City about to get a new Clerk

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
My City is about to get a new Cluck er, ahem, Clerk. The Council went onto Executive Session tonight and I left as usual. Phone rings. The Executive Session was because the current City Clerk has resigned and they wanted to know if I will do it. They have to officially accept her resignation and then appoint me. it has a small salary (tiny) but that is OK.
Timing is excellent! There is a meeting for Clerks and Recorders at the Municipal League Conference on Sunday so I will go to that and learn a bit more of what I will be doing. I was really surprised on that one.

i KNEW IT!
as soon as i read the title of this post, i said 'Kathleen's going to do it!'
*twilight zone music*
congratulations!
thumbs_up.gif

ps get someone else to install peripheral equipment like printers!
wink_smile.gif

i KNEW IT!
as soon as i read the title of this post, i said 'Kathleen's going to do it!'
*twilight zone music*
congratulations!
thumbs_up.gif

ps get someone else to install peripheral equipment like printers!
wink_smile.gif
Gee, I thought the printer and I did a good job on "comic relief". Now you know why I always paid the computer guy extra to come to the house and set it up (and house calls for a sick computer - I was not going to be the one to unplug and replug! I knew better. We all have our areas of excellence and I know where mine is not!)

Today the City Manager sent me an e-mail that the seminar that she was told was Tuesday is actually Thursday - so she asked if I thought we could both risk our marriages by staying one extra night so now we will be gone 5 days. She wanted me to go to this one but we thought I was going to be tied up with Tourism instead. Everything works out.
She has a way of making you feel good. She told me that I was the person she wanted and she had the votes to get me.

Today the City Manager sent me an e-mail that the seminar that she was told was Tuesday is actually Thursday - so she asked if I thought we could both risk our marriages by staying one extra night so now we will be gone 5 days. She wanted me to go to this one but we thought I was going to be tied up with Tourism instead. Everything works out.
She has a way of making you feel good. She told me that I was the person she wanted and she had the votes to get me..
You will do great and you know you will love it.

Thank you, all of you, for your good wishes..
Clerk today, Mayor tomorrow :eek:)
No thank you. When I was on Council the then Mayor would never believe that I did not want to, had no desire to be Mayor. The Mayor had no vote then unless there was a tie. Today, since the Charter change, the Mayor is a Councilman selected by the Council as Mayor from among themselves.
Since that election - which I lost - I have never stopped going to Council meetings, but I have never run for Council because I think I can do more for the City as John Q Public. I am going to have to see how this is going to change that aspect - regarding mouthing off, etc (and I am not referring to in Council meetings). Still do not want to be Mayor.

She has a way of making you feel good. She told me that I was the person she wanted and she had the votes to get me..
You will do great and you know you will love it.
Yes, I do enjoy the action and I just wish more people would come to the Council meetings to understand what it takes - and the issues - faced in running a City and its services.

How are you going to run the b and b and be the clerk at the same time?.
City Clerk is very part-time. I will take the minutes at City Council meetings and workshops (usually 1 each per month) and special meetings and when we hold City elections (every two years - I will be the person in charge). Since I am looking at Council Chambers building as I type and the Admin offices are seen from my kitchen, the commute us done using shank's mare. I will find out more about the job this Sunday at the Clerks and Recorders class at the Municipal League Conference.
Timing is good - the prescription insurance company refuses to pay for the only cholesterol drug DH can take (because it is not a Staten) so we will have to pay the whole thing and this added income will cover it. My corporate pension covered his supplemental and the other prescriptions, coming in just as he signed up for that. This is how National Healthcare will work folks - THEY will decide if you need it, not your doctor. The DOCTOR told them this was the only drug and they still said NO. If he takes a Staten he will have to worry about liver damage - we already went through that - he had to be tested every 3 months and when the liver tests came back elevated, she changed the drug. It is new - no generic yet. It would be cheaper to give him the drug than pay for the liver tests 0 thise they will pay for.

Back