Civil Litigation Lawyers for Vaction Rental

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analulima

Reaction score
I have a vacation rental business and a client that stayed at one of my properties asked for the money back to her credit card - even though they stayed the full period booked online. My merchant sent the cash back without listening to my side of the story and they don't help me at all when I call them trying to reopen the dispute. Is it possible to indicate me a list of Civil Litigation Lawyers who work in the New York area ofr this case?

Indeed, the charge card companies generally do NOT get involved in disputes. They go with their client, the one who holds their card and sends them money each month, will issue a "charge back", and will tell you, if you don't like it, take the client to court. This is normal practice. Good luck!

Did you have the guests sign any documentation or sign the CC slip?
I'm always surprised at how many people have never read the instructions on their merchant agreement and don't have the proper record. There is a real reason why you want to process a part of the charge with card-in-hand and this is one of them. It proves that the card was physically there (assuming you are using the chip) and the signatures match (which is why you are supposed to check signatures.
It's so much harder for a guest to do a chargeback if the card was read by your card reader, even if just for PART of the charge.
From my understanding, your best bet at this point is likely going to be small claims court. They usually won't show up, you get a judgement in default and you can hire a bailiff to collect your money.

I'm always surprised at how many people have never read the instructions on their merchant agreement and don't have the proper record. There is a real reason why you want to process a part of the charge with card-in-hand and this is one of them. It proves that the card was physically there (assuming you are using the chip) and the signatures match (which is why you are supposed to check signatures.
It's so much harder for a guest to do a chargeback if the card was read by your card reader, even if just for PART of the charge.
From my understanding, your best bet at this point is likely going to be small claims court. They usually won't show up, you get a judgement in default and you can hire a bailiff to collect your money..
he's a vacation rental - unlikely he was ever that close to the client. Its why a lot near me only take electronic transfer for fees - no possibility of charge back - done

From my understanding, your best bet at this point is likely going to be small claims court. They usually won't show up, you get a judgement in default and you can hire a bailiff to collect your money..
he's a vacation rental - unlikely he was ever that close to the client. Its why a lot near me only take electronic transfer for fees - no possibility of charge back - done
You take your chances... you have to expect to lose some.

hmmm, never thought of that.
We have inherited a house we will likely live in one day, but in the meantime, my DH wants to try short term rental, since our others have done so well. I have tried to tell him it is NOT in a tourist attracting area, is 35 miles away, and there is just no way I can clean that one too between rentals. We have compromised on a one week minimum and I will try and find a local cleaner. As far as payment, you may have just supplied the best answer.
Still considering,
:)

Was there a reason given as to why they asked for a refund ? Have you met these guests ? Or did you simply process the charge with a credit card number that they gave you ? Are you sure they were really the cardholder ? Have you contacted the guests and ask why ? My guess is that they used a fake card, and it is the real cardholder who requested a refund as "we never stayed there!"

That method works OK in the UK for UK residents, but is hard for foreign travelers. We stayed in a nice flat in Edinburgh in June -- it took massive effort to do the wire transfer from a US bank using a tiny phone screen and there were additional charges for the service. I probably wouldn't do it again.

Back