Closed Doors Phenomena

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
You all know me, after honeymooners from Alaska used all our guest rooms - silly me thinking they would be content to consummate in their own room on their honeymoon, I keep them all closed and locked.
Well today, I left the keys in the other rooms for check ins later today and I am here on the forum and hear people tromping around in the other rooms, one being above my head here, I stopped typing to see if I hear a 1) bed squeak, or 2) toilet flush.
Now I need to go up and make sure lights are off and doors are shut. I am so NOT into allowing people to wander around into other rooms...so NOT!

JB,
I like to give people a little tour of any unoccupied rooms when they check in to try to curtail any peekers later. I do that because I like to see other rooms if I can when I am a guest somewhere.

JB,
I like to give people a little tour of any unoccupied rooms when they check in to try to curtail any peekers later. I do that because I like to see other rooms if I can when I am a guest somewhere..
That's what I do as well. Show them what I can quickly on the greeting tour, then lock the door behind me as they exit:) Curiosity satisfied...but in Jb's case..they actually "used" the other bathroom...how tacky can you get????? GRRRRRR.

I always tell my checkins to feel free to wander around and check out vacant rooms. Have not had a problem with them using beds or bathrooms. Anything I find in vacant rooms when "iceing" for arrivals is usually something I missed last time I cleaned it!

Oh yeah well I found an old guy using another bathroom (TOILET) once. AND on one other occasion someone using another guest room shower. I said "Why are you doing this? This is not your room!" His answer "My wife didn't want me in our bathroom"
So there have actually been three instances that have forced this policy here. Three instances are enough for me to keep the other rooms locked. It is what it is. A policy I won't change here for nuttin'. Guests can view other guest rooms if they ask or I am with them and they suggest it, sure thing, not a problem. I am more than happy to explain why I keep them locked too. Guests love those type stories!
Funny to me was I went up to freshen and THEIR ROOM is locked and there is no one else in the house. hm.

I can see wandering in if the doors are open, but doors that are closed? Heck, every little kid knows you don't go in when the door is closed!

Oh yeah well I found an old guy using another bathroom (TOILET) once. AND on one other occasion someone using another guest room shower. I said "Why are you doing this? This is not your room!" His answer "My wife didn't want me in our bathroom"
So there have actually been three instances that have forced this policy here. Three instances are enough for me to keep the other rooms locked. It is what it is. A policy I won't change here for nuttin'. Guests can view other guest rooms if they ask or I am with them and they suggest it, sure thing, not a problem. I am more than happy to explain why I keep them locked too. Guests love those type stories!
Funny to me was I went up to freshen and THEIR ROOM is locked and there is no one else in the house. hm..
Well, you know this year was the last straw for us in re the detached bath. Absolutely HAD to get a lock, and use it all the time, after what? 5-6 guests were found to have used that bathroom for whatever lame reason even with the door closed and a honking big PRIVATE sign on there. And that was just JULY!
I will say that guests really seem to be liking the 'you have the key' when I show them the room.
We close the doors but only lock them on occasion. Bad mistake. Guests won't even walk upstairs to use their own bathroom if they think they can just run into a room on the first floor. And that happened too many times this summer as well.

Back