Cloth Napkins

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
Is it just us or is this a regional thing. Our guests consistently ask for paper napkins at the breakfast table even though we've placed nice cloth napkins next to their plates. They don't want to mess up our "nice napkins". I asked one fellow, who refused to use the cloth napkin because he didn't want us to have to wash it, if he also let himself drip dry after his shower rather than use a towel. They're all trying to be nice, but it's driving me nuts.

In Australia they don't even use those, they use their sleeves.
confused_smile.gif

our guests use our cloth napkins ... never had some ask for paper ... i do have paper ones in the library. recycled paper, they aren't very soft, maybe the guests don't like them!

We've never had anybody ask for paper. We have paper bev naps out for coffee and use cloth at breakfast. Mention that the cloth napkins are greener - reusable - and maybe they'll get it? I went to one of our more expensive restaurants in town and they use paper napkins. Not very impressive.

I don't have people ask for paper napkins, but I have them ask for paper towels pretty often... any time there's any kind of spill they come looking for one (or send a boy for one). We're green because we're frugal... the only time I use paper towels is for getting grease off bacon, and even then sometimes I use McDonald's napkins instead. So I don't have any paper towels handy... they get a kitchen towel instead.
It's green to use cloth napkins. We've been using them for years and years for that reason. If someone said they didn't want to use them because they were too nice I'd tell them they wash fine in the washer. Alternately I might give them a "less nice" cloth napkin, which are on the shelf with the coffee cups and tea bags... sometimes they help themselves to one of those.
I do have people who don't unfold their napkins from the fancy fold... apparently they're too pretty to use.
=)
Kk.

Simple answer, 'Sorry, we don't have paper napkins, this is a class act.' (You have to wrinkle your nose and get really nasal on the 'class' part to make it humorous.)
I have guests take the little napkins I have out for snacks back to the table for breakfast. If anyone brings up the washing scenario I say I'd rather wash and reuse than throw away the paper for every breakfast.

We've never had anybody ask for paper. We have paper bev naps out for coffee and use cloth at breakfast. Mention that the cloth napkins are greener - reusable - and maybe they'll get it? I went to one of our more expensive restaurants in town and they use paper napkins. Not very impressive..
muirford said:
We've never had anybody ask for paper. We have paper bev naps out for coffee and use cloth at breakfast. Mention that the cloth napkins are greener - reusable - and maybe they'll get it? I went to one of our more expensive restaurants in town and they use paper napkins. Not very impressive.
We ate out last night, went to one popular seafood place and the smoke about killed me and we had to leave. Ended up at SHAKERS. I think it is a chain? Not sure.
Two points of this post - #1 the girls were all excited as they had folded paper nakpins that appeared to be cloth. They had a whole discussion on where they must buy these.
#2 I saw on the side dishes potatoes ay gratin. I thought, WOW! I have never seen that offered in a restaurant before! How interesing. Ordered that and a salad.
Well guess what PEOPLE - It was the cheesy potato casserole/pie whatever the term in we use for it on this forum. It was shredded potatoes etc etc.
I proclaimed loudly and embarrassed the whole family "Why that's cheesy potato pie!"

I don't have people ask for paper napkins, but I have them ask for paper towels pretty often... any time there's any kind of spill they come looking for one (or send a boy for one). We're green because we're frugal... the only time I use paper towels is for getting grease off bacon, and even then sometimes I use McDonald's napkins instead. So I don't have any paper towels handy... they get a kitchen towel instead.
It's green to use cloth napkins. We've been using them for years and years for that reason. If someone said they didn't want to use them because they were too nice I'd tell them they wash fine in the washer. Alternately I might give them a "less nice" cloth napkin, which are on the shelf with the coffee cups and tea bags... sometimes they help themselves to one of those.
I do have people who don't unfold their napkins from the fancy fold... apparently they're too pretty to use.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Rubbish. Its green, come on everyone the bandwagon has to stop. You still have to wash the things which uses let's see electricity, gas for some, detergents, water, and more elctricity to dry and/or iron. Sorry, but I can't handle it anymore. Green schmeen.

It's not regional...it's what people are used to. We use cloth napkins too and I use different napkin rings every morning or fold them differently. It's a treat for folks who are not used to that kind of table service. I would just say, "You're on vacation (or you're our guest), we like to treat you special! Don't worry, it all comes out in the wash." Big smile
teeth_smile.gif
Heck, we had a couple of 11 year old girls that thought our table service was awesome!
I do have some nice luncheon sized paper napkins on the library table which we use for our coffee and tea service in the dining room. Sometimes folks will grab one if they get more coffee or another tea bag before we get in there to refill their hot beverages. If asked, I would offer them along with telling them that the cloth napkins are for them to use. We have beverage sized paper napkins in our guest service area on the second floor.
We use cloth napkins because of the type of service that we like to provide, not because I think it's more "green" :)

