Cleaning out the fridge

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
This is not the first time we’ve had someone call (or just show up) to collect whatever they left in the fridge. They think it’s ok to leave food in the fridge after check out that they’ll just pick up later in the day on their way home.

We do ask guests to label the bags and boxes so we know who things belong to. But on a day when everyone has checked out, the fridge gets totally purged. (And we do a little happy dance when there’s a six pack of local brewery beer left behind!)

Guests should realize we DO clean the fridge and if they want to leave things so they don’t sit in the hot car all day they should let us know. Having someone wail on the phone about how expensive that dinner was is not the way I want their stay to end.

They are sweating the small stuff. Don’t buy in. You did nothing wrong.
My current attitude....oh well.....
So many difficulties in the world and our lives that a misunderstanding over someone’s leftovers is easily dismissed.

This is not the first time we’ve had someone call (or just show up) to collect whatever they left in the fridge........ if they want to leave things so they don’t sit in the hot car all day they should let us know..

Wow. Surely they know we have enhanced and thorough cleaning requirements at this time. Keeping fridge contents is a big no. But then, we a r e Americans, and the rules don't apply to us, indivually. ;)

Sorry you got these folks. So far, only one person has phoned here to let me know fridge contents were left. She was just letting me know in case I missed what they left. She didn't expect to retrieve the leftovers.

Actually, no one seems to know we’re doing extra cleaning. Or that the extra costs money. It is in our COVID documentation, but given the people who are still calling saying they didn’t know anything about restrictions I’d say no one is bothering to read it.

I clean out the guest fridge also. I do not want the next guests to think I have not cleaned. If they drove away, what is left behind is history (unless it is clothing or pillows (left most) and then THEY have to request its return).

I clean out the guest fridge also. I do not want the next guests to think I have not cleaned. If they drove away, what is left behind is history (unless it is clothing or pillows (left most) and then THEY have to request its return).
I've learned the hard way as well. I used to automatically mail back to them whatever they left behind (not food) and more often than not, I wouldn't even get a thank you, let alone a reimbursement. So now, unless they call, it goes in a closet. I do try to check the rooms real fast as guests leave, in case there is time for them to drive back before they have gone too far. Let's just say my closet is pretty full.

I've turned mailing back left-behind items into a nice little side business. ("$15 for shipping and handling.")
If a few more people leave behind their belongings, I may have to make it a separate line on my P&L.

I've turned mailing back left-behind items into a nice little side business. ("$15 for shipping and handling.")
If a few more people leave behind their belongings, I may have to make it a separate line on my P&L.

I need to do that. I generally box it up, mail it, then add a couple of dollars to the postage cost and charge it to the card they used to book the room. But the other day when I tried a card for postage, it had insufficient funds...for a $9 charge!

By making them all $15, I could charge the card before I mail it, and not have to worry about the card not working after I've spent postage money.

EDIT TO ADD: Just added it to my website policies page. Should have solved this recurring little problem years ago!

Last edited:
The other option for folks is to use the USPS.gov Click-And-Ship page, get to the point right before you get charged for the postage, and then try and charge the customer's charge before you click "Charge me and print label."

We do all ours Click-And-Ship so we don't have to wait in line at the post office. Just drop it and go.

I have a 5-pound kitchen scale I bought several years ago for 19 bucks. I've found the post office isn't too critical if you're off by a few ounces.

Agree, all food items left behind will go into the trash immediately, unless they are originally sealed. And yes, we've had guest come back because they forgot their left overs, and unfortunately they were already tossed. Not happy, but not our fault.

In regards to shipping for left behind belongings, small items we mail for free as a courtesy, eg a phone charger. But when they leave behind their favorite (and heavy) memory foam pillow or a closet full of clothes then we ship it via UPS and they charge the guests' credit card. I have a form I fill out and I just drop it off at our local UPS store together with the packaged items.

I used to box up people's stuff and mail it and hope that they would send me the postage, a real hassle since I live 30 minutes from the nearest Post Office. For the past ten years, I have been telling them that I will be glad to send their forgotten item, just mail me a prepaid postage box or bag. I pop their item in their prepaid box and drop it in the mailbox when I go out. This way it is all on them to provide packaging and postage. In most cases they don't bother, so I assume it wasn't that important after all. It is only important when someone else does all the packaging, paying and running around.

Back