Coffee and Sweeteners

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say that our Southerners here do drink their coffee very sweet w/white sugar and no cream. I remember a few of the Dunkin' Donuts crowd of coffee drinkers that really added a lot of cream...tons!
Of the artificial sweeteners for coffee, first yellow and then green - very few takers on blue & pink (I still have a bunch as we don't use it). The sugar in the raw was more popular with folks from other regions and was probably used by them entirely rather than white sugar. A few folks tried the blue agave sweetener in their coffee but that seemed to be used mostly in teas.
I think black coffee was probably 65%-70%, and the rest took half and half. (Some folks really like the flavored Mini Moos and added several.) Only folks from outside of the U.S. requested plain milk in their coffee.
I do not brew weak coffee here.....
Samster said:
first yellow and then green -
What sweetner come in green?

I would say that our Southerners here do drink their coffee very sweet w/white sugar and no cream. I remember a few of the Dunkin' Donuts crowd of coffee drinkers that really added a lot of cream...tons!
Of the artificial sweeteners for coffee, first yellow and then green - very few takers on blue & pink (I still have a bunch as we don't use it). The sugar in the raw was more popular with folks from other regions and was probably used by them entirely rather than white sugar. A few folks tried the blue agave sweetener in their coffee but that seemed to be used mostly in teas.
I think black coffee was probably 65%-70%, and the rest took half and half. (Some folks really like the flavored Mini Moos and added several.) Only folks from outside of the U.S. requested plain milk in their coffee.
Samster said:

I love strong coffee-we have a "seecret" that we've used at the B & B so we buy Fogers, Maxhouse or any reasonable priced "DARK" roasted coffee and then buy a small bag of good coffee and mix both of them and our guests LOVE it..
Folgers is also what we use. I have tried every kind from the top of the line to the cheapest. I aways listen to my guests and I get more good comments from Folgers than any other brand. So I am sticking with it. What people like it the key not really the price.

Here are some more stats (none of these verified at all fyi and are at odds with the first post, so there ya go):
[COLOR= rgb(153, 153, 153)]Over 50% of Americans over 18 years of age drink coffee every day. This represents over 150 million daily drinkers. 30 million American adults drink specialty coffee beverages daily; which include a mocha, latte, espresso, café mocha, cappuccino, frozen/iced coffee beverages, etc.[/COLOR]
Coffee statistics show that among coffee drinkers the average consumption in the United States is 3.1 cups of coffee per day.
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']
right_boxed_arrow.gif
[/FONT][FONT= 'Times New Roman'] [/FONT][FONT= 'Times New Roman']Women indicated that drinking coffee is a good way to relax. Men indicated that coffee helps them get the job done[/FONT]
[tr]
right_boxed_arrow.gif
The average price for an espresso based drink is $2.45[/td][/tr][tr] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr] [/td]
right_boxed_arrow.gif
The average price for brewed coffee is $1.38.[/td][/tr][/table]
[tr]
right_boxed_arrow.gif
35% of coffee drinkers prefer black coffee[/td][/tr][tr] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr]
right_boxed_arrow.gif
65% prefer to add sugar and/or cream[/td][/tr][/table].
Interesting thing about tea. ( I know this post is about coffee )
It is the only drink that people drink to wake them up and also put them to sleep
It is the only drink that people drink that can wind them up or calm them down.
When I thought about that I see it is true.
Just thought I would throw that in.

Since getting our half and half delivered from the local dairy and putting it out in their charming glass bottles we have about tripled the amount we use...people are just enamored of it. I'm a half and half lover myself so I'm glad they're happy with it.
We never go through any decaf unless there are seniors in the house. Seniors also tend to drink coffee black, the younger crowd loves their "sweet and light"..
Could you post a picture of the charming glass bottles. I would love to see it.

Samster said:
Any of the Stevia products - Truvia, Stevia in the Raw, etc.

Very strange thing happening here this week. I have guests from Turkey who swear our sugar is not as sweet as theirs. They use cubed sugar at home and say it tastes totally different. Can't figure that one out. Isn't sugar the same everywhere?

Very strange thing happening here this week. I have guests from Turkey who swear our sugar is not as sweet as theirs. They use cubed sugar at home and say it tastes totally different. Can't figure that one out. Isn't sugar the same everywhere?.
Country Girl said:
Very strange thing happening here this week. I have guests from Turkey who swear our sugar is not as sweet as theirs. They use cubed sugar at home and say it tastes totally different. Can't figure that one out. Isn't sugar the same everywhere?
No. It depends on what the base is for their sugar- sugar cane, beets, whatever.

Very strange thing happening here this week. I have guests from Turkey who swear our sugar is not as sweet as theirs. They use cubed sugar at home and say it tastes totally different. Can't figure that one out. Isn't sugar the same everywhere?.
Country Girl said:
No. It depends on what the base is for their sugar- sugar cane, beets, whatever.
Alibi Ike said:
Country Girl said:
That's true. I never thought of that.

I've tried stevia products but find they have an after taste. Maybe it's me.
Question about honey: do you serve it to your tea drinkers? If so, what's the least messy way to do it?

Question about honey: do you serve it to your tea drinkers? If so, what's the least messy way to do it?.
I have very few tea drinkers and a very small percentage of the tea drinkers who choose honey. For me, the practical way is to have a small squeeze bottle with a lid. The honey can be microwaved in this dispenser when it begins to crystallize, or replaced with another small squeeze bottle.

Question about honey: do you serve it to your tea drinkers? If so, what's the least messy way to do it?.
Newbatgirl said:
Question about honey: do you serve it to your tea drinkers? If so, what's the least messy way to do it?
For honey, there is a device that is made of wood and has a "bulb" with grooves on the bottom of a stick and is called a honey dipper (this is NOT the honey dipper we referred to when I was a kid). This will scoop up the honey with a twirling motion and as long as it is twirled usually will not drip. As for the stevia, if you got the after taste, you just used too much. It is so strong that a VERY little goes a long way. I use a scant 3/8 of a teaspoon in a muffin recipe to replace 1/2 to 3/4 cups of sugar. The after taste of stevia is sort of like licorice.
In my sugar replacement container I stock blue, pink, yellow, and green.

I found an oil for salad dispenser and made a larger hole in the rubber gasket. They can then pour honey.

We offer the yellow packets (generic splena) from the cost warehouse. I find that Stevia divides up into those who find it has an aftertaste and those that don't. I find it does.

I have very few tea drinkers and a very small percentage of the tea drinkers who choose honey. For me, the practical way is to have a small squeeze bottle with a lid. The honey can be microwaved in this dispenser when it begins to crystallize, or replaced with another small squeeze bottle.
Don't heat the honey. It causes worse crystallization. Stand the bottle iN a south facing window.

We have all of the sweeteners out all the time. We have the honey in a squeeze bottle shaped like a bear. I get the honey locally.

We offer the yellow packets (generic splena) from the cost warehouse. I find that Stevia divides up into those who find it has an aftertaste and those that don't. I find it does..
Maybe it's like cilantro that way! :)
I was thinking more like taro root (poi) but basically the same idea. Most people find that poi has no taste, to me, it's like putting papier macher on the tongue, yuck.

I used local honey in a squeeze bottle but now can find the honey sticks here. I would use those. Quite a few of our tea drinkers also liked the liquid agave sweetener.

Back