Cleaning rooms while guests are at breakfast-opinions?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what time does your housekeeper arrive? our housekeeper is here from 11am -3 pm..
mollysmom said:
what time does your housekeeper arrive? our housekeeper is here from 11am -3 pm.
9:30. I want the rooms done before 1 PM, when most of the guests start arriving. Also, if she needs help, I don't want to be starting cleaning so late. The majority of our guests are gone by 9:30-10. What happens, tho, is that if they are going to be leaving 'on time' ALL the rooms will do that for some reason!
Right now everyone is gone. So it's ok today. But I was wondering about other mornings.
Do all the other B&Bs in your area as a standard policy allow that early of a check-in?
Most of our guests come to breakfast before showering, packing their gear for the day, etc.. it would be counterproductive to go in and fluff a room that fiftenn minutes later is going to get messed up again after breakfast.
I would perceive the housekeeper being in my room that early as trying to rush things.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Do all the other B&Bs in your area as a standard policy allow that early of a check-in?
Most of our guests come to breakfast before showering, packing their gear for the day, etc.. it would be counterproductive to go in and fluff a room that fiftenn minutes later is going to get messed up again after breakfast.
I would perceive the housekeeper being in my room that early as trying to rush things.
Yes, all of the other B&B's allow early check-in. I think we were the only ones hewing to the 3 PM check-in time. Most days I see guests checking in before noon. (I'm VERY centrally located in the 'B&B' part of town!)
I've had my room made up while I was at breakfast and it didn't really bother me, just that it made it hard for the housekeeper with all my stuff around.
Bree said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Yes, all of the other B&B's allow early check-in. I think we were the only ones hewing to the 3 PM check-in time. Most days I see guests checking in before noon. (I'm VERY centrally located in the 'B&B' part of town!)
I've had my room made up while I was at breakfast and it didn't really bother me, just that it made it hard for the housekeeper with all my stuff around.
We allow early check-in if the rooms are ready or by prior arrangement. Otherwise we adhere to the 3 p.m. rule. It makes it harder on the innkeeper otherwise. Besides, most hotels don't allow checkin at noon. Why should we be any different? Store their luggage until 3 pm.? Sure no problem.
I once stayed at a very well-known and prestigious B&B in San Diego. They solved the problem by simply locking the front door. When I knocked, I was informed that the room would be ready at 3 PM.
Sounds like the perfect solution to me. If check in is at 3 PM..then that is when I show up.
I would like to know what part of Check in at 3 pm. No early arrivals which is confirmed to guest...do they not understand???
You are lucky they answerd the door. I would not have. We have long encouraged folks here to stick to their guns about taking early walk ins. Do whatever it takes. Put out a sign, keep the door locked..whatever.
If you want to accept them ....fine...do it...but if is not what you want, don't let them get to you.
tounge_smile.gif

"I would like to know what part of Check in at 3 pm. No early arrivals which is confirmed to guest...do they not understand???"
That seems to be the $64,000 question for many of us and in a few threads here.

what time does your housekeeper arrive? our housekeeper is here from 11am -3 pm..
mollysmom said:
what time does your housekeeper arrive? our housekeeper is here from 11am -3 pm.
9:30. I want the rooms done before 1 PM, when most of the guests start arriving. Also, if she needs help, I don't want to be starting cleaning so late. The majority of our guests are gone by 9:30-10. What happens, tho, is that if they are going to be leaving 'on time' ALL the rooms will do that for some reason!
Right now everyone is gone. So it's ok today. But I was wondering about other mornings.
Bree,
We have our housekeepers here from 9:30-about noon or 1 pm every day and it works out ok for us, even without them going into stay-over rooms while the guests are still here. I think as your housekeeper gets more familiar with everything she will be able to find things to keep her busy if she has to wait for folks.

As a guest: Most of the time I will leave things about during my breakfast time and would not be prepared for the early fluff. If you made it well known that your fluff would be done during breakfast hours then I would have no problem. Would make sure my bed was clear and all personal things put up.
As an Innkeeper, I have seen many who leave the breakfast table to run up stairs - for many reasons I am sure. If it was a personal need, I am sure they would have been startled and not happy if someone was in there cleaning. Some leave after breakfast and some stick around for what seems like forever when I am wanting to fluff. Also, if there were personal items left on the bed, I do not like to touch any. I have in my room book to remove personal items from the bed prior to leaving. Some people (once as I mentioned this on another tread) have left too personal of items
omg_smile.gif
on the bed when they expected me to clean...just think what may be out in the open if they did not expect you (or housekeeper) to be cleaning. I have NO desire to see this stuff as I am sure you do not either!!! And I definintely am not going to move it off the bed to do a fluff...
I do like how Seashanty did it and would think that would work out for both parties. Maybe add it at checkin but things do change from day to day for the guest and for your housekeeper, so maybe asking as they enter for breakfast and jotting down the 'ok' rooms for the housekeeper may work.

