Chip Reader Figured Out - Finally

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Last night, I charged up my chip reader once again just in case I got a chip card. I removed the cover frim my iPhone and inserted the reader. It still did not recognize it was there. After the guest left (not chip card BTW), I had a brain cramp and tried it in my iPad - Voila! Apparently the reader stem is too fat for my iPhone port but it does fit in my iPad. NOW - I know!.

LOL
I use the chip reader in the ipad. Worked fine the first couple of tries....then not. A customer asked "is it charged?"
Doh!
Charged and ready for this morning.
I was so used to the original Square reader and forgot the new one needs to be charged up to use!

What's the version? If one is newer than the other that maybe the difference
the reader I used worked on both

the reader I used worked on both.
I do not know what version. I got it well in advance of Oct 1. It never "connected". Now that I know the problem (the original gizmo worked fine in the iPhone), it is not a problem.

Have a Square reader here for over a year and never used it (still use the machine) not sure how to do it all but what is a worry to me "how do you print a recite for guest " ....... ps I am totally a new device NERD !

Have a Square reader here for over a year and never used it (still use the machine) not sure how to do it all but what is a worry to me "how do you print a recite for guest " ....... ps I am totally a new device NERD !.
YOU don't. Square does. It will ask Do you want the receipt to go to your phone or to your e-mail? Then enter the one they want. If they have been charged for something using Square in the past with that card, it will automatically send to that location. My RezKey thank you also includes a receipt that I e-mail.

I do not know what version. I got it well in advance of Oct 1. It never "connected". Now that I know the problem (the original gizmo worked fine in the iPhone), it is not a problem.
What version iPhone vs. what version iPad? -- the chip-reader device won't work with older version phones or tablets (you can check the square site for a list of compatible devices). Alternatively, have you downloaded and installed the latest version of the Square register app on the phone? I think I had to not just "update," but "uninstall" the old version and then "install" the latest version. Also, in terms of getting it plugged in to your phone, if you have a cover or case for your phone, it may be that which is causing the problem-- If you take the phone out of the case, you should be able to plug the reader device all the way in (which would suggest maybe getting a new case that has a larger opening around the earphone jack). This is all assuming you want to be able to use the new reader on your phone as well as on your iPad...

What version iPhone vs. what version iPad? -- the chip-reader device won't work with older version phones or tablets (you can check the square site for a list of compatible devices). Alternatively, have you downloaded and installed the latest version of the Square register app on the phone? I think I had to not just "update," but "uninstall" the old version and then "install" the latest version. Also, in terms of getting it plugged in to your phone, if you have a cover or case for your phone, it may be that which is causing the problem-- If you take the phone out of the case, you should be able to plug the reader device all the way in (which would suggest maybe getting a new case that has a larger opening around the earphone jack). This is all assuming you want to be able to use the new reader on your phone as well as on your iPad...
I took the case off the top of my phone. The old gizmo has always worked - with the case on. The new chip reader mever worked for me. It was not until yesterday that I had the epiphany about the jacks. I got my 4-g phone just before the 5-g came out - because I needed it NOW. I got my iPad in 2013 on the wonderful Road Trip when I saw what an iPad could do. Bought it the first stop for lunch the first day out. The chip reader fits that so my problem is solved. I have had Square installed on both devices all along.
I have custody of the iPad again. Himself had it in his area while working on a painting that was completed in December. Talk about someone who is a tech ignoramus - but he got reasonable in the ability to call up the e-mail and the photos he needed.

I took the case off the top of my phone. The old gizmo has always worked - with the case on. The new chip reader mever worked for me. It was not until yesterday that I had the epiphany about the jacks. I got my 4-g phone just before the 5-g came out - because I needed it NOW. I got my iPad in 2013 on the wonderful Road Trip when I saw what an iPad could do. Bought it the first stop for lunch the first day out. The chip reader fits that so my problem is solved. I have had Square installed on both devices all along.
I have custody of the iPad again. Himself had it in his area while working on a painting that was completed in December. Talk about someone who is a tech ignoramus - but he got reasonable in the ability to call up the e-mail and the photos he needed.
According to Square, the Chip Card Reader is not compatible with a iPhone 4 (but it is with an iPhone 4S), so that may be your problem (?)

According to Square, the Chip Card Reader is not compatible with a iPhone 4 (but it is with an iPhone 4S), so that may be your problem (?)
Nope - I have Siri

Back