children and pets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, yeah...
I get it......This thread, taken from the perspective of an outsider. And this was never intended to read and hashed out by outsiders......it just has an air of kin unfriendlyness.
I am in no way saying there is anything wrong with this....or that is right for that matter.
B&B's are not hotel/motels with cinder block walls.
I like kids........wait, that isn't totaly correct.........kids seem to like me. Just as I do well with pets.
Ah......forget I ever said anything. I know when my time comes I will be implementing similar or worse policies :)

Yeah, yeah...
I get it......This thread, taken from the perspective of an outsider. And this was never intended to read and hashed out by outsiders......it just has an air of kin unfriendlyness.
I am in no way saying there is anything wrong with this....or that is right for that matter.
I like kids........wait, that isn't totaly correct.........kids seem to like me. Just as I do well with pets.
Ah......forget I ever said anything. I know when my time comes I will be implementing similar or worse policies :).
One Day said:
I know when my time comes I will be implementing similar or worse policies :)
Maybe try to think of them as necessary policies for the sake of your niche, establishment, whatever, instead of "bad policies".

Yeah, yeah...
Ah......forget I ever said anything. I know when my time comes I will be implementing similar or worse policies :).
One Day said:
I know when my time comes I will be implementing similar or worse policies :)
Maybe try to think of them as necessary policies for the sake of your niche, establishment, whatever, instead of "bad policies".
absolutely....

just wondering...
having read this thread.....situations with pets, that's fine, understandable and comes with the territory.
Kids.....Your policies are decided upon by you and the experiences you have had. But...If you read this thread as an outsider. Would it be perceived that B&B establishments are not kid friendly?
I don't care either way.....I would have an age restriction, and certainly be looking for the 2, 3 room booking, rather than hideaways or cots....
One Day said:
just wondering...
having read this thread.....situations with pets, that's fine, understandable and comes with the territory.
Kids.....Your policies are decided upon by you and the experiences you have had. But...If you read this thread as an outsider. Would it be perceived that B&B establishments are not kid friendly?
I don't care either way.....I would have an age restriction, and certainly be looking for the 2, 3 room booking, rather than hideaways or cots...
I don't think it's so much not kid friendly. It's not what KIDS WANT. When I traveled with my family, and we traveled all over, my mother knew what would keep us happy - somewhere we could run around and enjoy the pool.
My B&B is six miles from downtown. I have a vineyard (kid yawning). I have woods with walking paths (I would have liked as a kid, but today, kid yawning). I serve breakfasts that they would probably eat. About the only thing I have here to entertain them is the wide screen tv and I can just see them dismantling it to hook up their games and messing up the system in the process, just like my nephews did at an inn in Vermont!
When I was a teen I would have hated being here. I would have wanted to be at the Omni Hotel on the downtown walking mall where I could have roamed all the stores and cafes.
So why should I let parents with kids stay here when there is absolutely nothing for them to do but be surly??? As i said, a couple just checking out said their anniversary last year was ruined by a baby screaming for hours starting at 3am in the room next to them. They appreciated that there were no kids here. I have a specific environment I am fostering - a quiet adult place where people can get away from the hustle and bustle of not only work, not only the city, but also get away from the responsibility of being a parent and catering to themselves for a change.
Others are catering to kids. All you have to do is go to our state association's website and do a search for kid-friendly B&Bs.
RIki

just wondering...
I don't care either way.....I would have an age restriction, and certainly be looking for the 2, 3 room booking, rather than hideaways or cots....
One Day said:
just wondering...
I don't care either way.....I would have an age restriction, and certainly be looking for the 2, 3 room booking, rather than hideaways or cots...
I don't think it's so much not kid friendly. It's not what KIDS WANT. When I traveled with my family, and we traveled all over, my mother knew what would keep us happy - somewhere we could run around and enjoy the pool.
My B&B is six miles from downtown. I have a vineyard (kid yawning). I have woods with walking paths (I would have liked as a kid, but today, kid yawning). I serve breakfasts that they would probably eat. About the only thing I have here to entertain them is the wide screen tv and I can just see them dismantling it to hook up their games and messing up the system in the process, just like my nephews did at an inn in Vermont!
When I was a teen I would have hated being here. I would have wanted to be at the Omni Hotel on the downtown walking mall where I could have roamed all the stores and cafes.
So why should I let parents with kids stay here when there is absolutely nothing for them to do but be surly??? As i said, a couple just checking out said their anniversary last year was ruined by a baby screaming for hours starting at 3am in the room next to them. They appreciated that there were no kids here. I have a specific environment I am fostering - a quiet adult place where people can get away from the hustle and bustle of not only work, not only the city, but also get away from the responsibility of being a parent and catering to themselves for a change.
Others are catering to kids. All you have to do is go to our state association's website and do a search for kid-friendly B&Bs.
RIki
Exactly. "Most of our guests are trying to get AWAY from kids...I hope you understand". Or, "We don't have high chairs, kid's beds, sippy cups, children's videos, video games or a pool. Perhaps the Holiday Inn would be more appropriate for you."

just wondering...
One Day said:
just wondering...
RIki
Exactly. "Most of our guests are trying to get AWAY from kids...I hope you understand". Or, "We don't have high chairs, kid's beds, sippy cups, children's videos, video games or a pool. Perhaps the Holiday Inn would be more appropriate for you."
Once you have decided on a no kids policy I think you get into awkward territory when you start to try and justify yourself, I made this mistake just the other day.
Had a telephone call from someone wanting two nights in October, two adults and a 13 month old. I said no babies, he sounded surprised at this, I went on the defensive......
me: We don't have the facilities for babies
pg: We'll bring our own cot
me: We don't have a high chair
pg: She'll sit on my wife's lap at breakfast.
I got caught out this time, normally I just say "Sorry, No". I do have telephone numbers of places that take young children and gave him those, but I was annoyed with myself that I even gave him the opportunity to question our policy.

just wondering...
One Day said:
just wondering...
RIki
Once you have decided on a no kids policy I think you get into awkward territory when you start to try and justify yourself, I made this mistake just the other day.
Had a telephone call from someone wanting two nights in October, two adults and a 13 month old. I said no babies, he sounded surprised at this, I went on the defensive......
me: We don't have the facilities for babies
pg: We'll bring our own cot
me: We don't have a high chair
pg: She'll sit on my wife's lap at breakfast.
I got caught out this time, normally I just say "Sorry, No". I do have telephone numbers of places that take young children and gave him those, but I was annoyed with myself that I even gave him the opportunity to question our policy.
Highlands John said:
but I was annoyed with myself that I even gave him the opportunity to question our policy.
You hit it right there. NEVER give the option to question the policy.
We get the same thing here with dog people. THEIR dog won't bark so why can't they leave it in the room? And a million other 'their dog won't...' so why can't they whatever. Like I said elsewhere, the worst ones are the ones who want ANY room in the inn and want to leave the dog alone all day because they want to go to a wedding. They ALL have 'pocket pets' who have bladders the size of a thimble. And they all sleep in the beds. No thank you.
We tell them the dog room is taken and here is a list of other places.
We do the same with parents with 3 kids. We just can't house 5 in a room. And they will ALL tell me the kids can sleep on the floor, just give the parents a bed. (And I know kids love sleeping on the floor, but people, have you never seen those stories about the floors in hotels? C'mon. Besides, I don't want it looking like a clown car in the morning as they all come tumbling out of the room!)

Back