I always wait until the guests are finished breakfast and are off for the day, unless they are really lingering around. Then I ask if they mind if I quickly fluff their room while they relax. It doesn't happen very often but sometimes I'll get guests who comes down in their robes at the last possible moment, eat breakfast and then read the entire Sunday paper while I am twiddling my thumbs waiting to clean their room. Whenever I've had to ask, they've never minded. I do hate cleaning their rooms though when they are still in them, just hanging around working on their computers. But I think that has already been discussed in another thread.

Bree said:
So, now that I have a housekeeper, I have a question...on mornings when many are staying over and no one has checked out and everyone is still eating and all the odd jobs are done, would you say it's ok or not for her to fluff the rooms of guests who are staying over who are just sitting down to eat?
We stayed at a B&B in Middleburg for a getaway and she had help that fluffed our room while we were eating breakfast. I thought it was nice, and clever too. They knew where we were and that we would not suprise them at work.
Riki

Well, today's guests just informed me they are not budging until afternoon. So, now I have the housekeeper doing nothing at all. I won't send her into the room to clean while they are in it and they are not even having brekkie.

I also think asking would be the way to go. I have actually seen a TA review where the guest was happy that the room was fluffed while s/he was at breakfast, so that they came back to a room ready for the day. I also know another innkeeper who would strip the sheets while the guests (checkouts) were at breakfast - that did not make the guests happy campers at all! So there is a fine line to walk there.
Maybe add a note to your check-in routine? Our housekeeper may be able to refresh your room during breakfast tomorrow morning - would that be alright or would you prefer we wait until you are out for the day? Maybe use the do not disturb sign during breakfast if you don't want service then?
On mornings when we can handle breakfast on our own, I have my housekeeper come in later - like 10:00 or so - because more people are out and about by then. I have a better situation for early check-ins than you do, though - downstairs powder room available - so it doesn't bother me if the rooms aren't flipped until 3:00..
muirford said:
I also think asking would be the way to go. I have actually seen a TA review where the guest was happy that the room was fluffed while s/he was at breakfast, so that they came back to a room ready for the day. I
Yes, for the inn we were staying in, they only did it for the "fluff". The bed was made, the towels hung up, soaps checked. This was easliy done before we finished breakfast. I'm sure if stuff was all over the bed they would have left the room to fluff later. But this way, if they could do the complete fluff, it was done and on to other things. If someone wants to get frisky, they could mess up the bed anytime, morning or afternoon, and it's their room and bed to do so.
RIki

I agree. Give her the day off. But what do you do then? Do you hang around or do you feel like you can run errands and take care of their room whenever you get to it, later in the day?

I agree. Give her the day off. But what do you do then? Do you hang around or do you feel like you can run errands and take care of their room whenever you get to it, later in the day?.
Country Girl said:
I agree. Give her the day off. But what do you do then? Do you hang around or do you feel like you can run errands and take care of their room whenever you get to it, later in the day?
If they don't leave early enough, the room will remain as it is. I have other things to do today.

I state that rooms are tidied between 10 and 12 only so if guests are not out by noon I generally will not tidy their room. Different with a housekeeper but I would still put a time for cleaning.

The problem if you give the housekeeper the day off, she won't get paid and might really need the $. In your town I would think there would be plenty of places for her to go and find another job and I think I remember you stated she's doing a good job so I'm sure you don't want to loose her!
I must be the exception, I put things away or straighten them up on shelves when I use them when I'm on vacation so I don't leave stuff all over that I wouldn't want the housekeeper to see or for her to think I'm a slob, and I get up early enough so that I'm showered and dressed to go to breakfast, so personally I say go ahead and fluff the room while I'm at breakfast, I don't mind!
teeth_smile.gif

Just a few questions: Does she have to be at work as early as she is? Could she come in at 10 or so? Can she start with the flips and leave the fluffs til later?
Our housekeeper comes in and starts in on dishes if we're backed up in the kitchen just until some of the guests have made their day plans known. Then she gets to work on fluffs/flips/whoever has left the inn first, no matter what their room needs

