Clueing in the clueless

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
How do you excentuate the obvious to the oblivious? We have had quite a bit of rain this week and mud abounds.
I have a young couple here that have completely ignored the mats at the doors and on the porch to wipe their feet.
Now I have muddy footprints all up and down my beige hall carpet and stairs. How can people not get it?
Wiping your feet seems simple enought. Dollars to donuts they don't do this at home. Grrrrrrrrrr!
I considering tacking on an inconvenience fee....

The Farmers Daughter said:
How do you excentuate the obvious to the oblivious? We have had quite a bit of rain this week and mud abounds.
I have a young couple here that have completely ignored the mats at the doors and on the porch to wipe their feet.
Now I have muddy footprints all up and down my beige hall carpet and stairs. How can people not get it?
Wiping your feet seems simple enought. Dollars to donuts they don't do this at home. Grrrrrrrrrr!
After weeks of lots of rain you could always ask guests when they check in to please remove their shoes whenever they come in the house.

After weeks of lots of rain you could always ask guests when they check in to please remove their shoes whenever they come in the house..
JeannineIrish said:
After weeks of lots of rain you could always ask guests when they check in to please remove their shoes whenever they come in the house.
Has anyone ever done that?

It can get pretty muddy around here, yet I have yet to see guests track mud in, and we have brick floors, so it really is not a big deal. Go figure. You have the carpet, they bring in the mud. We have the bricks, and they don't.
I bet they DO do that at home and their house is trashed. They probably always had mom clean up after them. Doesn't mean you have to. I would ask them if they would be so kind as to leave muddy shoes outside.

No shoes in house. Period. End of story. I haven't had anybody stomping out because I don't allow outside shoes inside the house.

No shoes in house. Period. End of story. I haven't had anybody stomping out because I don't allow outside shoes inside the house..
I agree. We often stay in B&Bs, and once even in an historic Inn, where shoes were not permitted and it was no problem, as long as there's plenty of space in the foyer area to store the shoes out of the way. You have to remember, you make the rules, the guests follow them.

I have had horse people leave their shoes on the porch so they do not track the house up with stable shoes. I appreciate it, but do not require it. There is a shoe scraper on the porch that many make use of.

It can get pretty muddy around here, yet I have yet to see guests track mud in, and we have brick floors, so it really is not a big deal. Go figure. You have the carpet, they bring in the mud. We have the bricks, and they don't.
I bet they DO do that at home and their house is trashed. They probably always had mom clean up after them. Doesn't mean you have to. I would ask them if they would be so kind as to leave muddy shoes outside..
aieechihuahua said:
I bet they DO do that at home and their house is trashed. They probably always had mom clean up after them. Doesn't mean you have to. I would ask them if they would be so kind as to leave muddy shoes outside.
Yep, mom cleaned their butts and their paw prints and never whacked them for the prints! We have too many people, too many stairs, too much going on to require no shoes. We leave our, purposly, muddy shoes near the door and some people get the idea and take theirs off. Mostly we just grimace and clean up their paw prints, but not their butts....

We get a lot of rain! We have brick sidewalks, a outdoor banboo carpet on the veranda to the door yet so many wait until they are in the door and on to my wool rug in the entrance to wipe their feet. This just makes me boil just thinking about it. So FD, I can relate.
I have thought of creating a creative sign (more like a piece of art) that reminds everyone to wipe their shoes before entering.

I read about one NE B&B that does not allow shoes in the house, but the Innkeeper provides a giant bowl of hand-knitted slippers for people to wear while in the house.

I read about one NE B&B that does not allow shoes in the house, but the Innkeeper provides a giant bowl of hand-knitted slippers for people to wear while in the house..
A B& B near us does that...I don't think they are knitted, but there are a bunch of 'washable" slippers at the front door.

Back