children and pets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As stated - you should first determine what type of clientele you want to attract...and does that match your location - i.e. if it is FQ New Orleans, I would say no children, but only if FQ - as N.O. has wonderful things for children as well, just not FQ.
There are pros and cons for limiting or allowing any sector...
When I saw this thread it reminded me of a restaurant that has been in the news lately - one of the articles here where they just state Screaming and misbehaving children will be asked to leave... one news interview with the owner states that all her patrons should be able to eat in peace...and all well behaved (disciplined) children were always welcome. Several news polls were highly in favor of the rest. - I can not tell you how many times my DH has told a hostess "2 for the non screaming children's section, please" !!!
And I can not resist not posting this quote from the article: "....who is a mom of two. "You can't help it if your kids scream." "
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
copperhead said:
I can not tell you how many times my DH has told a hostess "2 for the non screaming children's section, please" !!!
And I can not resist not posting this quote from the article: "....who is a mom of two. "You can't help it if your kids scream." "
The first time I did that, and it was because the hostess was leading us RIGHT to the table next to a family reunion where the kids WERE screaming and out of control, I'M the one who got the dirty look- from the hostess! And we could still hear that kid screaming until that family left and we were in an entirely different section of the restaurant.
But you really do not know what that hostess was thinking - she may have heard that same request several times in a row.... What DH usually gets is a little chuckle or sly smile and then say well this area seems a little less noisey -

As stated - you should first determine what type of clientele you want to attract...and does that match your location - i.e. if it is FQ New Orleans, I would say no children, but only if FQ - as N.O. has wonderful things for children as well, just not FQ.
When I saw this thread it reminded me of a restaurant that has been in the news lately - one of the articles here where they just state Screaming and misbehaving children will be asked to leave... one news interview with the owner states that all her patrons should be able to eat in peace...and all well behaved (disciplined) children were always welcome. Several news polls were highly in favor of the rest. - I can not tell you how many times my DH has told a hostess "2 for the non screaming children's section, please" !!!
copperhead said:
My father would have just said (as he was removing his belt) "I'll give you something to scream about!"
cry_smile.gif

Did we have the same father? :)

copperhead said:
My father would have just said (as he was removing his belt) "I'll give you something to scream about!"
cry_smile.gif

Your father must have had a sex change, because that was my mother!
poke.gif

correct "one day" we are in Australia ....Oprah Winfrey territory........ grateful for all the comments and advice. I also hear that even if Innkeepers have domestic pets they do not necessarily feel obliged to allow travelling pets. Is that correct?. JJ

correct "one day" we are in Australia ....Oprah Winfrey territory........ grateful for all the comments and advice. I also hear that even if Innkeepers have domestic pets they do not necessarily feel obliged to allow travelling pets. Is that correct?. JJ.
flossy said:
correct "one day" we are in Australia ....Oprah Winfrey territory........ grateful for all the comments and advice. I also hear that even if Innkeepers have domestic pets they do not necessarily feel obliged to allow travelling pets. Is that correct?. JJ
True. I know lots of innkeepers with pets of their own who do not allow guest pets and many for the simple reason that their own pet wouldn't like it.

We don't do children or pets. Do we lose business? Probably. They go to our local competitors. We do however get most if not all of the romantic couple getaway crowd and they don't. We decided to be good at one thing and not try to be everything to everyone. That works for us, but I can see how is wouldn't for someone located in a tourist area..
Proud Texan said:
We don't do children or pets. Do we lose business? Probably. They go to our local competitors.
Losing business can't be looked at only as the loss of some guests who can't travel without kids or dogs. You also have to look at the people who choose you specifically because others won't have their kids or dogs with them. As always you have to look at net, rather than just minuses.
We are no kids, no animals. It suits our purposes just fine.

We have 2 dogs and 2 cats. We do not allow guest pets. We did for a time but cleaning up after the few pets we took in was way too much work for the number of pet people we booked in. Just not worth it for us. We do have all our animals' pics right up front on our website home page - so the people with pet allergies know right up front that we have pets in the house. We get a lot of people who come because we have the animals - they miss their own back home so much and our animals love the attention. Our pets are never in the rooms. The dogs and the indoor cat are all short haired and people who do have animal allergies, and have chosen to stay with us, don't have allergy problems.
Kids...we have the Carriage House out back for the young families. 1 unit with no kid age limits. It will sleep 2 or 3 little ones. Depending on the season and the kids, we talk to the parents about where they will eat AND size up our other guests, we may serve them breakfast out there instead of coming into the main house with the rest of the guests. We don't allow under 14 in the main house. 12 was the limit for a while but too many Moms were passing off their 10 yr olds to be 12 and then there they are, tearing around the place! Not nice for the romantic get away couples!!! Since we upped the age to 14, very few "kids" come with their parents to the main house. Works for us.

