cloths hangers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kattrin

Reaction score
I know there was a link recently about stealing items like post cards and water. My issue is clothes hangers. We provide nice wooden ones in the main house rooms and nice plastic ones in the guest house. I have to buy new ones about once a month to replace the ones that are taken. There are no wire hangers left so the guest did not bring their own so why take mine. Take the shampoo and the soap and even the water but please, leave my hangers.
sad_smile.gif

But they are nicer than the ones I have at home.... And if I put my dress in the suitcase it will wrinkle so it is better on the hanger going home. You would not want my dress to get wrinkled would you?

Yep, the wooden hangers go on a regular basis. I buy in bulk in anticipation of constant loss.

We had a run of that a few years ago. Now wooden hangers are so cheap (10/$10 at Lowe's) that they don't go missing anymore.
Sorry to hear that's happening. Best bet is to just buy them in bulk. Or just put the plastic ones out.

We had a run of that a few years ago. Now wooden hangers are so cheap (10/$10 at Lowe's) that they don't go missing anymore.
Sorry to hear that's happening. Best bet is to just buy them in bulk. Or just put the plastic ones out..
Our Association gives a tick mark for plastic hangers. They are so cheap now - I got mine at Big Lots - that even I have wood only. I even gave away most of my OWN (my side of the door) plastic hangers to the mission when I cleared closets - everything went on the hanger!

or you could invest in those closet poles with the hangers that are attached like in hotels.
wink_smile.gif
sorry, that was evil.
i didn't have any noticeable nice hanger theft but i did have lots of wire hangers left behind. ugh

That's really a shame. We have never had wooden hangers go missing. We also have nice fabric padded hangers in the rooms. We regularly get wire hangers and other wooden hangers left behind.

We use an attractive oval gold label with our logo on it for various purposes. It has powerful adhesive on it and is difficult to remove once placed on a surface. After our wooden hangers kept departing with the guests, I began to affix one of the pretty labels to the thick part of the hanger, just under the hook that goes over the closet rods. I figured at least when the hanger reaches their closet, the guests will think about us each time they see it. Sure enough, several guests sent us emails that they realized that they had our hanger when they unpacked. One offered to mail it back to us (which would've cost more that a bunch of hangers since we now can find them reasonably priced.) We have jokingly told each of them that our inn policies required each guest with our hangers to personally return to the inn on at least a three night stay to return the hanger. And then we tell them to please keep the hanger, with our blessings.
We figure each person with one of our personalized hangers is a volunteer member of our marketing committee - even if the marketing is just to their family. And price isn't a huge issue when replacing the hangers. It is more of an issue to just go out and get the hangers. We started our bed and breakfast 6 years ago and learned along the way. Now, when we spot the hangers during our regular shopping, we simply add a box now and then to our storage supply for future use. Some of the organizations we are members of list wooden hangers in their criteria for inspections. While plastic ones won't flunk since points taken off are few, wooden ones are preferred.

We use an attractive oval gold label with our logo on it for various purposes. It has powerful adhesive on it and is difficult to remove once placed on a surface. After our wooden hangers kept departing with the guests, I began to affix one of the pretty labels to the thick part of the hanger, just under the hook that goes over the closet rods. I figured at least when the hanger reaches their closet, the guests will think about us each time they see it. Sure enough, several guests sent us emails that they realized that they had our hanger when they unpacked. One offered to mail it back to us (which would've cost more that a bunch of hangers since we now can find them reasonably priced.) We have jokingly told each of them that our inn policies required each guest with our hangers to personally return to the inn on at least a three night stay to return the hanger. And then we tell them to please keep the hanger, with our blessings.
We figure each person with one of our personalized hangers is a volunteer member of our marketing committee - even if the marketing is just to their family. And price isn't a huge issue when replacing the hangers. It is more of an issue to just go out and get the hangers. We started our bed and breakfast 6 years ago and learned along the way. Now, when we spot the hangers during our regular shopping, we simply add a box now and then to our storage supply for future use. Some of the organizations we are members of list wooden hangers in their criteria for inspections. While plastic ones won't flunk since points taken off are few, wooden ones are preferred..
Mountain Inn said:
We use an attractive oval gold label with our logo on it for various purposes. It has powerful adhesive on it and is difficult to remove once placed on a surface. After our wooden hangers kept departing with the guests, I began to affix one of the pretty labels to the thick part of the hanger, just under the hook that goes over the closet rods. I figured at least when the hanger reaches their closet, the guests will think about us each time they see it.
That's called a souvenir

We figure each person with one of our personalized hangers is a volunteer member of our marketing committee - even if the marketing is just to their family. And price isn't a huge issue when replacing the hangers. It is more of an issue to just go out and get the hangers. We started our bed and breakfast 6 years ago and learned along the way. Now, when we spot the hangers during our regular shopping, we simply add a box now and then to our storage supply for future use. Some of the organizations we are members of list wooden hangers in their criteria for inspections. While plastic ones won't flunk since points taken off are few, wooden ones are preferred..
That's a great "branding" strategy. I do the same thing. I figure if anybody takes something from my inn, whether intentional or not, it should have a logo or information about the inn. That way, they'll remember us each and every time they see it.
We do a lot of branding here and in my opinion it does two things: great advertising and makes our business look more professional.

That's a great "branding" strategy. I do the same thing. I figure if anybody takes something from my inn, whether intentional or not, it should have a logo or information about the inn. That way, they'll remember us each and every time they see it.
We do a lot of branding here and in my opinion it does two things: great advertising and makes our business look more professional.
Breakfast Diva said:
The same reason every ramada inn bar across America has logo'd ashtrays. (just an example, not sure if they do, but most of those places do that)

Back