City about to get a new Clerk

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, all of you, for your good wishes..
Clerk today, Mayor tomorrow :eek:)
No thank you. When I was on Council the then Mayor would never believe that I did not want to, had no desire to be Mayor. The Mayor had no vote then unless there was a tie. Today, since the Charter change, the Mayor is a Councilman selected by the Council as Mayor from among themselves.
Since that election - which I lost - I have never stopped going to Council meetings, but I have never run for Council because I think I can do more for the City as John Q Public. I am going to have to see how this is going to change that aspect - regarding mouthing off, etc (and I am not referring to in Council meetings). Still do not want to be Mayor.
gillumhouse said:
I have never stopped going to Council meetings, but I have never run for Council because I think I can do more for the City as John Q Public. I am going to have to see how this is going to change that aspect - regarding mouthing off, etc (and I am not referring to in Council meetings). Still do not want to be Mayor.
This maybe the reason for having you 'on staff'. You know the saying 'Keep your friends close and you enemies closer'. No really, I do not think this is the case with you. By reading your posts, you have done great things for your town and I am sure they are glad to have you. Have a safe and productive trip.

Thank you, all of you, for your good wishes..
Clerk today, Mayor tomorrow :eek:)
No thank you. When I was on Council the then Mayor would never believe that I did not want to, had no desire to be Mayor. The Mayor had no vote then unless there was a tie. Today, since the Charter change, the Mayor is a Councilman selected by the Council as Mayor from among themselves.
Since that election - which I lost - I have never stopped going to Council meetings, but I have never run for Council because I think I can do more for the City as John Q Public. I am going to have to see how this is going to change that aspect - regarding mouthing off, etc (and I am not referring to in Council meetings). Still do not want to be Mayor.
gillumhouse said:
I have never stopped going to Council meetings, but I have never run for Council because I think I can do more for the City as John Q Public. I am going to have to see how this is going to change that aspect - regarding mouthing off, etc (and I am not referring to in Council meetings). Still do not want to be Mayor.
This maybe the reason for having you 'on staff'. You know the saying 'Keep your friends close and you enemies closer'. No really, I do not think this is the case with you. By reading your posts, you have done great things for your town and I am sure they are glad to have you. Have a safe and productive trip.
She told me that in the Exec Session the Mayor had said good things about me and then said - you know Kathleen and I have a history and that she then blurted out, "But Sam, you and I have a history!" About 7 years ago, he and I called a truce (actually I called it) and suggested that we bury the hatchet and not in each other! We have been working together for the city ever since. Monday I get to see one Councilman vote no with me sitting there in front of him. I will be very hard to to say Nya-Nya when I get voted in. I have promised my City Manager to be good - as long as she stays as City Manager.

It is now official by a vote of 4 to 1 that I am City Clerk. A new phase of my involvement with the City.

It is now official by a vote of 4 to 1 that I am City Clerk. A new phase of my involvement with the City..
Congratulations! There are folks here that are trying to get me to run for City Council in a year when our district seat becomes open...uh, no...definitely no time to do all those meetings, etc. with everything else. There are a few advisory boards that I'm interested in though & I was recommended for one that was really not my cup of tea and declined the recommendation. Going before the city tomorrow evening and am waiting to hear about a date in March. It really is becoming too much as we get busier.
sad_smile.gif

My hat's off to you if you can get it all done. My poor husband is already neglected.....

It is now official by a vote of 4 to 1 that I am City Clerk. A new phase of my involvement with the City..
Congratulations! There are folks here that are trying to get me to run for City Council in a year when our district seat becomes open...uh, no...definitely no time to do all those meetings, etc. with everything else. There are a few advisory boards that I'm interested in though & I was recommended for one that was really not my cup of tea and declined the recommendation. Going before the city tomorrow evening and am waiting to hear about a date in March. It really is becoming too much as we get busier.
sad_smile.gif

