Civility

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
How about this: 'I tried to make a reservation here but we never got our confirmation, I hope you have a room for us.' vs 'We tried to make a reservation but your system is broken.'
Or, 'I made a mistake on my reservation, I picked the wrong date, can you change it to Sunday instead of Monday?' vs 'I made a reservation and as soon as I hit 'enter' it changed the date on me. Fix it.'
Case A: the confirmation was sent an hour after they booked the room. Deposit taken. If they didn't get it, why not try an email or a phone call instead of the attitude at the door?
Case B: Sorry, no matter how hard you try you cannot enter one date and have the rez system move you to a different date by hitting enter.
Civility in action: guests this morning realized they had not set their watches to Canadian time for their departure today. Realized at 6 AM that it was 7 AM at home and they were going to miss their flight (departing from NB). They apologized up and down, sorry they would miss breakfast, everything was lovely, gotta go! Much better than just leaving with no information.
Guy whose kids smeared jam all over the white bedspreads owned up to it and offered to pay, just let him know how much I was going to charge his card for.
Guest needed a work surface for a project and asked if it was ok to move the desk in her room to a different location.

Madeleine said:
...they had not set their watches to Canadian time for their departure today. Realized at 6 AM that it was 7 AM at home....
Okay, that's a first for me. Never heard it called "Canadian Time" before.
People forget to be civil sometimes. I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who wishes the UPS man to have a great day.

Atlantic Time. I just call it Canadian Time because I can never remember if it's Maritime Time or Atlantic Time.

Atlantic Time. I just call it Canadian Time because I can never remember if it's Maritime Time or Atlantic Time..
That's because they are trying to confuse you. It's called Atlantic time, but it applies only to the Maritimes.
Atlantic Provinces includes Newfoundland and Labrador (that's the name of one province, not two). But the Maritime Provinces do not include Newfoundland and Labrador. So basically there are three provinces in the Maritimes, but four in the Atlantic provinces, with the difference being Newfoundland and Labrador.
But time-zone wise, the Atlantic time zone includes only the Maritime Provinces, because Newfoundland and Labrador have their own time zone. Which gets even more confusing, because parts of Labrador don't follow Newfoundland time (which is half an hour earlier than Atlantic time.)
Atlantic time is also shared with a few Caribbean islands, San Juan PR, Trinidad, Dominican Republic, Barbados, Bermuda except that San Juan, Trinidad, Barbados and the Dominican Republic all don't do Daylight Savings Time, just too confuse us all.
Many provinces have two time zones. Parts of Quebec east of the 63rd parallel use AST with no DST including the Magdalen Islands. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UTC_hue4map_CAN-en.PNG if you want to be more confused.

Atlantic Time. I just call it Canadian Time because I can never remember if it's Maritime Time or Atlantic Time..
That's because they are trying to confuse you. It's called Atlantic time, but it applies only to the Maritimes.
Atlantic Provinces includes Newfoundland and Labrador (that's the name of one province, not two). But the Maritime Provinces do not include Newfoundland and Labrador. So basically there are three provinces in the Maritimes, but four in the Atlantic provinces, with the difference being Newfoundland and Labrador.
But time-zone wise, the Atlantic time zone includes only the Maritime Provinces, because Newfoundland and Labrador have their own time zone. Which gets even more confusing, because parts of Labrador don't follow Newfoundland time (which is half an hour earlier than Atlantic time.)
Atlantic time is also shared with a few Caribbean islands, San Juan PR, Trinidad, Dominican Republic, Barbados, Bermuda except that San Juan, Trinidad, Barbados and the Dominican Republic all don't do Daylight Savings Time, just too confuse us all.
Many provinces have two time zones. Parts of Quebec east of the 63rd parallel use AST with no DST including the Magdalen Islands. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UTC_hue4map_CAN-en.PNG if you want to be more confused.
When I go to NB this winter, I'll try to remember it's an hour later than I think it is. Altho, I'll be on vacation time so I won't care! (I'm finally being shown the ancestral home after 20 years.)

im on a grouch already and its only 9am here - came back from IKEA - mum was sittiing in to a strange car in the car park and mum hadn't picked anyone up
Chamber maid shouts down there is someone parking badly in the car park - so I dash out (this is the next day) same ruddy car luckily with driver in it as didn't catch them last night - I said excuse me you are not one of my guests why are you parking in my car park which is clearly signposed as private parking for camberley guests?
"oh I am visiting my friend" - like this makes it ok? - said I am sorry but my car park is for my guests who pay for the privalidge - there is plently of free parking all around.

Back