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Rubbish. Its green, come on everyone the bandwagon has to stop. You still have to wash the things which uses let's see electricity, gas for some, detergents, water, and more elctricity to dry and/or iron. Sorry, but I can't handle it anymore. Green schmeen.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Paper towels take just as much, and actually more, it's just not on the end of the user. After the trees are cut and processed, and the paper is bleached, and then dried and rolled... well then you have the electricity used for packaging, the energy consumed for shipping to a store, and the energy used to take it from store to home with you. By decreasing consumption in using cloth, it is actually saving money and energy in the long run. It may be more work on your end, but it's less in the big picture.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Paper towels take just as much, and actually more, it's just not on the end of the user. After the trees are cut and processed, and the paper is bleached, and then dried and rolled... well then you have the electricity used for packaging, the energy consumed for shipping to a store, and the energy used to take it from store to home with you. By decreasing consumption in using cloth, it is actually saving money and energy in the long run. It may be more work on your end, but it's less in the big picture.
amkaylor said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Okay just for the record here, have we met? Or are you just enthusiastic about this subject?
I understand the whole environment issue. Trust me. I lived on another continent where green peace started. I also lived in the NW where the salmon were worshipped and every tree was given a beddy bye hug.
What I am saying, and will be strung up here for saying it, is that everything at a B&B is not for a GREEN purpose. It is really nice that people like to justify this. We will provide a bottle of water in your room, hey it is recycled, so it is ok.
I am sure as heck not going to tell a guest "You better use that cloth napkin instead of killing our planet!"
We can all do whatever we can - I am a conservationist and wish for this beautiful land to remain intact for future generations. DARN STRAIGHT!
What I cannot stand is the phoney environmenalism for the sake of the bandwagon. Trying to always come across that everything we do is GREEN. Switching out light bulbs and giving dispensers for soap in the shower doesn't make you green.
Living a lifestyle that is green would make you green. Too many B&B's keep toting this but unless you are an eco-lodge, are not green. Do you have rack cards? WHY? THE INTERNET doesn't kill any forests.
BTW Trees are reharvestable. I am not talking old growth, I am talking trees. You can actually plant more of them.
I am not trying to anger everyone, but I am sure the wagon will all saddle up and let me have it now. That is okay, we are all in this together.
regular_smile.gif

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
amkaylor said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Okay just for the record here, have we met? Or are you just enthusiastic about this subject?
I understand the whole environment issue. Trust me. I lived on another continent where green peace started. I also lived in the NW where the salmon were worshipped and every tree was given a beddy bye hug.
What I am saying, and will be strung up here for saying it, is that everything at a B&B is not for a GREEN purpose. It is really nice that people like to justify this. We will provide a bottle of water in your room, hey it is recycled, so it is ok.
I am sure as heck not going to tell a guest "You better use that cloth napkin instead of killing our planet!"
We can all do whatever we can - I am a conservationist and wish for this beautiful land to remain intact for future generations. DARN STRAIGHT!
What I cannot stand is the phoney environmenalism for the sake of the bandwagon. Trying to always come across that everything we do is GREEN. Switching out light bulbs and giving dispensers for soap in the shower doesn't make you green.
Living a lifestyle that is green would make you green. Too many B&B's keep toting this but unless you are an eco-lodge, are not green. Do you have rack cards? WHY? THE INTERNET doesn't kill any forests.
BTW Trees are reharvestable. I am not talking old growth, I am talking trees. You can actually plant more of them.
I am not trying to anger everyone, but I am sure the wagon will all saddle up and let me have it now. That is okay, we are all in this together.
regular_smile.gif

I am brand new, and have not made an intro post, but I am also passionate about the topic. My husband and I are aspiring innkeepers, and I am getting my hands on as much information as possible about the business to make sure we are making a sound decision.
I, too, get frustrated with the "greenwashing" of everything and the bandwagon. Our B&B concept is actually to have an off-the-grid, eco B&B. My husband has been a "green builder and remodeler" for years and we've invested a lot in our knowledge of sustainable business, building, and so on. Our home, for instance, is almost entirely solar powered (there's nothing like seeing that you have a credit on your electric bill because you produced more than you could consume and fed it back to the power plant), we have entirely native, non-invasive landscaping, and we grow most of our own food, etc. Our eco-footprint is much more to us than the soap and the small things. It's something we live (and enjoy living) every single day.
I responded because it's so common for us to run into people who immediately think of the end result, without thinking of the process. And I apologize, for jumping in with my first comment and not explaining better. Like you, the bandwagon drives me nuts, especially if there is no thought behind it. Even those of us who are eco-savvy don't do everything just right all of the time.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
amkaylor said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
regular_smile.gif

