Choosing a new reservation software

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pomegranate

Reaction score
We are currently using Booking Centre and I am not satisfied with the software on many levels. We also have different versions for each inn which makes in even more difficult. I can see that Webervations seems to be the number one choice, is that correct? Is that because of its ease of use or its association with the industry? I would love to hear some reviews of different options before we make our final decision. This is not only a large financial commitment, but a commitment of time and training as well. I want to make sure when we jump off that bridge that the water below is going to be nice and warm!

If you read some of the post which have been going on here the past few days you should get lots of information about what is available. Webervations has been purchased by bedandbreakfast.com and though version 1 may stay the same that is all we know for now. Others to consider
Rezovations, SuperInns, Reservation Nexus
And others may chime in with what they use.

I tried the sample version of booking center and I didn't like it. Seemed to be very "clunky" and time consuming. I am on a Macintosh so I don't have many options. Superinn works good on the Mac but If you have a PC then Rezovation might be good. I wanted Rezovation but didn't want to get another computer.

I use Reservation Nexus. Although they may charge more, I really like their whole set up. I have found it easy to use. There customer service is excellent as well. I like the book keeping, esp when it is time to do lodging taxes. 2 or 3 clicks and I have an answer. I also like the face it has on my web site. Guests have reported that they have found it easy to use.

I'm quite happy with SuperInn & our guests seem to like it too. I haven't scratched the surface of the reporting capability yet.

I'm satisfied with SuperInn, but if I had it to do over again, I'd be using Rezovation and the Rezovation booking engine. May make the jump this winter.

Bang for the buck, pure and simple. But now it has been sold to BedandBreakfast.com so there will be some changes coming down the pike. The other threads are open for discussion.I am looking into Rezovation due to the auto payment taken as deposit, and lower cc fees using intuit for processing. The whole package is 100 times better than anything out there. Being a Microsoft gold partner is very valuable imo.

Anyone using eZee Frontdesk? That is the program that keeps popping to the top of my list. I will admit I hadn't looked at SuperInn at all.

I tried the sample version of booking center and I didn't like it. Seemed to be very "clunky" and time consuming. I am on a Macintosh so I don't have many options. Superinn works good on the Mac but If you have a PC then Rezovation might be good. I wanted Rezovation but didn't want to get another computer..
I'm on a Mac as well. Where can I get the Superinn software?

I tried the sample version of booking center and I didn't like it. Seemed to be very "clunky" and time consuming. I am on a Macintosh so I don't have many options. Superinn works good on the Mac but If you have a PC then Rezovation might be good. I wanted Rezovation but didn't want to get another computer..
I'm on a Mac as well. Where can I get the Superinn software?
There is no software for superinn. It is entirely web based. www.sarktech.com

Anyone using eZee Frontdesk? That is the program that keeps popping to the top of my list. I will admit I hadn't looked at SuperInn at all..
We have Rezovation GT. I am thinking of moving to ResNexus. Has anyone out there done this?
As near as I can tell the online service has some advantages. Any computer anywhere gets you on at no extra cost. REZ GT costs more for every computer it is on. If your computer crashes- you can still get in Nexus. Not sure about features. Any thoughts?

Hi Knkbnb,
Let me know if there are any specifics about RezOvation I can answer as we'd hate to lose anyone as a customer. We do have an extra charge per machine if you do a network setup, but that is really there because it is a lot more work to setup a network. Overall if you look at our fees, we include quite a bit in them that a Resnexus only includes in their "autopilot" level - so even with an extra few dollars for extra terminals, you wind up saving money.
You can see a comparison here: http://www.rezovation.com/resnexus.html. But for instance, we include the functionality to do automatic birthday, anniversary, and special event reminders in our pricing, where you have to pay extra for someone like Resnexus. We include a number of features like this - the ability to process credit cards (in a full lodging-certified gateway), automatic payment processing for online reservations, group functionality, and a connection to Webervations (with all Webervations fees paid). Again - none of these cost any extra.
Our philosophy has been to have one price for the product, and have it include all the features - but when it can be much harder to support (i.e supporting a home network setup which can be prone to problems outside our control) we charge a little more.
We also include a lot of features like a connection to Quickbooks, full booking engine customization, Verisign seals on every customer's web pages, daily hacker scanning seals on every customer's pages, and onward distribution to sites like BedandBreakfast.com, Expedia, hotels.com, Kayak, Sidestep, Nextag and others.
Hope that helps to explain it better,
John

Hi Knkbnb,
Let me know if there are any specifics about RezOvation I can answer as we'd hate to lose anyone as a customer. We do have an extra charge per machine if you do a network setup, but that is really there because it is a lot more work to setup a network. Overall if you look at our fees, we include quite a bit in them that a Resnexus only includes in their "autopilot" level - so even with an extra few dollars for extra terminals, you wind up saving money.
You can see a comparison here: http://www.rezovation.com/resnexus.html. But for instance, we include the functionality to do automatic birthday, anniversary, and special event reminders in our pricing, where you have to pay extra for someone like Resnexus. We include a number of features like this - the ability to process credit cards (in a full lodging-certified gateway), automatic payment processing for online reservations, group functionality, and a connection to Webervations (with all Webervations fees paid). Again - none of these cost any extra.
Our philosophy has been to have one price for the product, and have it include all the features - but when it can be much harder to support (i.e supporting a home network setup which can be prone to problems outside our control) we charge a little more.
We also include a lot of features like a connection to Quickbooks, full booking engine customization, Verisign seals on every customer's web pages, daily hacker scanning seals on every customer's pages, and onward distribution to sites like BedandBreakfast.com, Expedia, hotels.com, Kayak, Sidestep, Nextag and others.
John.
Geez - I typed in this whole long resonse and somehow deleted it.
The short of it is:
We bought the software prior to the new business model. We invested in the credit card machine. We tried to pay for help but couldn't get any. We like the ability to connect from any computer instead of lugging our laptop to South America, We think it is a fine product, but the cost for a small business using three computer- two at home and one on the road - is a heck of a lot more than we pay now, and I will look into the extra costs you mentioned.
Aloha
Kenny