Just a few questions: Does she have to be at work as early as she is? Could she come in at 10 or so? Can she start with the flips and leave the fluffs til later?
Our housekeeper comes in and starts in on dishes if we're backed up in the kitchen just until some of the guests have made their day plans known. Then she gets to work on fluffs/flips/whoever has left the inn first, no matter what their room needs.
penelope said:
Our housekeeper comes in and starts in on dishes if we're backed up in the kitchen just until some of the guests have made their day plans known. Then she gets to work on fluffs/flips/whoever has left the inn first, no matter what their room needs
She would like to be here earlier so she could get a second job. So, we've compromised on 9:30. Starting at 10 she wouldn't be done until 2 or later. I want her done and gone by 1 in case there are things I need to do once she leaves. (Like on a full bed strip, the quilts need time to wash and dry and be back on the beds by 3.)
Yes, she would do strips first, this scenario is one that happens somewhat regularly, tho, no one leaves the dining room! They linger and chat so she can't do the strips because they're leaving and she can't do the fluffs because they're staying!
And no one goes into hubs's kitchen! There's just not room for one thing and he likes it done his way for another.
I liked SS's idea of just asking if anyone minds. Should I find myself in this predicky again sometime, that's what I'll do.
As for yesterday, I have friends whose homes need cleaning and they love her. I have found they'll take her at the last minute so I just started calling around. Voila! She gets paid, friend's get clean houses, everyone's happy.

The problem if you give the housekeeper the day off, she won't get paid and might really need the $. In your town I would think there would be plenty of places for her to go and find another job and I think I remember you stated she's doing a good job so I'm sure you don't want to loose her!
I must be the exception, I put things away or straighten them up on shelves when I use them when I'm on vacation so I don't leave stuff all over that I wouldn't want the housekeeper to see or for her to think I'm a slob, and I get up early enough so that I'm showered and dressed to go to breakfast, so personally I say go ahead and fluff the room while I'm at breakfast, I don't mind!
teeth_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
teeth_smile.gif
You are a perfect guest.......come visit us anytime.
teeth_smile.gif

Our housekeeper comes in and starts in on dishes if we're backed up in the kitchen just until some of the guests have made their day plans known. Then she gets to work on fluffs/flips/whoever has left the inn first, no matter what their room needs.
penelope said:
She would like to be here earlier so she could get a second job. So, we've compromised on 9:30. Starting at 10 she wouldn't be done until 2 or later. I want her done and gone by 1 in case there are things I need to do once she leaves. (Like on a full bed strip, the quilts need time to wash and dry and be back on the beds by 3.)
Yes, she would do strips first, this scenario is one that happens somewhat regularly, tho, no one leaves the dining room! They linger and chat so she can't do the strips because they're leaving and she can't do the fluffs because they're staying!
And no one goes into hubs's kitchen! There's just not room for one thing and he likes it done his way for another.
I liked SS's idea of just asking if anyone minds. Should I find myself in this predicky again sometime, that's what I'll do.
As for yesterday, I have friends whose homes need cleaning and they love her. I have found they'll take her at the last minute so I just started calling around. Voila! She gets paid, friend's get clean houses, everyone's happy.
Bree said:
I have friends whose homes need cleaning
Send her my way...think she'd like the midwest???? :)

Well, today's guests just informed me they are not budging until afternoon. So, now I have the housekeeper doing nothing at all. I won't send her into the room to clean while they are in it and they are not even having brekkie..
Late to this discussion....
Absolutely not! As a guest, I would feel totally rushed! I mean, I come downstairs for a nice breakfast & someone whips in there to refresh my room? It's like the housekeeping lurker! Everything else the others have said rings true about guests popping back in the room for a shower or re-arranging their things to neaten and put away before they head out for the day.
The gal that I have helping me now shows up around 9:30 on the days she works. I have her work on the kitchen, sweep porches, take out trash, do things like that which won't disturb the guests in the dining room. She can fold laundry or do a little bit of ironing before we hit the rooms. If the guests are in their rooms & we can't get to them, she will start dusting the common areas or something & then zip out of sight if someone appears. I don't even have her vacuum the common areas when guests are around unless it is totally avoidable. I tell the guests that we re-fresh their rooms between 10am & 2 pm.
I'm like Seashanty...I like for these things to be almost "invisible" to the guest. It's like it just happens.....
regular_smile.gif

The same is true about being invisible when you are in the kitchen and guests at the table, it is not "fun" to listen to someone scrubbing dishes or clinking around in the kitchen. It ruins the mood at the table(s). Sure we would love to have it all ship shape and bob's your uncle before they are done, but it is the way it is. Welcome back! Haven't seen you on the forum for a while.

The same is true about being invisible when you are in the kitchen and guests at the table, it is not "fun" to listen to someone scrubbing dishes or clinking around in the kitchen. It ruins the mood at the table(s). Sure we would love to have it all ship shape and bob's your uncle before they are done, but it is the way it is. Welcome back! Haven't seen you on the forum for a while..
Thanks!
I agree about the kitchen. I am always getting after my dh for running the disposal when he is working in the kitchen while guests are still at the table. Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh! Surprisingly, it is not that noisy but if I can hear it in thedining room, I figure that the guests can also.

Back