We operate a funky ski lodge. We are family friendly and dog friendly. Our dog policy (which we plagarized when doing research before opening) reads, "Dogs with well-mannered owners also enjoy the friendly atmosphere of the High Mountain Lodge." We have gotten a boatload of business because we are dog-friendly, including last-minute bookings from tear-their-hair frantic people who have gotten turned away from just about every other property in the valley. And just this week my wife, Julie, and I speculated that that phrase also filtered non-well-mannered dogless people from booking our lodge, as well. Certainly, we have had less than our fare share of PITAs.
Dogs don't bother us. Our experience is that people who travel with their dogs are pretty sensitive to the issues of traveling with their pets and are almost embarrassingly grateful to us for allowing them to stay at the lodge (for a $15 per night fee that includes a "doggie-welcome-package" with treats, a chew toy, and pick-up sacks).
Families are more problematic. There are as many family dynamics as there are families. Some are excellent, and some make you want to turn the parents in to social services just for the pleasure of seeing the sheriff drag them from your premises in shackles. And there are the occasional teenagers so astonishingly sullen and rude that you have to wonder why their parents didn't drown them when they were infants. Invariably, families tend to be focused on themselves and the parents more demanding.
We are more vigilant in enforcing our quiet hours where there are children in the Lodge, and for breakfast we always lay in a supply of Cheerios as well as a subversive assortment of sugar-bomb cereals, which we offer selectively, depending on the dietary-correctness of their parents. Then there was the memorable three-year-old who ate all her parents' roasted asparagus at breakfast and threw a tantrum of biblical proportions when told there wasn't any more hollandaise. My wife pointed out I should take it as a compliment to my cooking, but I'm just fine with guests being less demonstrable in their praise.
Tom

We don't do children or pets. Do we lose business? Probably. They go to our local competitors. We do however get most if not all of the romantic couple getaway crowd and they don't. We decided to be good at one thing and not try to be everything to everyone. That works for us, but I can see how is wouldn't for someone located in a tourist area..
Proud Texan said:
We don't do children or pets. Do we lose business? Probably. They go to our local competitors.
I'll happily send them to our local competitors.
regular_smile.gif

copperhead said:
cry_smile.gif

Your father must have had a sex change, because that was my mother!
poke.gif

We must be sisters!

correct "one day" we are in Australia ....Oprah Winfrey territory........ grateful for all the comments and advice. I also hear that even if Innkeepers have domestic pets they do not necessarily feel obliged to allow travelling pets. Is that correct?. JJ.
flossy said:
Our Borzoi hound was abused in a kennel and terrorized as a puppy by our then neighbor's pack of loose dogs every time we tried to walk him. As a result, now grown, his only response to any four footed animal is to protect the house. Other dogs would not have a chance. He is fine with humans, just a little shy.
Many inns cannot accept pets as their own animals are protective of their homes, and any true dog owner would understand this if you tell them. Not all play well with strangers.
If I were going to accept pets I would designate rooms that I can afford to lose (more allergic people in our reservation requests than pet requests so here you would lose business) and invest in a crate as many will not arrive with one (oh Fido is fine in the room and we've trained him not to get on the bed). I consider my dog well trained and every morning when DH gets up first to make coffee mine gets in to snuggle with me - sorry I was brought up in a zoo.
We just had a very nice couple here for their anniversary. They said they had a great time. They mentioned that they were in Williamsburg last year for their anniversary and that it was ruined. After making extensive plans to have their children taken care of so they could get away, they were awakened at 3am at this inn by a screaming baby that went on for hours. Case closed, this is why I don't take children here in wine country. That and the additional breakfast and boredom problems.
But again, this is why those with children have a great niche accepting families that works very well for them!
RIki

copperhead said:
If you can't help it if your kids scream then you stay at home. My parents trained us to behave in restaurants at an early age. If one of us started kicking a fuss one or the other would take us outside away from the other guests until they could control us. My mother was an animal lover who said it was just like obedience training her dogs.
RIki

