City leaves B&B owners in lurch for Olympics

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good Joe for bringing this article to this forum for Aspiring to read. We keep pounding it in the importance of making sure ALL permits are in place before opening. Yes, this sounds like the city is pushing this at a very dificult time BUT if they had a license, there would be nothing to fret over.
The innkeeper was quoted to say they have "operated for 10 years without any complaints from the city, and she insists the city has told her multiple times that a business licence isn't required for a B&B with three rooms."
Aspiring if you are told anything like this - GET IT IN WRITING on OFFICIAL LETTERHEAD and keep it just like you would your business license.

that is disgraceful! telling people repeatedly you are all set, you don't need a permit and then slamming them this way. would it help at all to have a letter from the city?

that is disgraceful! telling people repeatedly you are all set, you don't need a permit and then slamming them this way. would it help at all to have a letter from the city?.
We recieved a letter in writing from both the town & fire department stating we have met the criteria for a B&B.(health dept was not required in our area) I have been around long enough to know if it is not in writing, it has no weight. If you can not get something in writing, or if the dept in question is lax in paperwork, a dated follow up letter to the those involved stating your understanding of the conservation/regulations will give you a tremendous advantage if there becomes a time that the legality of the B&B is questioned.
Bill

and don't forget liability insurance - I am sure they would require proof that you are licenses and approved to operate.

It's interesting when you look at the web site and see all the letters, news articles, etc. that they have. I don't know the licensing requirements for Richmond - I see they are approved by Tourism BC who ask for a business licence as part of the approval process IF one is required. The cynical me wonders who is paying who because it makes no sense to deny accommodation owners business prior to the Olympics UNLESS business is not as expected for hotels, etc.....?????
Here's their web site with Awards page first.
http://www.thestonehedge.com/awards.html

As I read the article, it's not the license that's the problem, it's the zoning. Separate issues, probably separate departments.
Someone is Zoning's going to be having a rough couple of months after this...
=)
Kk.

As I read the article, it's not the license that's the problem, it's the zoning. Separate issues, probably separate departments.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
wrong thread but you are here so you will read this your weberv is down too, I had to test one I knew had weberv 325pm 10.02.09

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
wrong thread but you are here so you will read this your weberv is down too, I had to test one I knew had weberv 325pm 10.02.09
Jo Bloggs said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Thank you!
You're right... I'm not reading all the threads but I tend to pop back on ones that I've commented on.
Now I guess I'd better go read the other one and see what's up.
=(
Kk.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Jo Bloggs said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Thank you!
You're right... I'm not reading all the threads but I tend to pop back on ones that I've commented on.
Now I guess I'd better go read the other one and see what's up.
=(
Kk.
If they do have a business licence then they have an out with the city over the zoning issue. By rights they should be granted the zoning as the city has already sanctioned their operation.

Back