under a certain age however it is the law in many States that inns cannot refuse to accept children. I personally would rather have a child in-house than some of the pets people drool over. As an innkeeper, I do not discriminate in any way with guests, I do discriminate with the 4-leggeds - they must stay at the stable. Who would be stupid enough to set themselves up for a lawsuit by ADVERTISING that they discriminate?

This is a great thread. We take children 13 years and older only. We get lots of requests for younger children, and we deny them all. I have to point out that it's not that we dont' want their child, it's just that we promise our guests a certain experience and young children are not a part of that. It's NOT discrimination, it's just a niche market.

i ran a b&b in maine where it is illegal to deny accommodation on the basis of age.
on the upper right column, there is a box that says SEARCH. if you type in 'children' you will find lots of threads on this site from 2008 and on addressing the issue(s) of child guests.

I have been reading this forum today for the first time, and I'm amazed at how crappy some of your guests can be! We always stay in B&B when we travel, and the behaviors that I'm reading here are things that I'd be MORTIFIED to do, whether in a hotel, motel or B&B. More power to all of you!
So, thank you for the advice on child free B&B. I will try googling child free B&B and I'll scrutinize B&B policies. :).
ChildFreeLife said:
lol & this is just the shared stuff!! we could go on & on daily... dealing with the public makes you often wonder just how some people actually survive out there-freaks! (NOT even one of our craziest examples: we had a woman once sit there IN FRONT OF MY HUSBAND & chew up carrot & spit it on her bread to make a sandwich. WHO DOES THIS?!?!!?)

I'm no help to you at all... I take kids. I don't take pets.
I've never had a mess from a guest kid (my own make plenty of messes, but at least their messes are confined to our private quarters). I've never had noise from a kid guest. I've never had things broken from a kid guest.
Adult guests, on the other hand.... all of the above!
My theory is that parents who want to stay at a place like mine, and who can afford my rates, are also parents who train their children to behave appropriately.
=)
Kk.

So, thank you for the advice on child free B&B. I will try googling child free B&B and I'll scrutinize B&B policies. :).
ChildFreeLife said:
So, thank you for the advice on child free B&B. I will try googling child free B&B and I'll scrutinize B&B policies. :)
Another variation to try would be " B&B adults only"

ChildFreeLife said:
swirt said:
That displayed xxx fun and frolic inns.
teeth_smile.gif

ChildFreeLife said:
swirt said:
teeth_smile.gif

Viper said:
swirt said:
teeth_smile.gif
Perhaps THAT is why they are looking for :child free"? or are they lawyers trolling for answers that will hang a defendent? Remember the discrimination ADA suits that worked the way up the East Coast? Sorry but for a first post to be a "chestnut" makes me wary.

Back