I think it depends on your area as well. Where I am only 3 places take dogs so people will pay a $100 premium to bring their dog. One of my neighbours who does has 4 sort of cottages to the rear of her property where she takes dogs so they are completely separate from the house. they can only be left for breakfast with the owner the rest of the time. I would have a dog contract to sign on check in ie if there is damage, wee, fleas etc you will be charged. As regards kids if you don't want them and under the law you can exclude them that is up to you. However we see to do OK behaviour wise. One child who came with his grandmother was the most polite child i had ever met with excellent table manners and please and thank you and always looking after his gran and he was 7. We have only had one baby this year but she was fine stayed 3 nights in the end. They were moving to my town from Ireland and their stuff wasn't to come till the next day so initially just needed one night (turned up at the door a toddler, baby mum and dad in the pouring rain) luckily I had one room left and it was one large enough for 2 cots and I had just bought another cot!) must have been fate! they were really nice and then all the deposit for the house went wrong so stayed another 2 till was sorted. But we have really thick walls which does make a difference. You could maybe restrict what rooms are family friendly? I am not keen on 2 teenagers on their own in a room though as we had the parents in one room and the two kids in the room next door and they spilt some kind of orange drink on the carpet and we can't get it out. Policy is now one adult with each child!

I guess we should throw in a reminder here that, as I understand it, if it's a guide dog or other trained beast necessary for the wellbeing of a disabled person, businesses in the US are required to accept the animal, and with no extra charges.
Now, if the animal misbehaves, barks constantly, tears the place up, etc., that may be a different story. You'd probably be within your rights to evict them in such a case.

just wondering...
having read this thread.....situations with pets, that's fine, understandable and comes with the territory.
Kids.....Your policies are decided upon by you and the experiences you have had. But...If you read this thread as an outsider. Would it be perceived that B&B establishments are not kid friendly?
I don't care either way.....I would have an age restriction, and certainly be looking for the 2, 3 room booking, rather than hideaways or cots...

I guess we should throw in a reminder here that, as I understand it, if it's a guide dog or other trained beast necessary for the wellbeing of a disabled person, businesses in the US are required to accept the animal, and with no extra charges.
Now, if the animal misbehaves, barks constantly, tears the place up, etc., that may be a different story. You'd probably be within your rights to evict them in such a case..
Arkansawyer said:
Now, if the animal misbehaves, barks constantly, tears the place up, etc., that may be a different story. You'd probably be within your rights to evict them in such a case.
From the ADA Q&A:
10. Q: What if a service animal barks or growls at other people, or otherwise acts out of control?

A: You may exclude any animal, including a service animal, from your facility when that animal's behavior poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others. For example, any service animal that displays vicious behavior towards other guests or customers may be excluded. You may not make assumptions, however, about how a particular animal is likely to behave based on your past experience with other animals. Each situation must be considered individually.
Although a public accommodation may exclude any service animal that is out of control, it should give the individual with a disability who uses the service animal the option of continuing to enjoy its goods and services without having the service animal on the premises.
11. Q: Can I exclude an animal that doesn't really seem dangerous but is disruptive to my business?

A: There may be a few circumstances when a public accommodation is not required to accommodate a service animal--that is, when doing so would result in a fundamental alteration to the nature of the business. Generally, this is not likely to occur in restaurants, hotels, retail stores, theaters, concert halls, and sports facilities. But when it does, for example, when a dog barks during a movie, the animal can be excluded.

just wondering...
having read this thread.....situations with pets, that's fine, understandable and comes with the territory.
Kids.....Your policies are decided upon by you and the experiences you have had. But...If you read this thread as an outsider. Would it be perceived that B&B establishments are not kid friendly?
I don't care either way.....I would have an age restriction, and certainly be looking for the 2, 3 room booking, rather than hideaways or cots....
One Day said:
Would it be perceived that B&B establishments are not kid friendly?
Some are, many aren't. "Not kid friendly" sounds a little strong, but we must realize that many B&B's are designed as places for adults to get away from it all. They have certain expectations that their stay won't be spoiled by somebody else's noisy kids.
So my own wording might be that many B&B establishments are "not kid appropriate".

just wondering...
I don't care either way.....I would have an age restriction, and certainly be looking for the 2, 3 room booking, rather than hideaways or cots....
One Day said:
Some are, many aren't. "Not kid friendly" sounds a little strong, but we must realize that many B&B's are designed as places for adults to get away from it all. They have certain expectations that their stay won't be spoiled by somebody else's noisy kids.
So my own wording might be that many B&B establishments are "not kid appropriate".
Arkansawyer said:
One Day said:
Not suitable for children under the age of 12 (or whatever the age you choose)

just wondering...
One Day said:
Arkansawyer said:
One Day said:
How about "We love children.....just not yours."

just wondering...
One Day said:
Arkansawyer said:
One Day said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
One Day said:
And sometimes not even those. ;)

Back