Christmas time in our small town

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Totally off topic, I just want to brag. Here is the blog with added 1 minute video of our 15 year old playing trumpet in our Christmas Parade today.

thumbs_up.gif
GREAT! What my niece wouldn't give to have a band that big!!! It is such a shame back home most of the school bands are lucky if they have 20 kids in them! She is grooming the young ones coming up but by that time, she probably will be teaching band somewhere else. She is so frustrated with the school system. They have come to expect so much from her with little help or reward.
I also saw the other post about your "guest". You all have such luck :-( You know my hubby, he'd been there with the shot gun.

Very good! Great band. It was like a trumpet solo as she went by. I'm beginning to get into the Christmas spirit, and this helped a bunch. Thanks!

thumbs_up.gif
GREAT! What my niece wouldn't give to have a band that big!!! It is such a shame back home most of the school bands are lucky if they have 20 kids in them! She is grooming the young ones coming up but by that time, she probably will be teaching band somewhere else. She is so frustrated with the school system. They have come to expect so much from her with little help or reward.
I also saw the other post about your "guest". You all have such luck :-( You know my hubby, he'd been there with the shot gun..
I went to a very large school in the city and we had just a small handful in band, no marching band, just a pep band really. No one even went to the football games.
But here, everyone there watching the parade knew someone in it, at least. It makes it more fun.
I had to laugh as the county supervisors went by on a float tossing out tootsie rolls, aka dog terds, figures!

Our parade was last night. I took photos but have not had time to download them yet (got a hall pass from tune-up). Our next to last song was Sleigh ride, and we always close with White Christmas.
Your parade was great and I loved the video. I wish I knew how to add video but part of my problem is I have the whole concert on the camcorder. Have no clue how to do just 1 minute. Our American Elegy - although not a Christmas song was great. Everyone has said this was our best one ever. You should have seen the Mayor directing Sleigh Ride!! We are so used to watching the conductor that we got "muddy" in a couple places - as he said, he hardly knows how to turn on the radio! That is what I would like to post - the Mayor conducting Sleigh Ride like it was a dirge!!

That was fun! I watched our parade from the sidewalk in front of our house.

Our parade will be Thursday evening. We switched to an after-dark Christmas parade years ago. They all use inverters that convert the 12 volt output from the vehicle pulling the float to 120 volts to run lights, music, whatever they want on the float. The cold and the dark really adds to the Christmas spirit of it all.

I downloaded my photos this morning. The Majorettes had lights on the batons and the Band Banner carriers were also lit up (with lights, not internally)..
lrg_EmailBand.JPG

We have 104 in our High School Band. I know the number because we are currently in a uniform fundraiser.
lrg_EmailGirlScouts.JPG

One of the Girl Scouts Floats
lrg_EmailTruck.JPG

They lit up one of the cement trucks - it was awesome! The bell is part of our City Lights - the Star in the other photos also.
The parade starts at 6 PM and the Community Band Concert warm-up bands start at 7 - we start playing by 7:45. This year the warm-ups were a Brass Band from a neighboring town and the Fair mont State University Sax Quartet (absolutely wonderful!).

Love the town parades with the marching bands! Our son's HS marching band was almost 300 kids! That was not a county high school either but just one of many HS bands. Friday night football and the marching bands were a big deal in Texas.
We went to the Veterans Day parade here in our downtown. The marching bands here are very different...looks of sparkling sequins on the flag squad participants outfits and even on some of the band uniforms....

Love the town parades with the marching bands! Our son's HS marching band was almost 300 kids! That was not a county high school either but just one of many HS bands. Friday night football and the marching bands were a big deal in Texas.
We went to the Veterans Day parade here in our downtown. The marching bands here are very different...looks of sparkling sequins on the flag squad participants outfits and even on some of the band uniforms.....
We have been fortunate so far that even with the consolidations that took place about 30 years ago, we still have 5 high schools in our County. (My home County is down to one in the whole county - were at least 3 when I started high school) Our high school serves the entire northern end of the county - some kids are on the bus 1 hour each way. We also have the largest band (and kids from the other high schools and middle schools are in our Community Band) and has the largest ROTC - ours is NJROTC with an award winning rifle team (DH has coached that team for 14 years now.). Not ashamed to be proud of our high school (in the last 10 years - State Champs in Baseball once, boys basketball twice, cheerleaders 4 times, and I think football once). They also have an Academic Wall in the school.
I expect we all have high schools and bands to be proud of. That is where our next leaders are developing.

JB - it just hit me that you could not hear my mind when I saw the video. She was marching so straight and playing so well! What a beautiful smile on that young lady. I am surprised there are any buttons left on your shirt - they must have all popped off with pride. I am quite familiar with the feeling of being a band parent - they work very hard.

Back