Code violations close mansion to lodgers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Code violations close mansion to lodgers[/FONT]
The Spokesman Review
Muzzy Mansion owners didn't get building permits or a certificate of occupancy when converting the home to a bed and breakfast. The historic Muzzy Mansion ...

(JB note - I hope this wasn't our innkeeper from Seattle who wanted to open a B&B in Spokane?)

Wow, not only did they shut them down, they condemned the building? Stiff penalty for not getting permits. Pay attention future B&B owners! You need your permits!

The order was issued May 28, owners Mike Schultz and Steven Sanford said in a letter to Spokane Mayor Mary Verner.

Wow, not only did they shut them down, they condemned the building? Stiff penalty for not getting permits. Pay attention future B&B owners! You need your permits!.
Morticia said:
Wow, not only did they shut them down, they condemned the building? Stiff penalty for not getting permits. Pay attention future B&B owners! You need your permits!
I've seen properties in California get red-tagged for just this. Right in the middle of season, too.
My feeling on permits is that whatever it is that the county and/or state is requiring is probably for safety reasons to begin with - so why would you want to cut corners there? Here there are often crazy-sounding requirements ranging from retrofitting to fire prevention measures. But when you think about why they're needed, they stop seeming so crazy. When the shaking starts, I really want everyone in the building to survive thankyouverymuch. And don't get me started on folks who ignore fire danger in the west.
And anyone who thinks they will get away with opening a B&B without the permit inspectors knowing about it is, well, not paying a whole lot of attention to their world.
Neighbors talk. Competitors make phone calls. Inspectors just check on things they recognize as new.
Just gonna happen.
Get permits people!!!!!

silly silly owners ... who did the work? why weren't the proper permits pulled? doing all that work, putting all that money into it and not doing so doesn't make sense.

Back