Choosing a web hosting company..........

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kudzu

Reaction score
I am cross-eyed, dazed and confused! I have spent the weekend looking at web hosting companies. There is so much out there my brain is overloaded. From what I have read on Innspiring.com it is preferred that I build my own webite using something like Dreamweaver or similar. However, time + budget will not allow it. I need something like web.com,network solutions, ipage, or bluehost, etc. Is there anyone out there who has used one of these or similar hosting companies that offer templates for web design? If so I would love your feedback and opinion.
At the moment web.com has a special, for 11.95 a month you get hosting + DIY website design, search engine submissions and local directory submissions. For $144 a year it seems like a good deal.
Thanks!

I just posted this one http://www.securepaynet.net/hosting/website-builder.aspx?isc=eemrsc106a&ci=1806&prog_id=448605 which offers a "do it yourself" type plan.

Actually it is not preferred to build your own website. If you have never heard of the web design software how will you fee confident designing and building your own website? (This is a question in general, not address to you). TIME is what it will take and MUCH OF IT, even if you are a skilled web designer, it still takes MUCH TIME.
The $11.95 or host fee is the LEAST of the worries, that is the LAST thing to even consider.
Like mentioned on other threads, your website s/b #1 priority, no one knows how nice the rooms really are or the location if the website does not present it well.
The website is AN INVESTMENT.
Not sure where all the diy stuff comes from, this is not the area to skimp and try to save, this is the area that should be given top priority.
Photos. Content. SEO. Visually appealing in all aspects and user friendly.
Here is a link to look at some great websites for ideas:
http://www.acorn-is.com/portfolio-individual-inns.htm

Just as renovatiing your rooms or exterior, the goal is quality and eye appeal. Use cheap paint on your B&B, and not only will you be redoing several times, but everyone will know it was a cheap job. Use the proper quality, it will last longer, and you will reap the rewards. This is true with everything about your business, especially your website. These sites your talking about, with preconfigured online templates are very limited in there ability to deliver your message. They are usually 4-6 pages and do not (most of them) allow you to really add much customization. Downloading a website template from a site such as http://allwebcodesign.com/setup/templates.htm allows you to learn basic html skills on your home computer, then upload them to a host via FTP or other method you'd like.
The fact that you state Time + Budget will not allow is cause for concern. If you don't have the budget (understandable) then you need to find the time - we all have slow seasons - so time should be something you can find -
Just my 2 cents

I agree....don't go cheap on your web design. Hosting IS cheap! There are deals everywhere from Go Daddy to 1&1 and more. If you have a domain name that you're interested in, I would register that ASAP though.

Hosting is one of the cheapest parts of your website. Just look check out their uptime % and info on how they back up their servers...
One thing that has not been mentioned here is that needs to be mentioned is your domain name and purchase of that name. Make sure you purchase your name with a company such as Go Daddy or Network Solutions or Google. Some of these all in one packages purchase your domain name for you but it is more like a lease, if you choose to move to revamp your site and move to another host, you loose your domain name. Well they may be willing to sell it to you, at a very steep cost. Your domain name is something not to be messed around with... it becomes part of the business.

Boomer's and Joey's advice are spot on. If you don't have time or budget, then you have trouble. If you have budget, you don't need the time, or if you have the time, you can get by without the budget if you are able to learn. Many on the forum here have learned, but there are many others who have not. For lack of a few thousand dollars they lose many times that in lack of business.
I recommend 1and1. I use them for all my personal sites (including this one) and many of my client's sites. They do have build it yourself options for the basic cost of $3.99 per month (includes the domain name - and you own it). I do suggest you avoid the built in build it yourself option. It is limited and will have implications down the road when you decide you need a better website. If you must, go with the templates as Catlady described.

I have been designing and hosting web sites since 1994 (the second year the web even existed) and at this stage in technology, I recommend using Joomla for managing the content for most any web site. It offers a simple interface which allows easy editing and updating, without the fuss and muss of Dreamweaver InDesign or other hard core web design packages. There are oodles and oodles of free add-ons which can give you everything from Google maps to custmized online forms to a full fledged shopping cart--all for free.
The part where you may need assistance is with the "template" which provides the layout, look and feel for the site. You can start with a free template from somewhere like joomla24.com, design your own with a program like Artisteer, or retain a professional designer to make a custom one for you.
Most people who use professional developers to create their site don't understand that without a CMS (content management system) built in, they will likely have to pay the developer to make future changes and that will add up quickly if you are maintaining your site properly and adding new content on at least a weekly basis. With a CMS like Joomla, "anyone" can add or edit content quickly and easily from any place where they can access the web--with no software to install.
Hosting is a tricky subject because most consumers have no idea how to tell whether a hosting company is really any good or not. Often, what looks like a "great deal" will turn out to be insufficient to their needs (bandwidth is limited, size of site is too small, etc.) and they will need to upgrade (translate: pay more) to get what they need. The big boys of hosting, Godaddy, NetSol, etc., are notorious for hooking, then upselling like crazy. Granted, I own a hosting company with 15 datta centers, so I'm a little biased, but I'm trying to give the most objective advice I can here. :)
The place where people are REALLY abused by "professionals" is in the area of SEO (search engine optimization). Many firms charge from $700 to $7000 to "optimize" your web site to garner you higher rankings in organic (unpaid) searches with Google, etc. The truth is that in the current era of search engine algorythms, all of their expensive tricks are virtually useless and can often get your site "penalized" by Google for trickery. The key to SEO is good writing and following best practices when it comes to content management on your site. There are some free tools and plenty of great free advice out there to help you with SEO--so don't pay someone to do it for you, unless you simply want someone to "do it for you." The biggest warning I can give is to RUN from anyone who "guarantees" top ranking-- since this is IMPOSSIBLE to guarantee.
If anyone here would like FREE advice on this or related subjects, please feel free to contact me off-line. I give free classes locally on SEO, web development and related topics, so I am always glad to share my knowledge where I can.

I think this is really one of the best infformation shared with us regarding to knoe more about the web hosting, i think it will helps and attracts many peoples.Thanks for the post.
web services mumbai

Back