Clening or changing comforters or bedspreads/

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee C.

Reaction score
I have two to three comforter or bedspreads sets fo reach of my four rooms. Some are washable, a couple are dry-clean only. (my mistake.) How often in between seasonal changes do you wash or clean your outer bedding? What about decorative pillowshams and pillows?

You are lucky to have so many! I have one set per room and a lone backup that would have to suffice in an emergency in any room. (NOT a good plan.)
As to the washables (quilts, blankets, pillow shams, mattress pads)- every other week in peak season. Once/month off season.

We have duvets ie in Duvet covers so don't need washing but if they get a mark on etc I sometimes wash them but frankly it costs about the same as buying a new one so its depends how i feel. We have colourful blankets we put on and i keep an eye on them for marks and wash as and when but I am gradually replacing them with runners as they are a pig to wash and dry and are mainly for display purposes anyway. That reminds me though I could do with a few new pillows.

I don't have a hard and fast rule about when, since it sometimes depends on traffic. Basically if I have a light wash day, it's a good day to do it. We wash shams much more often then comforters. And I keep a few duvet covers (which are more popular in Canada and the UK) just in case I need them.
As for dry clean only... I just don't care, I wash them. I have a few and I wash them anyway. If it really needs to be dry cleaned, then well, it ends up in shreds and is replaced. I like to keep one full unused set in the basement in case of emergency. Washed before use, of course, since many items now are coated with formaldehyde.

I don't have a hard and fast rule about when, since it sometimes depends on traffic. Basically if I have a light wash day, it's a good day to do it. We wash shams much more often then comforters. And I keep a few duvet covers (which are more popular in Canada and the UK) just in case I need them.
As for dry clean only... I just don't care, I wash them. I have a few and I wash them anyway. If it really needs to be dry cleaned, then well, it ends up in shreds and is replaced. I like to keep one full unused set in the basement in case of emergency. Washed before use, of course, since many items now are coated with formaldehyde..
im with you on this I do the dry clean only ones in the machine as well just on a gentle wash and they have all come out fine. I think they put dry clean only on things just in case.

It depended on length of stay and if the comforters/quilts got soiled. Many times I washed the quilts and shams after each guest.
I had two sets in our main house for each room and the second house had more than two sets for each room and for the most part, those rooms were interchangeable since the color schemes were the same. (That's an advantage right there in doing that!)
I had to take the King size comforters to the commercial laundromat because they just didn't fit in either of my washers here. But I always had an extra matelasse cover in the King.

Back