Hi Knkbnb,
John.
The short of it is:
We bought the software prior to the new business model. We invested in the credit card machine. We tried to pay for help but couldn't get any. We like the ability to connect from any computer instead of lugging our laptop to South America, We think it is a fine product, but the cost for a small business using three computer- two at home and one on the road - is a heck of a lot more than we pay now, and I will look into the extra costs you mentioned.
Aloha
Kenny
Hi KnKBnb,
I just started using RezovationGT in the past month but might have a solution that has been working quite well for me. Keep in mind that I just stopped using Superinn, what I liked was that I could access Superinn from anywhere, but it was a slow system to use (pros and cons in all directions) but lots of clicks to get anything done and they currently have no advertised methods for accepting guest deposits automatically. (they have some on the side that they will set you up with if you complain, but it does not seem to be into full production).
Anyway, back to your concern of using multiple computers. I have RezovationGT installed on my main computer at home. Then I use ultraVNC to remotely control that computer when I am away from it. (This is similar to Remote Desktop (built into Windows professional), PC Anywhere, or Logmein. When I run ultrVNC on my laptop while traveling I see the desktop of my home computer so I can run RezovationGT and any other program using my home machine....makes it great for checking email too as any reply I make is on my home machine instead of having some replies on my laptop and some on my home and some on webmail. Everything is all in one spot. My desktop computer is in my basement office, but if someone calls for a reservation while I am upstairs, I simply grab the upstairs laptop and use ultravnc and am ready to go. One installation, multiple machines. The connection is encrypted in both directions.

Hi Knkbnb,
John.
Hi John,
I appreciate you taking the time to clear up any misconceptions related to the issue of installation on multiple machines and what that entails and why there is extra cost. Clearing up misinformation or clarification is certainly allowed and encouraged.
However the 2nd and 4th paragraphs are a bit more of a sales pitch than I'd like to see on here. In the future I suggest contacting the poster directly by email (I woudn't consider that spam because they are already a customer of yours). I know you walk a fine line on this forum and I tend to give you more latitude than most vendors because of all the great info you share and how often you actively listen to what is being said.

Hi Knkbnb,
John.
The short of it is:
Aloha
Kenny
Hi KnKBnb,
I just started using RezovationGT in the past month but might have a solution that has been working quite well for me. Keep in mind that I just stopped using Superinn, what I liked was that I could access Superinn from anywhere, but it was a slow system to use (pros and cons in all directions) but lots of clicks to get anything done and they currently have no advertised methods for accepting guest deposits automatically. (they have some on the side that they will set you up with if you complain, but it does not seem to be into full production).
Anyway, back to your concern of using multiple computers. I have RezovationGT installed on my main computer at home. Then I use ultraVNC to remotely control that computer when I am away from it. (This is similar to Remote Desktop (built into Windows professional), PC Anywhere, or Logmein. When I run ultrVNC on my laptop while traveling I see the desktop of my home computer so I can run RezovationGT and any other program using my home machine....makes it great for checking email too as any reply I make is on my home machine instead of having some replies on my laptop and some on my home and some on webmail. Everything is all in one spot. My desktop computer is in my basement office, but if someone calls for a reservation while I am upstairs, I simply grab the upstairs laptop and use ultravnc and am ready to go. One installation, multiple machines. The connection is encrypted in both directions.
How are you finding Rez GT compared to SuperInns? I am considering switching to Rez GT over the slow season, since I'm already on the Webervations 2.0.

Sorry - didn't mean to sound like a sales pitch, but now that I re-read it I can see your point... I'll try to better self-police my posts in the future. Sorry gang,
JB

Sorry - didn't mean to sound like a sales pitch, but now that I re-read it I can see your point... I'll try to better self-police my posts in the future. Sorry gang,
JB.
JBanczak said:
Sorry gang,
It's comments like that which make me read your posts as less of a sales pitch and more of an info-mercial (which is essentially a sales pitch, but different...sort of :) ). But I never feel as if you are tyring to ram your products down my throat. I like your ability to say that you are sorry about an infraction on this forum. Thanks for being as human as the rest of us

Hi Knkbnb,
John.
The short of it is:
Aloha
Kenny
Hi Knkbnb,
If you main goal is to be able to logon via the web through any machine in the world, that is definitely not our strong suit right now. I think Superinn and Resnexus have a lot of happy customers - so I suspect if they have the features you need, you will not be disappointed.
We've been working on a web-based solution for a while, and at some point we will have it - but we haven't found a way to do everything we want to be able to do yet to release something. At what point in time does this get critical for you?

JB.
Thanks John. Well done.

Back