Children policy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baygirl

Reaction score
We accept children over the age of 10. The age keep getting higher the longer we're in this business. How do you guys handle it when someone shows up with a baby or child? This happened to us today ... Grrrrrr Luckily they're here only for one night, but do you say something to them about the policy or just bite your tongue and hope all goes well? I feel for the poor people in the room next to them and hope they don't have to hear a baby crying at night or early in the morning. This isn't the first time it's happened to us and usually things work out, but it irks me because it's in our policy that they had to say they read before they confirm their reservation. Oh tis the season...........
Have you ever had anyone challenge your policy if you have one in place?

We speak to each of our guests before booking to ensure that no kids show up. In 24 years we have never had someone show up with a baby. We did have one mother who took two rooms, one for her and one for her son and girlfriend who were in college...yea right....he was not older than 16 and our cut off is 18. It was disturbing to have a juvenile in the house sleeping with a girl friend but since his mother was upstairs there was not much we could do about it but grit our teeth and count the days until they left.

We have a Pac N Play I think they are called now that we got when #4 grandchild came to visit @ 11 months. It has been used a LOT. We do take kids of all ages and the few (maybe twice in 17 years) times we had a fussy baby were blessed with them being the only guests in-house (one mother even told me the next morning how grateful she was that there were no other guests that night - in November? Here? I should be so lucky).
So few places take kids that it has worked for me. (I hate the Pac N Play though - it is a bitch to take down, at least it is for me!)

Guests have tried to force us to put 3 in one room because 'it's just a baby'. No can do. Showing up with extra people has been limited to adults. And college kids. Friends. But I don't remember little kids. (I may have blocked it, remind me if I'm getting forgetful!)
What would happen if the guest showed up and I had no room to move them to a room for 3? Or, in your case, they showed up with an unexpected baby or toddler for a room that slept two? I would refund their deposit and send them on their way. DH would check them in and forget to charge extra. He's the 'nice' one. I'm the bitch. Don't jerk me around by suddenly 'remembering' you have a child when you get to the door.
Like the people who suddenly remember the kid and the dog while on the phone making the rez.
Because you are worried about the guests in the next room is reason enough to send them on their way before they get settled in.

Happened once here several years ago. They had booked using one of the big booking engines and not direct. The reservation said 2 adults (the booking engine only gave that option). When they arrived with little one in the car seat/carrier my eyes went straight for the kid. They said the site did not allow them to put in the baby but they had mentioned it in the note section - no notation was listed.
Luckily there was no one in the rooms near them so I just went ahead and let them stay... no crib, no highchair. Had there been anyone in the rooms nearby I may have sent them packing AFTER I called to the booking engine.
The good / bad with dealing with third parties!

We speak to each of our guests before booking to ensure that no kids show up. In 24 years we have never had someone show up with a baby. We did have one mother who took two rooms, one for her and one for her son and girlfriend who were in college...yea right....he was not older than 16 and our cut off is 18. It was disturbing to have a juvenile in the house sleeping with a girl friend but since his mother was upstairs there was not much we could do about it but grit our teeth and count the days until they left..
I am with you Sliverspoon. We had parent sneek in their children. Any where between 9 and 10 years old .When we have found them out we charge them and find them a new place to stay. That does allow children. Our rules are clearly stated. We also chat with most before they take that confirmation that is sent out to them stating you read this and fully understand our policys. If you agree to all please email us back that you understand all. We also ask them to make sure we have the correct dates for them coming here.

Back