Chip & Pin - Visa to Pony Up Money to Get It Done!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So now we will all have to get new equipment?? I like the system but am sure I'll be expensive.
RIki

Good! They're much more secure than our magnetic strips. Like so many other things in the way of technology, the sheer size of the USA keeps us behind the rest of the world in so many things. It just takes forever to get a country this big ready to convert to new stuff.
Of course, China can do things quickly but I've heard living under a dictatorship has its drawbacks!

So now we will all have to get new equipment?? I like the system but am sure I'll be expensive.
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Many places I've visited in the US have chip&pin ready machines. In fact often it caused confusion because I have a card with a chip in it, when the card was swiped the machine would insist the card was inserted instead, but then the software seemed unable to copy with the pin checking process and the operator had to override the pin process to get it to work. Does your machine not have a slot for inserting cards?
How do self-service petrol pumps and self-serve check-outs in the supermarket work if you don't have chip&pin?

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Many places I've visited in the US have chip&pin ready machines. In fact often it caused confusion because I have a card with a chip in it, when the card was swiped the machine would insist the card was inserted instead, but then the software seemed unable to copy with the pin checking process and the operator had to override the pin process to get it to work. Does your machine not have a slot for inserting cards?
How do self-service petrol pumps and self-serve check-outs in the supermarket work if you don't have chip&pin?
Highlands John said:
You slide the card in the gas pump slot, pull it out, it authorizes and you pump away. At the supermarket there's no slot; you swipe your magnetic strip. Doesn't ask for a pin unless it's a debit card.
Most card readers here don't have a slot. Just a place to swipe the magnetic strip. Like you probably had 20 years ago! It's always hard when I visit Europe. They never know how to handle a card without a chip so they have to process it manually.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
You insert the magnetic strip and it takes it, no signature, no security. Sometimes it asks for your ZIP code... I'm Canadian, I don't have one, so I have to walk in and they have to do it all manually.
Basically, there is no security at all. Chargebacks are rampant, but Visa/MC usually make the merchant swallow the costs.

RIki.
I'm with Elavon, they just switched the equipment for me and it's all Chip & Pin now, except for Amex. They will need to do an update for Amex, since Amex rolled out their cards late.
It's so nice to be able to ask the client to put the card into the handset themselves and then process on chip & pin. The receipts say "Verified by PIN", so I don't have to worry about signatures.
Some cards won't ask for PIN, they print automatically (Switzerland was one of them). We had one person who didn't know their PIN and had to have someone else in their party pay.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Highlands John said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Here we slide it in and out, it asks for our zip code (for our mailing address) we enter the zip code on the key pad and pump away.

ours does chip and pin which is probably 99% of our business but every now and again we have international cards which are to sign for so it has a slidy bit on the side for non chip cards. I can also over ride it if people don't know their pin which isn't a problem very often but we deal with a lot of companies who have a company card and send it with the chaps who then promptly forget the pin. it does have the advantage of if you have pin entered you don't get charge backs which saves a lot of hassel and why when people ask me to just charge the card I as them to do it as it is slightly cheaper and means I have a legal leg to stand on if it comes to it. The only problem here is that so many places are charging straight away (CNP) that people think they have paid and that leads to arguments now and again ie ive paid no you havn't etc. the only trouble here is the thieves are getting wise to this ie stand behind you in a shop watch you put your pin in then steal your wallet. Also it has made a bit of a false sense of security with some people not understanding people can get your money without a pin ie totally forgetting about shopping online! ie steal your card majour online shopping spree.

ours does chip and pin which is probably 99% of our business but every now and again we have international cards which are to sign for so it has a slidy bit on the side for non chip cards. I can also over ride it if people don't know their pin which isn't a problem very often but we deal with a lot of companies who have a company card and send it with the chaps who then promptly forget the pin. it does have the advantage of if you have pin entered you don't get charge backs which saves a lot of hassel and why when people ask me to just charge the card I as them to do it as it is slightly cheaper and means I have a legal leg to stand on if it comes to it. The only problem here is that so many places are charging straight away (CNP) that people think they have paid and that leads to arguments now and again ie ive paid no you havn't etc. the only trouble here is the thieves are getting wise to this ie stand behind you in a shop watch you put your pin in then steal your wallet. Also it has made a bit of a false sense of security with some people not understanding people can get your money without a pin ie totally forgetting about shopping online! ie steal your card majour online shopping spree..
You can swipe if they don't know the PIN? We tried it with one customer and the system came back with "insert card in chip reader". And there is no override button for a missing PIN.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Highlands John said:
egoodell said:
RIki
I'm sure our little machine is not pin-ready. We'll have to pay for a new one, I'm sure.
RIki

ours does chip and pin which is probably 99% of our business but every now and again we have international cards which are to sign for so it has a slidy bit on the side for non chip cards. I can also over ride it if people don't know their pin which isn't a problem very often but we deal with a lot of companies who have a company card and send it with the chaps who then promptly forget the pin. it does have the advantage of if you have pin entered you don't get charge backs which saves a lot of hassel and why when people ask me to just charge the card I as them to do it as it is slightly cheaper and means I have a legal leg to stand on if it comes to it. The only problem here is that so many places are charging straight away (CNP) that people think they have paid and that leads to arguments now and again ie ive paid no you havn't etc. the only trouble here is the thieves are getting wise to this ie stand behind you in a shop watch you put your pin in then steal your wallet. Also it has made a bit of a false sense of security with some people not understanding people can get your money without a pin ie totally forgetting about shopping online! ie steal your card majour online shopping spree..
You can swipe if they don't know the PIN? We tried it with one customer and the system came back with "insert card in chip reader". And there is no override button for a missing PIN.
you have to type everything in and then it says is the customer present and you press yes and it prints out to sign. its cos of diabled people and people who can't see well they had to build it in. its rubbish really cos its easier for a blind person to put in a pin than to sign on a line they can't see surley?

Back