Closets?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTLLodge

Reaction score
Does all of your rooms have a closet? If not what do you have for the guest to hang their clothes?

We have two rooms without closets, and in each we have a wall hanging with posts for hangers plus a dresser.

All my rooms have closets. We took out the wall that made the closets for what was my storage room and my "big" room to form the passage for the new bathroom (it took half my storage room to create the bathroom) and the space between the 2 fireplaces became the closet and on the other side are the robes and extra towels. The original closets were wide and maybe 6 or 8 inches deep. Only one room had a normak size closet. The third guestroom also has the wide but not deep closet so DH rigged dowel rods for the hangers (3 in the closet) so when you open the closet the "front" of your dress would be facing you instead of the sleeve.
Closets were either tiny or non-existent because if they were too big, they were taxed as another room. Some inns have an armoire instead of a closet.

We only have 2 rooms with a closet. We'll have a third room with a closet this year. Otherwise, the rooms have a 'wall valet.' It's a nice, solid, wooden shelf with a hanging bar underneath. Hotels generally have the same thing in metal.

Only one room doesn't have a closet and there is an armoire in there. The living room of one of our 2 room suites doesn't have a closet & I have a decorative hook thing in there which will hold several items. But when that room is in use, they seem to leave their stuff in suitcases. (Probably the nature of that room set up.)

We had one room without a closet. We provided an armoir with plenty of space for hanging and drawers and we also had a hanging rack similar to ones used in hotels in the bathroom. Never had a complaint.

We forgot the closet in our first room... we have a nice, sturdy clothes rack (not one of those flimsy tube ones) for hanging clothes which also has a shelf on top which holds the spare pillows and the iron. The ironing board leans on the wall behind it and the fan is on the bottom "shelf" of the rack. Not perfect but easy to find, easy to use, and everyone seems happy with it.
=)
Kk.

Converted a small out building to a guest room and bought an antique armoire for guests clothes. I still believe I need a few more hooks out there high up - esp for things that are longish like wedding/bridesmaid dresses etc. The ceiling is vaulted and exposed beams and there are a few hooks on the beams, so I have always figured guests could use those if needed.

Converted a small out building to a guest room and bought an antique armoire for guests clothes. I still believe I need a few more hooks out there high up - esp for things that are longish like wedding/bridesmaid dresses etc. The ceiling is vaulted and exposed beams and there are a few hooks on the beams, so I have always figured guests could use those if needed..
Yes! Good point about hooks to hang clothes on...we have a lot in all of our rooms.

Our small room (which came with the house) has a full closet, perhaps 10' long. Our new suite has a coat closet. I wanted more so I could also store in there, but it got taken up by a/c tubing. DARN!

Two room with closets; two room without, so those have armoires. All rooms have a dresser, although they're on the small side.

One room closet, one room antique armoire, the other three lots of hooks. We needed their closet to make bathrooms. Next winter we are removing the servants staircase gutting the second floor large bathroom. Combining the two will give us another small room to rent on the second floor and a pantry in the kitchen main floor.

Two room with closets; two room without, so those have armoires. All rooms have a dresser, although they're on the small side..
Personally, I think the requirement for a dresser is silly other than as a place to put "stuff" on top of it. How many people actually unpack and use a dresser for a B & B stay? If I am going to be somewhere for one or two nights. I just live out of the suitcase so I will not be as likely to lose something - note I said as likely.

Two room with closets; two room without, so those have armoires. All rooms have a dresser, although they're on the small side..
Personally, I think the requirement for a dresser is silly other than as a place to put "stuff" on top of it. How many people actually unpack and use a dresser for a B & B stay? If I am going to be somewhere for one or two nights. I just live out of the suitcase so I will not be as likely to lose something - note I said as likely.
gillumhouse said:
It really is just the flat surface that guests want here. BUT, my dressers also have the mirrors. I have swapped one out for a desk and have had no one mention it as a bad thing. And it is usually taken by a biz person who wants the desktop more than they would want a dresser with drawers.
For the person who does unpack, tho, I find that a nightstand with drawers works well. (Big nightstand.)
I use the top dresser drawer for 'stuff' like maps, brochures, flashlight, notepad, etc.

My experience is that the use of dressers depends on the length of stay. Short stays are less likely to unpack their stuff. Business travelers have always wanted plenty of hanging space and an iron and ironing board so they appreciate a closet.

Back