My hat's off to you if you can get it all done. My poor husband is already neglected.....
Thanks. There are usually just a couple meetings per month although March has a couple extra that are mandated by State law.
I have now been a Councilman, Planning and Building Commissions, Tourist Info Center, and now City Clerk. I have no desire to be on Council again. Being City Clerk ties my tongue more than I like, but it is nice to have someone say - I need you. She said that because I am computer literate (using, not equipment), can put a sentence together and can spell, and most important, she can trust me.

sad_smile.gif

Thanks. There are usually just a couple meetings per month although March has a couple extra that are mandated by State law.
I have now been a Councilman, Planning and Building Commissions, Tourist Info Center, and now City Clerk. I have no desire to be on Council again. Being City Clerk ties my tongue more than I like, but it is nice to have someone say - I need you. She said that because I am computer literate (using, not equipment), can put a sentence together and can spell, and most important, she can trust me.
My city's a little bit bigger than yours
wink_smile.gif
Council meets twice a month here too (it is also all televised ad nauseum on public access), but there are all kinds of other things attached to that, as you know. Soirees, public appearances, ribbon cuttings, and on & on. Hard to manage when you have a growing business but can't afford paid staff! Our local tourist info center (convention and visitor's bureau) has at least a dozen paid employees. All the advisory board members here are recommended to a Councilor, who then decides if they should recommend to the entire Council to be approved and appointed. Quite a bit of who you know and longevity of residency here, as opposed to what you know . I am actually interested in getting more involved and learning more about fostering smart growth initiatives and the land bank to help figure out ways to re-develop vacant land and properties. We have an Assistant City Manager who's pretty savvy about this but the Mayor and City Manager need quite a bit more education.

sad_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
Council meets twice a month here too (it is also all televised ad nauseum on public access), but there are all kinds of other things attached to that, as you know. Soirees, public appearances, ribbon cuttings, and on & on. Hard to manage when you have a growing business but can't afford paid staff! Our local tourist info center (convention and visitor's bureau) has at least a dozen paid employees. All the advisory board members here are recommended to a Councilor, who then decides if they should recommend to the entire Council to be approved and appointed. Quite a bit of who you know and longevity of residency here, as opposed to what you know . I am actually interested in getting more involved and learning more about fostering smart growth initiatives and the land bank to help figure out ways to re-develop vacant land and properties. We have an Assistant City Manager who's pretty savvy about this but the Mayor and City Manager need quite a bit more education.

sad_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
We have a pop of about 2500. We were a Blueprint Community - training for community leadership and as far as we know the only ones continuing to meet, meet goals, and set new ones. The ordinance is being drawn up to make the Blueprint Team the official Economic Development arm of the City. We were named On Trac in the announcement by Gov Mo Joe at the Mansion Wednesday. On Trac is a WV created program that is a precursor to Main Street - our State realized many communities cannot afford a full-time Director as Main Street requires but is ready for everything else. You have to be On Trac at least 2 years before qualifying for Main Street, but can stay On Trac longer if necessary. Our Council has grown into their roles for the most part and have progressed to seeing the value of sending our City Manager to Conferences and Seminars. Our City is being recognized as one that is "on the move". It is exciting to be part of it as most of this movement has taken place since I came to town.

sad_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
We have a pop of about 2500. We were a Blueprint Community - training for community leadership and as far as we know the only ones continuing to meet, meet goals, and set new ones. The ordinance is being drawn up to make the Blueprint Team the official Economic Development arm of the City. We were named On Trac in the announcement by Gov Mo Joe at the Mansion Wednesday. On Trac is a WV created program that is a precursor to Main Street - our State realized many communities cannot afford a full-time Director as Main Street requires but is ready for everything else. You have to be On Trac at least 2 years before qualifying for Main Street, but can stay On Trac longer if necessary. Our Council has grown into their roles for the most part and have progressed to seeing the value of sending our City Manager to Conferences and Seminars. Our City is being recognized as one that is "on the move". It is exciting to be part of it as most of this movement has taken place since I came to town.
We are about 200K, plus a large military installation nearby...just a bit larger than where you are :)
Quite a bit smaller than the 1M population of the last place we lived. I know that city a whole lot better though.....

Back