I am brand new, and have not made an intro post, but I am also passionate about the topic. My husband and I are aspiring innkeepers, and I am getting my hands on as much information as possible about the business to make sure we are making a sound decision.
I, too, get frustrated with the "greenwashing" of everything and the bandwagon. Our B&B concept is actually to have an off-the-grid, eco B&B. My husband has been a "green builder and remodeler" for years and we've invested a lot in our knowledge of sustainable business, building, and so on. Our home, for instance, is almost entirely solar powered (there's nothing like seeing that you have a credit on your electric bill because you produced more than you could consume and fed it back to the power plant), we have entirely native, non-invasive landscaping, and we grow most of our own food, etc. Our eco-footprint is much more to us than the soap and the small things. It's something we live (and enjoy living) every single day.
I responded because it's so common for us to run into people who immediately think of the end result, without thinking of the process. And I apologize, for jumping in with my first comment and not explaining better. Like you, the bandwagon drives me nuts, especially if there is no thought behind it. Even those of us who are eco-savvy don't do everything just right all of the time.
amkaylor said:
NOW YOU ARE TALKIN! That is what I mean. Welcome to the forum. No apologies necessary, we come across diff online than in person anyway. Half of what I say I am humorous about, but it doesn't come across that way.
I applaud anyone who truly is green. It takes many sacrifices I applaud everyone for doing their part and AS MUCH as they can. I just am not passionate about justifying it to our guests, when most of what we do is in NO WAY ENVIRONMENTALLY friendly. Is it to make THEM feel good or for us to feel good? Or is it a way to promote our inns?
Australia is the orig green place. Most of it for very good reason. NO outdoor cats in entire cities due to wildlife endangerment. But it is true! Non native animals took out whole species. So I actually do "get it" prob more so than the forum thinks.
Anyway, like mentioned, if someone is truly green, then I applaud them. It is this MEDIA bandwagon that gets my goat! Your term Greenwashing is a good one.
Think about it, think about parents and grandparents and great grandparents. Now WHO WAS GREENER THAN THEY? I mean they recanned, they didn't buy and toss out jars and cans like we do today. They hung the laundry out, the recycled, dang, even wrapping paper rubber bands and tinsel!
This new generation acts like they are saving the world because they recycle a plastic waterbottle. That is all I wanted to say. I know I know I say too much.
WELCOME to the forum. Get in on ALL the topics. We're glad you are here with your perspective in the mix.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
amkaylor said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
regular_smile.gif

Welcome Amkaylor :welcome:

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
amkaylor said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
regular_smile.gif

Welcome Amkaylor :welcome:
Thanks! ;)

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
OK, the total bald truth: it's cheap. (Actually, it's frugal, I'm cheap.) Cloth napkins get thrown in with the rest of the wash... so the cost of washing them is negligible. Paper requires me to actually spend money, which I hate to do on something that gets thrown away. I even cringe when dh reaches for the plastic wrap... we have plastic containers for leftovers!
=)
Kk.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
amkaylor said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
regular_smile.gif

amkaylor said:
Well, you have now!
:welcome: !!!!
=)
Kk.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
OK, the total bald truth: it's cheap. (Actually, it's frugal, I'm cheap.) Cloth napkins get thrown in with the rest of the wash... so the cost of washing them is negligible. Paper requires me to actually spend money, which I hate to do on something that gets thrown away. I even cringe when dh reaches for the plastic wrap... we have plastic containers for leftovers!
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
=)
Kk.
YIPPEE!!! I love it. Nothing wrong with frugality. That was the whole reason I mentioned our ancesters - relatives - why would anyone throw stuff away and have to buy it again? They would have thought that foolishness. (Except of course diapers that is another subject altogether!)
We have bought into the disposable society, that is the issue right there. Let's get out of it.
shades_smile.gif

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
amkaylor said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
regular_smile.gif

amkaylor said:
NOW YOU ARE TALKIN! That is what I mean. Welcome to the forum. No apologies necessary, we come across diff online than in person anyway. Half of what I say I am humorous about, but it doesn't come across that way.
I applaud anyone who truly is green. It takes many sacrifices I applaud everyone for doing their part and AS MUCH as they can. I just am not passionate about justifying it to our guests, when most of what we do is in NO WAY ENVIRONMENTALLY friendly. Is it to make THEM feel good or for us to feel good? Or is it a way to promote our inns?
Australia is the orig green place. Most of it for very good reason. NO outdoor cats in entire cities due to wildlife endangerment. But it is true! Non native animals took out whole species. So I actually do "get it" prob more so than the forum thinks.
Anyway, like mentioned, if someone is truly green, then I applaud them. It is this MEDIA bandwagon that gets my goat! Your term Greenwashing is a good one.
Think about it, think about parents and grandparents and great grandparents. Now WHO WAS GREENER THAN THEY? I mean they recanned, they didn't buy and toss out jars and cans like we do today. They hung the laundry out, the recycled, dang, even wrapping paper rubber bands and tinsel!
This new generation acts like they are saving the world because they recycle a plastic waterbottle. That is all I wanted to say. I know I know I say too much.
WELCOME to the forum. Get in on ALL the topics. We're glad you are here with your perspective in the mix.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Yes, yes, and yes. It makes us feel good, them feel good, and promotes our inns. Just this moment I got the following email:
This is [guest] and I love you're "About Us" page. The fact that you are green makes even happier that I gave you a call!
Great stuff!
Regards,
[Guest]

So, he didn't actually pick me because we're green, but finding that we are makes him happier about choosing us. Feeling good is a good thing in a guest... he's already talking about booking his next visit.
=)
Kk.

Back